An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

What to tell people who always bug you about smoking

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by amin021023, Oct 11, 2015.

1. amin021023

amin021023 Community Champion

So I'm in a college dormitory and people see that I smoke, some of them totally ignore it while there are others who bug me about it, the thing is I choose to smoke for some reason. That's on me, not them. so what should I say to keep them off of me.
  2. 111kg

111kg Community Champion

If you smoke in a college dormitory, then this is the reason people bug you. It's not polite, at least in my country.

As long as they don't get to be passive smokers because of you, then there is no reason to bug you. But nobody has to stay in rooms filled of smoke just because a person sees nothing wrong in smoking in a college dormitory.
  3. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I also do not think that it is right to smoke in a place where there are others who might suffered from the secondhand smoke. The smell of the smoke could also be irritating for others especially if it is in a close room. Some might be just concern about you too. But true that it is your own decision and it is not illegal, maybe just do it in your private space so that no one will bug you about it.
    doatk22 likes this.
  4. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I'm a smoker but people don't challenge me about it because when and were I smoke doesn't inflict any harm on them, only on myself.

Everyone as the right to choose what they do and don't want to do in life, but as a smoker, it's important to make sure that your actions don't affect others.
  5. Mims

Mims Active Contributor

People bug me about my smoking, but most of my friends have just gotten used to it. They may tease me abut it sometimes, but I can just ignore them and go about my way. There isn't much I can think to say to ppl simply because you'll always see someone that will bug you after the habit.
  6. L_B

L_B Community Champion

People are just concerned that is why they bug you about it. I am sure they are only looking out for your best interest. Smoking is not good for you and yes I know it is your choice to smoke and you are going to do it regardless of their concerns but they are just voicing their opinions.
  7. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

Well, I think you should have a talk with the people bugging you! While they're kind of rude for trying to get on your nerves you're supposed to respect the persons near you, I don't think it's a nice deed to smoke in a college dormitory. Maybe you can come to an agreement.
  8. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

Could I ask, do you smoke in the dorm itself or are people just bugging you about smoking in general? If you do smoke in the dorm then it's time to stop right now and step outside in future.Second hand smoke is carcinogenic after all and it's unfair to subject others to it.

As for people who just bug you in general about it, yes, I know it's annoying (I smoked for over 20 years so I know how it feels) but these people only have your best interests at heart. Because they haven't ever smoked, they have no idea about the pull which nicotine has on a person and think it's simply a matter of not lighting up again. As every smoker in the world knows, quitting is far harder than that!
  9. henry

henry Community Champion

I agree with most posters. It's not cool imposing your cigarette smoke on everyone else. You should just try smoking outside, in some place where you can enjoy your smoke alone. If people still bug you about it, then you can tell them to go jump in a lake.
  10. amin021023

@missbishi: no I don't smoke in the dorm rooms, I go outside and light up. but there is this guy who's always bugging me which makes me think I shouldn't give a **** about them and light up in the room.
  11. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Community Champion

I can relate to the irritation people have with smoking. If you're smoking outside, it shouldn't be such a big issue. I just would make sure not to smoke around anyone and if you do, simply ask if they mind you lighting up a cigarette. That's what I used to do when I was a smoker and it helped me avoid a lot of issues.
  12. amin021023

last night I lit up a cig in the room and after it gone, my roomate asked me not to smoke in the room again and I politely accepted, I know it's not cool to light up when you're roommates aren't okey with it.
  13. aztec99

aztec99 Member

There is really noth
    There is nothing you can say! You are jeopardizing your own health and the health of those around you. We cannot consider negative, and destructive behavior as a legitimate personal choice, Rather than worrying about how to modify other peoples behavior, your time is better spent modifying your own. I smoked cigarettes for many years. I began smoking out of ignorance, and I continued as the result of an addiction to tobacco.
  14. amin021023

Why not? it's my choice to not quit something that harmful, at least not yet. and I respect them and their habits whatever it might be as long as it doesn't effect me, so they should respect my habits too as long as it doesn't effect them.
  15. aztec99

aztec99 Member

If you are in college then you must be very young. Even if you do not smoke around others, they are still justified in giving you a hard time about it. It is common for young people to dismiss danger, as their bodies are young and healthy, and so they feel invincible. They also believe that time is on their side, and that they can "cheat the hangman". But lung cancer ,C.O.P.D., and other tobacco related illnesses are no joke! You are annoyed now because of people bugging you about smoking. They are trying to save your life. If you continue to smoke you may find that a cancer eating you up from the inside out, or the inability to walk down the street without the aid of an oxygen tank, is far more annoying.
  16. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

Maybe if you do it away from the dorm it may help. I think it's second hand smoke that may be bothering people. You have the right to do what you want as long as it doesn't effect everyone else. I think smoking away from the dorm will solve this problem. If your not in your dorm smoking what can they say? Smoking is bad for your health tho.
  17. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

Go take a walk and smoke away from the dormitory and things should be fine. There are some people which are really irritated and bugged by the smell of cigarettes, and can't stand it. Better do it outside to make sure you're not disturbing anyone. Remember, you are not alone there!
  18. JakeLamotta

JakeLamotta Active Contributor

I really think that smoking is hardly an addiction and even if it is it's not lethal at all. We in the third world countries inhale more Carbon dioxide riding a bus or a rickshaw in a day than smoking a pack of cigarettes. And I have been smoking for six months now and I am not addicted. Sometimes I don't smoke for days and sometime I smoke 4-5 cigarettes. A cigarette is in my view is as addictive as tea or coffee.
  19. Mara

Mara Community Champion

Perhaps you can try smoking outside, or somewhere else where people won't bug you about it.When you smoke, people around you are involuntarily inhaling the smoke coming from you. Second hand smoke is dangerous too so better not expose others to it.
  20. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

When I read your tittle I thought that they trying to force you to smoke. It's more then natural that they try to make you stop. They just looking out for you, but might not be expressing themselves in the right way.