An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

What were your worst withdrawal symptoms?

Discussion in 'Withdrawal Symptoms' started by Janie, Jan 21, 2015.

1. Janie

Janie Active Contributor

What were your worst withdrawal symptoms and how did you get through them? How long did it take for your symptoms to subside? Do you ever still get them now?
  2. juno

juno Community Champion

I think the worst is that jittery nervous feeling with alcohol withdrawal because you are so aware of it. It can also be very dangerous. The symptoms can last for weeks as well.
  3. LitoLawless

LitoLawless Senior Contributor

I remember one time when I didn't have any alcohol for a long time I would wake up with the room spinning. I never understood why it was happening but it would.
  4. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Senior Contributor

One time while I was still living by myself and had recently become unemployed, and had no license to drive, I had been up all night doing MDPV (Bath Salts) and drinking heavily. I was a total zombie in the morning, and by then I had run out of my booze and my cigarettes, so I called a Taxi at like 10am to take me for a run to get more. The problem was I still hadn't come down off the bath salts, and was a total tweaking mess. My eyes were all dialated, I was acting and talking weird and manic, sniffling, the whole 9 yards. Not only was the taxi driver looking at me like I was nuts, but the people at the liquor store were giving me dirty looks, and I got the sense they were almost not going to sell the bottle to me, which would have meant I wasted the $50 on a taxi for nothing. They ended up selling it to me, but I didn't go back there for months because I was so embarrassed.
  5. Nadeshiko

Nadeshiko Member

Constantly throwing up was among the worst. My body was trying to tell me that it really, really, really wanted this addictive drug - yet I wasn't about to give in. I no longer get this symptom, as I'm independent now, but it was definitely the worst. That, and a constant runny nose. I don't know why my nose was running all the time through my withdrawal - but it was disgusting o_O
  6. Plus

Plus Member

I think for me it was the jittery feeling, as some have said in this post previously. I absolutely hate feeling like I can't concentrate or if I'm craving things. Plenty of sleep and plenty of water can really help cut those things down in the long run, and I'm glad I chose those instead of going back.
  7. xSentaru

xSentaru Active Contributor

Wouldn't really call it a symptom, but after 2 weeks of not smoking, I feel this taste of rust in my mouth from time to time. I have no idea why, but since it does not bother me, I don't even care about it.
  8. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

The worst I have heard were the constant episodes of seizures. I have only heard that from one person who was hooked on meth, though, so maybe that does not happen to just anyone.
  9. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

While many people will all probably have different ones, personally the restlessness and anxiety where the worst for me.
  10. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

I suffered from nightmares, cold sweat, disorientation and at times even hallucinations, when I gave up drinking. As a lot of my problems were very deep seated and of a psychological nature, it took me a long time to overcome my symptoms. They gradually started to wear off after about a year. But I was still haunted by them for many years afterwards, only with lesser frequency and intensity.
  11. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

The length if time can also depend on the individual person aswell, I was lucky that they didn't last too long but others can suffer for years, some people can never shake off the experience of getting over an addiction.
  12. Bonzer

Bonzer Community Champion

Panic attacks and vague, unexplained fear were my worst and most dreaded symptoms. The quality of life was miserable when I went through them and rehashed them over and again. They killed the prime of my youth and jolted my education. However, I am happy I recovered and got back my life.
  13. amin021023

amin021023 Community Champion

Last month I was going through a break from pot and I had problems like insomnia, depression and anxiety. It wasn't that hard to deal with but it held me back and influenced my ability to do my tasks.
  14. Danyell

Danyell Community Champion

15. Matthodge1

@Danyell ah. I understand that. I'm sorry about that. Does your facility cost you any money?
  16. Danyell

Danyell Community Champion

@Matthodge1 Oh for sure. I am in a **** load of debit just from treatment centers.
  17. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

Oh man, what a question! The worst withdrawal symptoms I ever experienced was from crack cocaine and I have to say, the withdrawals from smoking crack are a lot worse than the withdrawals from powdered meth. Thankfully, I wasn't addicted to it for long but it did get a grasp on me immediately. It took me three months to get over it and it was absolutely agonizing - not just having cravings which come and go like you would for nicotine but having one intense, long, drawn out craving 24 hours a day. It's like when you're breathing each time you inhale you can almost taste it and you want to taste it so bad but you don't and then because you can't get it, it irritates you and makes you tense and anxious. It becomes impossible and you find it difficult to sleep. The sleep deprivation combined with the withdrawal symptoms and the intense cravings get to you both mentally and physically. You end up starting to think some very strange things.
  18. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

My worst withdrawal symptom quitting alcohol was wanting to have a drink by any mean.

Having no money to buy one, I wen to the street to get alcohol leftovers from bottles found at any place in my way, including in piles of junk.

On this road, I drank from a bottle containing a mix of beer with gasoline, just sip and spiting. How someone can drink this. Finally, I found an almost full can of Margarita cocktail someone left in a public phone cabin, but in my desperation for alcohol I spilled it and began to lick it from the floor!

Shortly after hitting home, I began to feel nausea, left my body fell on bed and began vomiting over my blankets while feeling to start having rapid breathing. Then I felt asleep and woke up 12 hours later totally dizzy.
  19. Matthodge1

Dang. How much are we talking here?
  20. hunkydoire

hunkydoire Member

I would have to say that the combination of not being able to get even one hour of sleep in addition to very painful, consistent diarrhea were the worst combination of W/D symptoms when I kicked opiates cold turkey for the first time. The first day was uncomfortable...the second, third, and fourth day(s), I literally thought that I was going to die (and I was living by myself, mind you). Even when I tried taking triple and quadruple dosages of prescription sleep meds, I was lucky if I got a half hour of rest here and there. Never want to go through that again, and I wouldn't wish that experience on my very worst enemy.