An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

What will it take?

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by JoshPosh, Mar 23, 2015.

1. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

We all know that cigarettes are bad for you, and eventually terminal. The world will be a better place if they were banned outright. What will it take for the world or even individual countries to put a ban on it's sale and usage?
  2. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I don't believe in banning them. I think banning things just gives black markets more power and ultimately it will do even more harm than good. Aside from that, I find it ludicrous to allow ourselves to put another person who is no more or less a conscious human being and just another citizen of this world who merely has a better job title to tell us what we can or cannot buy and ingest if we are able to do so responsibly without harming others. It should be up to parents to raise adults who know how to respect all the tools of this world instead of just constantly placing the responsibility on the government to ban each and every little thing that we find scary.
  3. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Governments don't care about the people they serve as long as they collect taxes. Tobacco and it's products are a good source of cash for the government so it's highly unlikely that they'll ban cigarettes. In any case even if they were banned, they'd still be sold on the black market.
    Rosyrain likes this.
  4. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

Yep, that's the problem. Governments have now allowed and encouraged this addiction to develop for too long. If they did ban it, people would just grow their own tobacco like they do with Marijuana, or would import it from other countries and then sell it on the black market. Nothing solved. In fact, many people already import it from other countries and sell it on the black market in the UK because it's so expensive due to all the tax they put on it.
  5. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

The taxes are the resin that some states are now legalizing Marijuana, they want their cut of the money, even if tobacco is a known killer. They can make money on addictions and figure that adults can make the decision to kill themselves or not.
  6. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Smoking tobacco will never be banned, it makes the governments too much money. Ànd thats all it comes down to. Governments pretend they want you to stop smoking and hide behind laws banning smoking in public's places and making sure cigarettes are hidden from view in shops. Quit smoking campains and cessation classes when all they really need to do is make them illegal.

While banning them might not stop everybody, I'm fairly certain it will stop a lot of people and maybe more importantly, deter others from even starting.
  7. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

We've also got the problem of fake cigarettes here in the UK. I know it's a bit rich to say that they are full of potentially lethal chemicals but they have been shown to be even more dangerous than regular cigs. So if tobacco were to be outlawed here, we'd see a marked increase in fake cigarettes on the market too.
  8. AAngelo

AAngelo Senior Contributor

I definitely agree that banning tobacco will do more harm than good. Look at what happened when they banned alcohol in the US. People would have drinks in toilets or bath tubs. Then these unregulated potentially poisonous cocktails were sold at a speakeasy. Mobs and gangs then got involved and the revenue started funding violent crimes.

Banning tobacco should have the same effect especially considering that it is easier to conceal. We'd have cigarettes with all sorts of chemicals in them and no one can regulate it. It's not like it's easy to put an end to illegal substance use.
  9. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

I don't hear of many fake cigarettes in my area but there is plenty of fake rolling tobacco around. As far as I am aware, a lot of it is grown illegally in barns and other unhygienic areas. I remember a friend showing me some of it, it was pretty much a lot like hay. Of course, e-cigarettes are now being actively encouraged when their potential for damage is still a controversial issue. What I don't understand is the ban on displaying tobacco products in shops - they have to cover the tobacco products up with a sliding door, yet the sliding door has an imperial tobacco logo on it and above it is says "tobacco products available here" - is that not advertising?! Then there's also the fact that e-cigarettes are allowed to be advertised.
  10. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

Good point about the e-cigs - whilst they are less harnful, their nicotine content means they are just as addictive as regular cigarettes. They should definitely be included in the advertising ban.
  11. Nick Anthony

Nick Anthony Active Contributor

Honestly, cigarettes have a horrible stigma around them already. There have been multiple campaigns against them. They have to put labels on it. I think there will always be some small percentage of people who continue to smoke, because they may have accidentally landed in it, but I think the numbers are certainly declining. Also, unfortunately, some people my age I know smoke cigarettes. It's so weird, because they know it's not good for them, but they do it anyways. I honestly think it just depends on the person; hopefully, however, the numbers will continue to decrease each year.
  12. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

It depends on the population, and sadly I don't think we'll see it happen in the near future. It takes a lot to change the perspective of a big majority of your country's people.
    It's definitely possible though, but it takes a lot to be able to do something like this!
  13. lgdg090596

lgdg090596 Senior Contributor

Ban? Probably not. Perhaps limit one can buy.
  14. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I agree that they will never go away because of the simple fact that the use and sale is profitable in taxation. That is the only reason why it is legal to buy and use it. That is also why Marijuana usage is becoming legalized in many states because of the high profitability margin that the state in question receives through it's sale.
  15. Bluesman

Bluesman Member

I don't think that's the entire truth. Sure, legalization brings profit, but also helps with getting to people that are addicted. As I said in another thread, current system doesn't fight with drugs, it fights with people who use drugs. Portugal has a steady decrease in both usage and deaths related to drugs after legalizing some of the drugs.