An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

What was your most memorable experience in your rehab program?

Discussion in 'Share Your Rehab Experience' started by Jennifer Abernathy, Apr 12, 2015.

1. Everyone has different experiences when going to rehab, and sometimes there are certain things that just stay with you for a long time. Please feel free to share in this thread of any memorable, life changing experiences you had while in rehab.
  2. AFKATafcar

AFKATafcar Community Champion

I've never been to rehab myself, but a friend once told me about what she saw during her time in rehab, and she seemed so moved by the experience. She was one of those people that turned her life around after entering rehab, and she heard stories from other inpatients about how drugs affected their lives. It was a life-altering experience for her, learning about what others have gone through.
  3. Nick W.

Nick W. Community Listener Community Listener

Honestly, my most memorable experience was the amount of sex that was involved. Everyone seem to be hooking up and having sex with everyone else. I don't know if it's the fact that many used it as a coping skill and stress release mechanism, but sex was abundant and free.
  4. Thank you both for replying, it's always very interesting to hear other people's stories and perspectives. I know like you said AFKAT, it really can be life changing hearing what other people have gone through. It's also interesting Nick that you found many turned to sex for coping, I know that can be a tool many people use to get through difficult times.
  5. Nick W.

Nick W. Community Listener Community Listener

It can be a tool, but I think it's a very dangerous situation. First, you don't really know the other people that well, what they have been through, the types of risks they have taken in their addiction, and how that can be physically damaging. Also, there is an emotional attachment concern too. Two drug addicts feeding off of each other is twice the risk of relapse in my opinion. Nothing against sex, just in this case it seems risky at best.
  6. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

I have a friend who was in a Rehab in California. She met and became friends with a very famous woman through the experience. They are just regular people like anyone else. Accept for now being clean a clear a very long time. Engaged to a guy who just put a 10 carat ring on that famous woman's hand. I get to hear all the stories.
  7. nebula

nebula Member

The most memorable rehab experience for me was having to share bunk beds with scary, angry women who were way older than me! These days I'll never take my own bed for granted again! Rehab really helped me appreciate life's little luxuries: a long, hot shower, a quiet meal, and privacy!
  8. Auril

Auril Active Contributor

We each had to write two daily goals and a positive statement on the white board in the group room each morning. One lady came into the program who had dyslexia. She was terrified to write on the board because she actually wrote everything upside down and backwards. To her eyes, that is how writing made sense. Eventually, she started writing her goals and statement when she realized we weren't going to make fun of her. After a week, everyone was writing their stuff upside down and backwards too! The therapists got so annoyed because it was rather hard for them to read, but they couldn't really say anything since we were doing it to support another patient.
  9. mooray

mooray Active Contributor

My most memorable experience was one night when everybody was sleeping and one guy just woke up and started sleepwalking up all over the place while he was screaming. The funny thing is everybody just woke up and started screaming too for no reason at all. In that moment of confusion, I woke up and started screaming too for no reason whatsoever. It was pretty funny when everyone realized what was going on and we all started laughing at ourselves.
  10. Ali16

Ali16 Senior Contributor

One of the residential techs at my rehab looked like Tinkerbell, except with brown hair. We continually messed with her about being a pixie. It drove her nuts! We also had to write daily goals for ourselves and would make up some of the oddest things. Sometimes we even wrote our goals upside down and backwards, just to make people wonder.
  11. JayLyn

