An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

What was the first step you did to change your life?

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by mwin43587, Jun 4, 2015.

1. mwin43587

mwin43587 Active Contributor

I did not post this thread to embarrassed drug addicts, former drug addicts, or anyone. I would like you to be an inspiration to us. This is not just for addicted people, this is for all of us. What was the first step you did to change your life? ( Not only about drugs)
  2. rcdpink

rcdpink Active Contributor

I believe at the time I started to develop a great and intense interest in reading. Because of the constant reading, I came across the bible. This book caused me to look within myself and see not just the damage to myself but to my creator. The first thing I did was to acknowledge my ways and thereafter it was easier to turn around.
  3. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I think the first step to embracing change in your life is to admitting to yourself that you did a mistake. Once you have realized this one, eventually, you would try to look for ways to change your lifestyle, either by keeping yourself busy with hobbies/activities or finding your true passion in life.
    whitenoise likes this.
  4. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Upon realizing that I had a problem the first step I took to change my life is get rid of everything that would tempt me to start using the drug I'd been abusing. I think it worked for me because with the stuff that would trigger me gone, I could focus all my attention on doing other things. Kept myself busy and it's getting easier [to do without the drugs] as time progresses.
  5. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Personally, the first thing I realised I had to do was seek professional help. I went through a period where I thought I could do it by myself, I kep quitting but always went back to my old ways, so in the end I had to admit that I'll need outside help. That's the only reason I managed to quit.
  6. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

The first step was to get up and start living healthy. Being addicted to something it's just a mental thing and everyone could easily overcome an addiction if they're willing to do so.
    Once I was motivated and inspired my road to recovery started and I didn't stop until I completely stopped being addicted.
  7. Nadeshiko

Nadeshiko Member

Well, my first step was realizing that I had a problem. Once I realize that, it set off a chain event that caused me to look back upon how I'd wasted my life on such a terrible addiction - how I ignored the fact that it was very real until it was nearly too late to turn back. After that, I started eating all organic foods and tried my best to at least get a walk in to and from the bus-stop. I managed my water in-take, kept track of my caloric intake (to gain weight, not lose it), and even became a Buddhist during that period of time (much like most of my family had already been).

A lot of the time, one good thing sets off a big chain; and after that, it's an upward slope to happiness.
  8. gracer

gracer Community Champion

It is a wonderful thing to be in touched with your spirituality and open up to your faith. If nothing seems to be working out right, just fall on your knees and acknowledge your mistakes. Ask for forgiveness for all your sins and ask for guidance. He will always find a way for you no matter what. Having a strong faith is enough to help an addicted person change for the better.
  9. whitenoise

whitenoise Senior Contributor

I share this thought. If you first admit your mistake then you'll face also the damage you have done and you can start a new life with the consciousness of this which is not that trivial.
    dyanmarie25 likes this.
  10. mwin43587

mwin43587 Active Contributor

Thank you for sharing guys, well appreciated :)
  11. SarahWorksAtHome

SarahWorksAtHome Community Champion

I called my mother and asked her to come over. I explained to her when she got there that I thought I had a problem and needed to stop it then and there so she helped me flush every substance in my house down the toilet.
  12. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I had to distance myself from the friends that were helping to enable the behavior. It's hard to do when they're basically the only friends that were in my life at the time - I had 2 friends outside that circle that I could rely on that weren't into heavy drinking all the time. It was a lonely first step, but it was the right step to take - at the time parts of me thought if I was doing the right thing..,but looking back it wasn't just a needed step, but an absolutely necessary one as part of my recovery.
  13. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

The first thing you have to do is accept that fact that you have a problem and you need, and want to change. That's a pretty simple and straight forward answer. No matter how much other people try to help you, nothing will work unless you want to change.