An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

What Was Your Strongest Symptom

Discussion in 'Withdrawal Symptoms' started by Waynefire, Jul 2, 2015.

1. Waynefire

Waynefire Member

I know that when I was getting off of some of the items that I was involved with, that I started to get the shakes really bad. What is the worst that you have experienced and how did you cope with the problem?
  2. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

I can't really single out the worst symptoms that I experienced during my alcohol withdrawal. It was all one long blur, interspersed with tremors, night sweats, nightmares, depression, anxiety, panic attacks, and the list goes on. All I can say is that I am glad that I came out sane at the end of it. And, mind you, the end wasn't in clear sight for a long time. I just went with the flow... what else can you do?
  3. artkat96

artkat96 Member

For me, my worst withdrawal symptom was anxiety. It was a real change going from being so calm, happy and carefree to the opposite. After a while it went away I think. Either that or I was finally able to manage it. Not sure.
  4. kylerlittle

kylerlittle Community Champion

Anxiety and depression. I've struggled with OCD and it caused me anxiety and depression. I didn't necessarily struggle with alcohol or drugs or any substance, I've struggled more mentally.
  5. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I would also say anxiety and depression were most prevalent for me in terms of stopping drinking. Physical symptoms were relatively minimal for me, which was something I was thankful for - however it was very much a mental thing for me. I feel like I had relied on alcohol for so long to be sociable, and to be seen as fun, that I could no longer be either without alcohol. Of course, now I have realized that is far from the truth, but at the time I didn't know how I would function without it.
  6. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

I had the shakes as well I only drank so can't comment on other things. I would shake like crazy I would also sweat very weak, and restless. I'm so glad that is past me now. Awful feeling I personally feel bad for people that have to deal with this, and a lot worse it's worth it in the end.
  7. Cheeky_Chick

Cheeky_Chick Community Champion

I think that right at the beginning, and still even now, the anxiety was without a doubt the thing that I struggled with the most. When I have anxiety, I think it is the worst feeling in the world, and it just makes me want to escape everything around me, including myself, which obviously I can't do. When the feeling passes, I just laugh to myself and think how silly I was to have reacted like that to anything - but it doesn't feel silly at the time, it feels very real and very scary, and I just hope that it is a symptom that will subside over time.
  8. sksmith094

sksmith094 Member

My strongest symptom is headaches, by far. When I'm craving to smoke again and force myself not to I start to get painful headaches, really weird how the body works sometimes.
  9. Ali16

Ali16 Senior Contributor

My worst symptoms was anxiety. My thoughts would be racing and every minor problem felt like the end of the world. I spent a lot of time listening to music, which helps me calm down, and playing video games. The increased anxiety actually lasted around 3 months - it was really bad and made me question if I'd made the right decision to get clean. I made it though.
  10. amin021023

amin021023 Community Champion

My worst withdrawal symptom was sleeplessness and anxiety,depression when I was detoxing from cannabis...it made me smoke more cigs.
  11. Mzpeaceful1

Mzpeaceful1 Active Contributor

Benzo withdrawal messes with your central nervous system in a really bad way and I had some horrible things happen to me. My list is way too long to go into here but the worst thing that happened to me was a gran mal seizure after many partial seizures. I thought that was going to be the end for me.
  12. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I'll talk about my most recent experience with withdrawal.... this was 3 or 4 weeks ago, I was (and still trying) to get off Propanolol because it made me gain a lot weight in just one year. Well, I cut the dose in half too fast, and let's say a couple days later I could finally tell the warning about quitting too soon could cause a heart attack was so true. I woke up feeling so restless 3 days after I reduced the dose from 20 mg to 10 mg. My chest was hurting. I hat to take 10 mg asap. my heart was beating so fast, I swear I thought I'd die.
  13. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Senior Contributor

I don't know if I can pick a "worst" of them, there were quite a few bad ones. I guess the most troublesome of the bunch would be when I've had seizures. Three times I wound up in the hospital as a result of them, and two of those times I was without insurance, which ended up costing me thousands of dollars.

Some other things I've experienced:

- Dry heaving. I was getting this when my drinking was at it's worse. There were points where I literally couldn't possibly swallow another sip of liquor because I was so drunk and nauseous from binge drinking for several days straight, but strangely there was also a part of me still craving it, so I would continue drinking it. This would result in me constantly dry heaving as if my body was trying to get me to throw it all back up, but nothing would come up. You could have probably lit my breath on fire, lol.

- Severe depression. I've gotten pretty close to seriously hurting myself a few times, when doing a lot of cocaine and more recently when I did some bad batches of "bath salts" which sent me spiraling into depression and constant crying for several days.

- Forgetfulness. I got this mainly off of doing MDPV and Mephodrone. I would start forgetting basic words and phrases and names of things and people. I'm talking even common words like "tree" or "frog" or "door". It would be really awkward when talking to someone, after I had been partying a lot, and would get stuck on the most mundane words. People would start looking at me like I was nuts.

- Trichotillomania, otherwise known as "hair pulling". I don't normally experience this, like some people do, who pull large clumps of hair off of their heads, but for some reason I will start doing this when I am on any sort of speed, especially if I've been binging. Instead of simply shaving when my facial hair starts to grow in, I will start pulling hairs out along my jaw one at a time. A friend of mine does something similar when she's on speed. only she does it to her eyebrows.
  14. When I stopped drinking awhile ago, it felt horrible. I'd sit there and just go crazy because I didn't have any alcohol in my system. My head would start pounding, my heart rate would jump up and I'd want to completely freak out. It was really tough to handle. I'm glad I'm over that and I hope that anyone going through the same will push through because things get a lot better after that.
  15. Mara

Mara Community Champion

I had this really bad cough that I thought my lungs will pop out of my chest when I was having nicotine withdrawal. And my phleghm...oh my goodness, I really don't want to describe it (for some people might be eating as of this moment). I'm really thankful that I'm over and done with smoking. I don't want to experience being sick like that ever again.
  16. Circulation in my hands and feet being cut off and a dangerously rapid heart rate. If i moved my arm my heart felt like it was going to explode.
  17. MsLucy

MsLucy Active Contributor

I haven't learned to deal with the withdrawals yet. The worst symptoms for my are nausea and physical pain. I usually try to kill the nausea with Imodium, or something of the sort. I use more to get rid of the random sharp pains throughout my body. The pain to me is the same pains you get when you are severely depressed multiplied by one thousand.
  18. kgord

kgord Community Champion

I have been dieting and withdrew from salt and sugar. It wasn't too bad actually, but I know one day I felt depressed and low on energy. It is nothing like what you all have experienced though. I would hate to go through a drug withdrawal. It has to be the worst!
  19. rajesh

rajesh Senior Contributor

My strongest withdrawal symptom was terrible mood (all the time). I was happy after leaving the addiction but after some days my mood became terrible. I got strong headaches too. I told the entire story to a doctor and he said me that this happens because of the imbalance of the chemical 'Dopamine' in our brain. The withdrawal symptoms are very common and are temporary and it will disappear after some days. Those days were terrible for me and during those days, I experienced these withdrawal symptoms that were the 'strongest' (in my experience).
  20. BBarnett22

BBarnett22 Member

Definitely not being able to sleep.
    Sleeping during opiate withdrawal is nearly impossible, even with the help of strong sleep aids.
    You will go days with absolutely no sleep and the only thing that will help is taking your doc again or waiting it out until the physical side of the withdrawals start to fade away.