An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

What was your breaking point?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by JoanMcWench, Feb 9, 2015.

1. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWench Community Champion

I have been a drug & alcohol counselor for five years now. I have experience with many types of addiction. Sadly, I work in a society with rules that force people to go to classes for addiction (which rarely helps) as opposed to having them make the choice themselves. I digress...

The one common thread with alcohol addiction I have found are the stories of regret, sadness, & shame that come with pushing the limits. Often times these stories involve family, friends, & loved ones the alcoholic has hurt. Another common thread I have found is that when we purge we can move. Speaking about these things in a safe place can help an addict get closer to understanding their behaviours are not only affecting themselves & that we can earn forgiveness not just ask for it.

What was your breaking point?
  2. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

I've never been an alcoholic but I've witnessed alcoholics hit rock bottom and stop drinking completely.

There's one addict, we'll call him X, who made a lot of money early on his in his career and opted to retire early so he would have more to drink. He invested his cash and occupied all his time drinking. But all his drinking alienated his family. His daughter left, his son stopped visiting and his wife finally when she couldn't take more of his abuse decided to leave. These losse(s) were more than he could bear. He realized that his family meant more to him than alcohol and this forced him to quit then started mending the broken bridges . . . got his wife to return, sons started visiting them again and the daughter though she never visits, calls to find out how the family is getting on.
  3. Peninha

Peninha Community Champion

Me neither, but I was drinking a few days in a row and I understand how it can be addicting. The breaking point has to be when you lose control over your life.
  4. olb1213

olb1213 Member

My alcoholic father lost his marriage and children to his addiction and that still was not his rock bottom. I witnessed my brother vomiting blood in the ER and still after his discharge he continued to drink. I will never be able to understand how or when an addict hits their breaking point, from my point of view it is almost literally like a switch goes off somewhere that says, "Okay, now it's time." That happened for my father. It hasn't yet happened for my brother and I don't know if it ever will.
  5. paichuu

paichuu Member

I wіѕh I cоuld say therе was sоme spectacular crazy story оn my lаst night.. but thеrе wasn't.

What happened waѕ аnоthеr day of thе same. It wаѕ аnothеr night whеrе I promised myself I wоuldn't gеt drunk and I did. Another night where I lied tо my partner іn order to drink more. Another night whеrе I was sneaking іnto thе kitchen evеry chance I got for anоther sip or shot оr whatever. And thеn anothеr morning оf feeling depressed and anxious and physically awful. It waѕ the ѕame night & morning I've had 5 оr 6 times а week fоr the laѕt 4 months.

For whatеver reason, thе second I opened mу eyes I knew it - thаt I hаd tо stop rіght now. I posted оn here and went to а meeting latеr that day. Very happy tо ѕaу I'm а week sober now!
  6. paichuu

paichuu Member

I wіѕh I cоuld say therе was sоme spectacular crazy story оn my lаst night.. but thеrе wasn't.

What happened waѕ аnоthеr day of thе same. It wаѕ аnothеr night whеrе I promised myself I wоuldn't gеt drunk and I did. Another night where I lied tо my partner іn order to drink more. Another night whеrе I was sneaking іnto thе kitchen evеry chance I got for anоther sip or shot оr whatever. And thеn anothеr morning оf feeling depressed and anxious and physically awful. It waѕ the ѕame night & morning I've had 5 оr 6 times а week fоr the laѕt 4 months.

