An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

What was the thing you regret the most?

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by mwin43587, Jun 4, 2015.

1. mwin43587

mwin43587 Active Contributor

What was the thing you regret the most?
  2. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I know it sounds a bit like a cheesy cliche, but honestly, I don't regret anything I have done in the past because I have learned a lot from all those mistakes I have made. If I haven't been through them, I wouldn't be who I am today.
  3. oraclemay

oraclemay Community Champion

I would most likely say getting married, but then I would not have my son and he is a blessing to me. It is difficult to regret things because when you made the mistakes you were not aware that you were making them.
  4. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

What I regret the most . . . all the time and money the addiction cost me. Had I spent that time doing other things, it could even be learning something new that would help while away the time when I am idle, I think I'd have learned a lot of things by now. Think of losing 15 years of your life. It's more like being in prison but what makes it worse is that I could have freed myself from it if only I'd decided to fight and beat the addiction earlier.
  5. lissetetiff

lissetetiff Member

I regret dismissing my parent's constant advice sessions regarding bad friends and drug addiction. I always thought they were just nagging me and being unfair to me but looking back, I only wish I had paid attention. Maybe then I wouldn't have wasted so much of my life using drugs and trying to wade off the subsequent addiction.
  6. rcdpink

rcdpink Active Contributor

I do regret alot of things that I did in the dark times of my life. However, I've come to the understanding that I cannot reverse the hands of time. What I basically do now is that I make good decisions and somehow they rewrite my bad habits and bad ways.
  7. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

The money. I regret spending all that money. Still, there's nothing I can do about it now so it's best just to keep plugging on. There's little sense in dwelling on the past, it's the one thing guaranteed to hold you back and stop you moving forwards.
  8. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

Weirdly it’s not so much that I regret getting caught up in the whirlwind of partying and binge drinking. It’s more that I regret making that so much of my identity. I thought that was my lot in life and I refused to better myself. It’s catching up with me.
  9. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I think the only thing that I regret is the fact it took me too long to get the propper help I needed. When I realised I did have an addiction, I thought I could kick the habit myself and spent years trying.

If I'd have got the professional help I needed at the start, I would have been able to have got clean a lot sooner.
  10. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

That I let all my fears and doubts cloud my judgement. I have fell prey to anxiety and depression and it's getting pretty hard to fight everyday.
    Addictions also ruined a part of my life for me, but I think I became stronger after I overcame those.
  11. mwin43587

mwin43587 Active Contributor

Thank you for sharing guys :)
  12. IrishHeather

IrishHeather Active Contributor

The thing that I regret the most, is the time that I spent engulfed with my addiction that I could have been spending with my children. I was lucky in the regards that I never was apart from my kids, however I feel that sometimes I neglected them emotionally during that time. However, I appreciate the time I spend with them even more now. Sometimes you have to fall down in order to see the way up.
  13. kylekur22

kylekur22 Member

The thing I regret the most was not seeking help sooner. I'm 25 and I now have diabetes because of my drinking! If that doesn't wake me up, nothing will. I just wish I would have realized sooner how much alcohol was destroying my life.
  14. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

You like your one liner threads and replies.

What I regret the most is the fact that I wasted years of my life drinking and spending my money on alcohol. That is my biggest problem. I could of done so much better with that money instead of blowing it alcohol.
  15. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

There is nothing to regret when it's over. Experience is nothing to regret. JFK said an error can be fixed it is only a mistake if we refuse to correct it.
  16. jteezymob

jteezymob Member

Regret is that reality of something we had done, whenever, and wish we had made another choice. At that time, I'm sure there were certain circumstances that allowed us to make that decision without further research, information. etc. Well, it does happen for a reason, but who knows how long it will be before we find out what the lesson is. But meanwhile, I wouldn't sit in it too long, if it's something that you can get away from, or start a path to make a change, then go for it. But if it's something that happened sometime ago. Yea, learn from it, go on, realize that it's something that you cannot do anything about today. That will let you go forward.
  17. CrowdedHighways

CrowdedHighways Active Contributor

It is not related to my addiction, but the thing I regret the most is losing a friend. It was a matter of fate and coincidences, but now we don't talk anymore.
  18. nebula

nebula Member

I think the thing I regret most is getting into a big argument with a family member in front of my nephew. He saw me yelling and being angry and I never wanted him to see that side of me in a million years. It is one of those things where everyone else forgets about it but you'll always remember and always regret it. I know I need to live in the present but it's a lot easier said than done.
  19. amin021023

amin021023 Community Champion

I regret that I didn't study hard enough to be accepted into a better university, this one that I study in it brought nothing for me but addictions...
  20. oraclemay

oraclemay Community Champion

I regret falling pregnant, not being married, having to put the baby in foster care. She had a great home and family life and I always kept contact. Today she hates me and blames me for everything. We no longer have contact. It was a terribly painful experience for me, but I did not know what I was doing at the time and I did the best I could. She ended up with a great family.