An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

What would it be like if....

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by qvogiteman, Jun 24, 2015.

1. qvogiteman

qvogiteman Member

What would America be like if every drug became legal to use for adults? How do you think the country would change in terms of say lifestyles, crime rate, financially, etc?
  2. Sevrin

Sevrin Member

Ahaha, it'd be chaos, but probably not in a way any of us can imagine. I mean like there would be all kinds of new enterprises and businesses popping up, new types of discussions on news, and the government and health system would have to change a lot, and I mean a hell of a lot.
  3. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

Crime rates would probably get really high since drug dealers will spice up the business a little bit. I think that if every drug would become legal in the US the country would get unbalanced pretty fast, with a lot of more addicted people than before.
    The biggest change may be in terms of the society, which will became weaker over time.
  4. Totalarmordestine

Totalarmordestine Senior Contributor

less organized crime, lower crime rate in general. if they were sold in the store cheap then we'd probably have some active users but no more then we had before. people don't not do drugs because they're illegal they don't do them because they're dangerous and if they were legal it wouldn't change how dangerous they are just make it easier and cheaper for the people already on them to get them.

and people who are on drugs do not act violently if they can find there drugs easily and cheaply. so problem would be solved.
  5. tarverten

tarverten Senior Contributor

America would be prosperous again. Crime will drop at an all time low. pigs will have to focus on more serious crime and all the adults of age can get high whenever the hell they feel like it (Their body, their choice).
  6. blastguardgear

blastguardgear Senior Contributor

I think that having weed, hash, peyote, and mushrooms would be cool to be legalized..but I think that other drugs like meth, crack, herione, ecstacey, pcp, and pills ect. would just start killing and overdosing people and a big quanity of the world would be junkies.
  7. shadowsupernature

shadowsupernature Senior Contributor

Well the immediate result would be something new to tax (and you KNOW they love taxes up in Gov't).

And you better believe the taxes on them would be high to make up for the reduced crime rate and the money that was made for putting users and dealers in jail.
  8. thepieeatingjay

thepieeatingjay Senior Contributor

Assuming youre talking about marijuana -

Less people in jail and less people drugdealing, thats about it. people do drugs regardless, making them legal wouldnt do much for users besides making it easier and safer for them to get some.

i much rather be around, or driving next to, a group of high people -vs- a group of drunk people. alcohol is more damaging to a person, and society, then marijuana is.
  9. E.Mil

E.Mil Community Champion

This world would be even crazier if every drug was legalized. This would give people a false sense of safety about drugs because people would think if the government legalizes the drugs then the drugs must be okay. This would also lead to many more people dying and the prison system would become more crowded.
  10. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

Without giving it a lot of thought, I think it would be like a madhouse. I think the poster asked about every drug and not marijuana alone, so for now I am still thinking mayhem.
  11. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I'm not too sure it would change all that much to be honest. People who don't take drugs now, wouldn't suddenly decide to start, the only affect would be on the people that do.

People know where to buy drugs from now anyway though so apart from crime being lower, and the cost of the drug going up, what exactly would change?
  12. JessiFox

JessiFox Active Contributor

Oh I don't know about that. There'd be less crime of certain kinds and less nonviolent offenders sitting in jail, but I could see crime overall going up. Not to mention other chaos :/ I honestly would not want to see a world like that.
  13. frogsandlegos

frogsandlegos Active Contributor

I personally thing there would be more CPS cases (more children abused), more DWI accidents, more deaths due to overdose, and yes, I believe there would be more crime. I 100% believe that alot of crimes - from murder to kidnapping - would not have been committed if the criminal had not been on drugs. If these substances are easily available, then more of this would happen. I don't think it ever will though.
  14. Liv6

Liv6 Member

I believe that in certain areas where pot is more common, there would just be total inactivity in the area. However, in other places where more hard drugs are frequently abused, there would be an increase in crime rate. I definitely agree with frogsandlegos, there would be more DUIs occurring. However, I think the economy might even benefit from it, especially if they choose to tax the newly legalized drugs.