An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

What to do if you relapse

Discussion in 'Alcohol and Drug Relapse Support' started by kevinkimers, Nov 12, 2014.

1. kevinkimers

kevinkimers Community Champion

I wasn't sure where to put this so I thought maybe this was as good a place as any.

I recently ran across an article in Addiction Basics talking about "Dealing With A Relapse Or Slip" so I thought I'd post the link for everyone to read.

In the article the author Bill Urell states "The best way to deal with a relapse or slip is to have an effective relapse prevention plan in place to begin with so that it never occurs. Even with the best laid plans, relapses or ‘slips’ do occur. A relapse contract or contingency plan is a good tool to deal with a crisis if it occurs."

Basically, even if you slip up you can't give up.

Hope this helps!
    Joseph likes this.
  2. Nick W.

Nick W. Community Listener Community Listener

Hello,
    Thanks for the post! I think that you are 100% accurate. It's important to not give up and surrender to the addiction. Once a person relapses, they need to look at it as if they lost a round in the fight, not the whole fight. Having a strategy is something that is really going to help, but also being willing to admit what went wrong, and how to stop it from happening again is a great plan.
    stariie, angel_lou and Joseph like this.
  3. Twinsmommy31

Twinsmommy31 Active Contributor

I think that sounds great. A plan of action is always a good way to prevent a relapse or help a person trying to get through a relapse. A good plan and a good attitude can help keep any person on track.
    Nick W. likes this.
  4. DancingLady

DancingLady Community Champion

Excellent advice in that article. Never giving up is the most important thing in dealing with an addiction. Sometimes mistakes happen, but we can learn from them and not let ourselves be defeated by one bad day. I think a good reminder for any addict who has slipped is to stop and think about how many good days they have had. One bad one does not have to negate all the good ones.
    Joseph and Nick W. like this.
  5. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

I would say that when you slip or relapse, try to keep a positive state of mind no matter how much you feel like you will "never be able to shake the addiction". Relapse occurs in people during times of high stress. Recognizing what led to the "slip" is most important. It helps to put a perspective on one's overall pattern of addiction. Talking to a friend, counselor, or AA, also should never be underestimated
  6. Zyni

Zyni Community Champion

Relapse seems to be pretty common. I think it can make people feel like they failed, but that's not really true. It's a setback for sure, but they can and should keep going. We have to take into account that we are not perfect, and if we do slip, we can't just give up. Sharing experiences with others who have also had setbacks, learning how they coped, can be a big help. Just knowing you're not alone can make all the difference sometimes.
  7. Daniel Lucky

Daniel Lucky Active Contributor

If you fall pick yourself up and try again. We are all not perfect and deal with so much stress daily it makes no sense. Making mistakes is apart of the learning process so look at the factors that caused you to relapse and try to prevent yourself from committing those same acts. I relapsed so many times I can't even count, but here I am today strong in my recovery because I never gave up. Remember you can just don't give up!
  8. sillylucy

sillylucy Community Champion

I think that a majority of recovering addicts will relapse and they may even relapse more than once. The one thing to remember is to keep pushing forward and working towards your recovery. Sure, there will be bumps in the road, but you don't stop. You keep going.
  9. Profit5500

Profit5500 Senior Contributor

It is like a haunted past coming back to bite you when you do not want it to. Addiction is something that you cannot whisk away. You can recover from the addiction but you have to make sure that you are not relapsing. It is just something you cannot run from so you have to push yourself to stay sober.
  10. muthoni

muthoni Active Contributor

I agree with you, the first thing to remember is that we are human and will make mistakes from time to time. The worst thing to do after relapsing is hating on self. This should be a learning experience so that you do not relapse again. Living clean is a daily commitment; therefore do your very best and take one day at a time.
  11. Miles Hansen

Miles Hansen Member

Relapsing is nothing to be ashamed of: Hell I've almost been there several times. What's important is that if you think you might relapse, or you're concerned about someone you know: Get help and offer help.
    One needs support when going through this, most people can't do it alone! If you've already relapsed, that is ok as well! Ask for some help, talk to a therapist/a friend/your sponsor/your family! Aand remember that no matter what you are not alone! You will get through this.
  12. greensat

greensat Member

Yes, I agree with you. The best way to not do something is to prevent it in the first place. So whenever you feel like you have to take the drug or whatnot, make sure that the process is difficult in order for you to acquire the drugs or whatnot and is able to make you reflect upon what you're doing and what you're going to do.
  13. tasha

tasha Community Listener Community Listener

Once you have become sober it is a must to ensure that you are away from the temptation and the issues that made you start in the first place. Meetings are something that you will always have to go to and you will at some stage want to fall back into bad habits which could be triggered by anything. Keep that in mind and have a sponsor on speed dial for the times where you are feeling down and weak, go to meetings regularly and stay away from friends or places that could tempt you.
  14. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I agree. It's best to plan ahead, because even if you are confident in your abilities you never know if something would set you off in the future so it's best to know what to do in those cases. I think the best state of mind to be in after a relapse would be to remind yourself that making one mistake doesn't mean you have to go all in again. Those types of mindsets are unfortunately what is ingrained in most addicts, though.
  15. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Community Champion

Yep, we should create the conditions not to relapse, get away from people and situations that might lead us to that because if we do relapse it will be much harder to quit again.
  16. Aaron

Aaron Member

Tim Ferriss states to inquire about the most common points of failure in any venture. This way you're prepared in some aspect. I've took this advice in consideration for most of my life, except addiction. This is enlightening, I appreciate you sharing this. This is definitely an eye opener.
  17. Gelsemium

I think that we should not break, I mean, so much work to quit the addiction and in one moment of weakness lose all that effort? We should remain strong!
  18. tasha

tasha Community Listener Community Listener

Many people have relapsed and it does make you feel weak and worthless, leading onto another sip or I can stop now so it wont harm me. Unfortunately people have to look at addictions as a permanent piece of their wardrobe which will be there forever lurking around and all they need to know is that it is a continous fight against evil and they are the superheros that need to prevent the evil from returning. Stay away from places and people that could influence you and keep going to the meetings!!!!
  19. Gelsemium

I think that the problem is not falling down, but the time it takes us to get back up. Either cases, if we fall too many times, we just might not be strong enough to get back on our feet.
    Joseph likes this.
  20. Nick W.

Nick W. Community Listener Community Listener

I don't know. Sometimes people get tired of falling down. They start to feel like staying up is impossible. I think that is where having a solid support system really comes into play. You want someone that can be there for you, but also push you just past what you think your limits are. Everyone is strong enough to get back up, everyone.

My favorite author, the Ancient Roman Emperor Marcus Aurelius once said, "“Because your own strength is unequal to the task, do not assume that it is beyond the powers of man; but if anything is within the powers and province of man, believe that it is within your own compass also."
    Joseph likes this.