JayLyn Active Contributor

The most memorable experience I had while in a treatment program was in one of my therapy sessions with my small group in a 28 day program that is based in my hometown. I wasn't living in my hometown when I went into the program; I had moved away about 15 years before that. But I do think the fact that the treatment was in my hometown was what allowed it to be as effective as it was, and what allowed me to have the profound experience that I had.
    It was my turn to have a personal therapeutic session with my small group after which the group counselor and and other sit in counselor, would give their interpretation of what was uncovered. The session was a role play in which I chose members of the group to play my family of origin and placed them as if in a family photograph. I was to choose how old they were in my role play and the place they had in my life, by placing the group members in various positions in relation to each other. I was to include myself in this, choosing a group member to role play me and take their place in the family photo.
    Then one by one I was to start to talk to my family. I was to tell them all the things that I couldn't say then,or maybe ever,in real life. Without any thought to what was going to come out of my mouth,I started to talk to my "family portrait" family starting with my mother. I can't remember everything I told her or my Dad for that matter, but I will never forget what happened when it came time to talk to my brother. It started off like the first two, it felt OK, but not relieving or eye-opening in any dramatic way,when suddenly I said, RJ (that's my brother's initials) Why did you leave me? As I said those words, I started to cry. I hadn't cried for over two years at that point. Nothing could get past the walls I had put up to shelter myself from pain and no tears were allowed out.
    When I was 20 my brother and I had a huge falling out. I was into partying and although I wasn't a slut by any means, I was living with my brother and he didn't care for any guy I brought home, lets just put it that way. Tensions were running high and I discovered that my brother had been reading my diary. Well, I thought, I know something about him if he tries to blackmail me with the information in my diary. I wrote in my next journal entry what I knew about RJ. It was very personal and very damming for RJ. I didn't know it at the time but after he read that and ripped the page out of my diary, (which I knew he would and had already written "Don't bother ripping out this page.......) he left for the United States and was gone for over three weeks. I didn't know it at the time but it was the beginning of what would turn out to be a permanent separation.
    Before that time, my brother and I had been closer than most twins even though we were born eight years apart. I knew what he was thinking and feeling almost as soon as he did and he treated me like an equal, made me feel like I could accomplish great things, and would take me everywhere with him, outings, bars, restaurants, we even went on a few trips together. When he came back our relationship was very cold. I moved away shortly after.
    A few uears later I was married and had a child. My brother came to the wedding and I believe that and one visit after were the last my brother and I shared any closeness. After that he ceased to talk to me at all, citing things I had done in my past as the reason.
    I had no idea how much my brother's severing our relationship had hurt me nor did I realize until then how much I missed him and our previous relationship as brother and sister. I knew that we were close and that he had chosen to hide from what I knew by placing blame on me. but I had no idea just how deeply wounded I was with his rejection of me. The child inside of me cried out to her big brother that day in a treatment center in my hometown. She let him know she missed him and still loved him and though he wasn't there to amend that at least I had something concrete I could start the mourning process for. Before I knew what I was mourning how could I ever heal?
    The tears I shed that day were far too few but they started the flow and slowly but surely I have let go of some of that pain. No, I don't think I've let go of all of the hurt that surrounds the loss of the relationship with my brother, but it has helped me identify a cause of my pain and it has helped me on my road of letting go.
  12. Ali16

Ali16 Senior Contributor

I thought of another one. I was sent to a nearby ER for a UTI that would not go away, when I was done the rehab sent a cab to pick me up. The cab driver seemed sketchy so I decided I was going to walk back to the rehab instead....in the December cold. Three hour walk along some VERY busy roads. During that time no one could figure out where I was and apparently everyone was flipping out. I was just walking along, pretty cold but otherwise fine.
    Around 11pm I got back and knocked on the door. I was met by about 10 staff, all ready to have a heart attack. They were more scared than mad. I decided to use that to my advantage and declared I wanted to order a pizza. (We were allowed to order in food, but normally at 11 pm they'd say no way). The reply was that I must be starving and of course I could order a pizza! ;)
  13. jazzyjazz

jazzyjazz Member

I remember when I had to go to a rehab center to fend off my alcohol addiction and I was miserable there for a whole month. The most memorable moment there was when I packed my bags there and woke up in the morning to leave the facility, my whole family had come to take me home and there was such happiness and warmth on their faces. It was amazing to realize that I was worth a lot to a lot of people. That moment will stay with me forever.
  14. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Senior Contributor

For my first DUI I was ordered into a 3 day rehab/counseling stint at a local Holiday Inn, followed by 3 days in jail. Initially I thought it was rather condescending that they would put tape over our doors at night when we went to bed in our rooms. But apparently from what I've heard, they did have some instances with participants hooking up with each other. One situation in particular, there were several guys basically gang banging one of the women in her room, lol, sorry for the crass language but there's no polite way to put it. On one hand it felt juvenile, like I was being treated like a kid, but on the other hand they were probably just protecting themselves legally should someone actually get raped/abused during the course of their program.