An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

What was the thing you regret the most?

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by mwin43587, Jun 4, 2015.

1. gracer

gracer Community Champion

I think if there's one thing I regret the most, it's the lost time I had with my loved-ones when I was younger because of too much attention to my peers and the vices I had then. Good thing I still have a chance to make up for the lost time now that I am a changed person. :)
  2. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

The thing that I most regret is to have disappointed my parents, they had high expectations of me… they never thought that their son would be using drugs, so it was really hard for them, it still breaks my heart when I remember the look they gave me when they realized what was going on, but that will not happen again. Luckily I still have them on my side.
  3. LilAnn

LilAnn Community Champion

accepting being a loser. I was a loser that had a lot of fun. And I have a lot of great stories to tell. But now that I'm older its kindof coming back to bite me in the behind.
  4. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

Oh, I hear you on that. There were some amazing times when I was The Party Girl, and I also had quite a few funny stories. One story that still gives me the tiniest bit of hope about certain things to this day as well. But at the core, most of it started feeling empty, and I didn’t like who I was becoming. I reached a point where I barely even recognized myself among all the trappings of that lifestyle, so it had to stop.
  5. L_B

L_B Community Champion

I would like to say getting married but that would mean that I wouldn't have my two wonderful children. They have been my rock through all of life's problems. Every decision I have made in life has taken me to where I am today and made me the person that I am. As difficult as some things were and the many mistakes I made along the way I can not regret any of them. Knowing what we know today we would all love to go back in time and do things differently but we can't so we have to try not to live with regrets. It will get us no where.
  6. deewanna

deewanna Senior Contributor

What I regret the most is the intense depression that I experienced during my addiction. Even now, I still battle with depression now and then. I was always so edgy since I am always craving for it. I think more of the depression was caused by my inability to sleep properly. My heart beats so fast and I usually have muscle spasm. When I look back at all these, I truthfully regret that depression has taken a huge part of me. Denying me of the excitement in life.
  7. coolkid25

coolkid25 Member

On one hand I regret the job and school opportunities I missed out on, but on the other hand I wasn't really interested in pursuing the same career as I am now back then so it's kind of a good thing that I didn't pursue it at the time. I don't know really obviously I regret doing drugs but I have no idea how I would've grown up without them. I feel like I am a much stronger person for having overcome them and I don't think I would've traded that for anything. Lucky for me I didn't have any family at the time so wasn't really hurting anyone other than myself.
  8. pstrong1969

pstrong1969 Community Champion

I regret not being a father to my 4 beautiful daughters. I regret spending all the time i did in Prison because of my addiction. I regret wasting time i spent getting high on much more valuable things such as a career, relationships i could have had, you know "normal life stuff". Today I am at peace with myself over my past. It took some work to get where im at. But i continued to use to deal with the guilt and shame i felt. Thank-God i dont suffer with those things today.
  9. As for a drug related experience, the thing I regret the most was a moderate dose of Brugmansia ("Angel's Trumpet"). There are two reasons for that, the first being my personal trip about which I will talk later.

The second reason would be the effect it had on my friends.
    When I had read about the plant and mentioned it to some of my friends, they would rummage the old and obscure web 1.0 boards on experiences and recommendations on usage. You can imagine the quality of info there I guess. What they found sounded utterly fascinating to them. It's not illegal to have Brugmanisa as deco plants (at least in Austria) and there are several gardens in which you can find them. D., one of the most eager dudes in my circle of my then-friends, went harvesting and brought back what could get a whole village high as a kite. Then he'd go on asking some guy of whom he thought he was a reliable source about dosage, took his advice and promptly proceeded to overdose so hard they had to sedate him on his subsequent hospital stay. His girlfriend too, by the way—D.'s parents got a bit suspicious after they found her alphabetically arranging D's father's vinyl records in the master bedroom, dressed in a silk scarf. Only a silk scarf, that is. I felt guilty for having told them about Angel's Trumpet. Sure, in hindsight, it was their own decision, but that won't cut on my bad feeling about it.

For my own experience, it was pretty much the classic: extremely impressive visual hallucinations, feeling of drunkenness, sore throat (and overall dry mucous membranes in the head). I guess I shocked my mum a tad when I got home though, because my lips were cracky and I talked to a girl called Bianca who obliviously was not there. Also, I was irritated at all the people in the shower.
    I was far too inexperienced and much too young for that kind of stuff—it took me weeks to process how flexible our definition of "reality" can be on certain substances and it scared the living hell out of me.

Also, a remarkable side effect: you're unable to read anything the following days after use; your eye muscles are not able to sharpen the image you see. A "W" looked like \\//\\// to me on a screen.

Yep, definitely Brugmansia.
  10. Bonzer

Bonzer Community Champion

My biggest regret has been regretting the past mistakes quite often. It happens with everyone, but I tend to do it a bit more. I, nevertheless, identified it as a problem area and I'm working on it.