For whatеver reason, thе second I opened mу eyes I knew it - thаt I hаd tо stop rіght now. I posted оn here and went to а meeting latеr that day. Very happy tо ѕaу I'm а week sober now!
  7. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Since I'm only a social drinker, I cannot talk about my breaking point for lack of an actual experience. My late maternal grandfather, God rest his soul, drank himself to the grave, though. What cracked him: cirrhosis. It took several trips to the hospital and a final fatal blow before he reached his breaking point. He was so devoted to alcohol even at the cost of a healthy family life and a great opportunity to work abroad (he was a dentist and a placer in the national dental board).
  8. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

When I was addicted to alcohol, I reached a point where I couldn't stand myself anymore. I felt like I was out of control most of the time and that some dark force had taken over my mind and body. I hurt other people with my words and out of control behavior. But most of all, I hurt myself. My suicidal tendencies got stronger with every drink that I took, and one day I had the feeling as if a black curtain was closing in on me. That's when I packed my things and went to another continent... I gave up drinking within two weeks after arriving at the other side of the world. And that is 22 years ago now. I completely changed my life and survived.
  9. p4lse

p4lse Member

My breaking point was seeing my grades drop down to such a level that I would be dropped off from my college and would eventually put my parents, who did nothing but good to me, to shame. I finally got hold of myself and revalued my decisions about the future. I told myself that right now , all I want to do is finish college. Until I finish college, I would stop drinking. In my final year now, been clean so far.
  10. Peninha

Yes, the same happened to me at a point, I realized that my life, including school and the relation with my parents, was too bad, so I started to grab my life again.
  11. Rodrigo1337

Rodrigo1337 Member

My breaking point was when I lost control. I'm not a power-hungry control-freak, but if I can't have control over my own life, I go crazy. I feel as though the ONE thing that I should have control over is my life. I'm not talking about things like getting hit by a bus whose breaks have gone. I'm talking about things that are in my control that effect my life and/or choices that I make to effect my life. Right before my breaking point, terrible things were happening to me, people were using me, and I felt so depressed. I was with someone that was killing me, and I needed to change. I was able to bring myself back to reality. Unfortunately, without her.
  12. Peninha

That's exactly what happens Rodrigo, we do lose control and we get nasty just to get the substance we need, like if life is not worth it if we don't have it.
  13. Jeff

Jeff Member

I've had a few.

I have woken up in the middle of the street.
    I have woken up to find that I had peed all over my room's floor.
    I've had fist fight with friends.
    Sadly, list goes on.
  14. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

For me it was getting myself in over my head in crime. I don't have any stories of alienating myself from family; my drinking has never affected them (tell me I'm in denial if you want, I don't care). I started affiliating myself with a certain organized group that was less than reputable. I ended up moving out of my province (in Canada so we have provinces) and starting fresh, it was one of those things where once you're in you're in for life. I know that if I wasn't drunk all the time I would've made way better decisions.
  15. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

My breaking point was when I was stopped and searched by police one night. A crime had been committed and I matched the perp's description. Thankfully, I had put the gram of cocaine I had in a place where police officers are not allowed to look if you're on the streets. Once they realised I wasn't the person they were looking for, they let me go but I was absolutely terrified. That was my "lights on" moment - I realised how close I'd come to getting arrested and I didn't want a criminal record.
  16. TommyVercetti

TommyVercetti Community Champion

Mine wasn't so much as a breaking point as a desperate attempt to keep on living. I had liver disease and multiple complications in my kidney. I was very weak at the time and I really thought I was going to die. I was 22 when this happened.
  17. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I too have heard lots of stories from friends on this.
    Everything from being found lay in the street to waking up in hospital, not knowing how they got there. I think everybody has a moment where they think this has to be it, enough is enough.
  18. Nick Anthony

Nick Anthony Active Contributor

I was an occasional drinker. I would drink when I went to parties with my friends, but then I ended up drinking too much and blacked out. That was my breaking point. I don't drink any alcohol at all. In fact, my dad had to force me to take a sip this past New Years Eve because I had refused.
  19. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Besides being broke and depressed all the time, I think my breaking point was when I started waking up in my own bed but laying in my own vomit. That was the worse yet. After that happened I knew I needed help. How can anyone do that to themselves? That was the worst.
  20. gracer

gracer Community Champion

I don't really have a specific breaking point but I guess I was lucky enough to have woken up from my slumber. I just realized one day that it wasn't the life I wanted until I get old. I didn't want to be alone with only my bottle of liquor anymore. So I pushed myself up until I was able to cope and live on with a sober life.