An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

What would you change?

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by Rex, Jul 28, 2015.

1. LinB

LinB Senior Contributor

I believe a lot of us share the same sentiments. Being young and green we tend to be naive, disregarding the future consequences of or actions; Not realizing that a successful life is intertwined with education.
  2. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

There's no mistakes it's all experiences. Experience things and find out what happens when you do this or that. I think recognizing what you want in your life and who you want in your life. This a big one the who. Experiencing the wrong person in your life might not be a mistake but certainly would make you aware of who you would love having in your life. I'd like to feel like my experience with the wrong person in my life was the biggest mistake and it certainly seems that way. But if it didn't happen I wouldn't have a gauge of appreciation. Being with someone who is completely wrong for you makes you REALLY appreciate the people who were right. The people who really fit you as a significant other like a glove. I mean if you have morals and the other person doesn't. This is a train wreck. It should be like with like. A respectable intelligent person should be with the same. Opposites do not work in the long run. You need to be able to understand each other not have this trial and error where you don't ever seem to get along.
    So an experience like this is not a mistake it is a very important gauge for what I do want in my life or should I say who.
    I mean if anyone feels they've made a lot of mistakes in their life. You've got to just realize that this is just you being you. If you can't be yourself than what is the point? Say the wrong thing do the wrong thing. It's irrelevant. You should be able to be yourself and if you can't, that person is not for you. If it makes you feel bad and you want to be different for that person. It is more important to realize that you aren't able to be yourself. If you don't feel secure just being who you are than perhaps you should work on yourself before even worrying about pleasing another. It's almost like not having an identity.
  3. serenity

serenity Community Champion

@LinB, Yes I think most kids would not really realize the value of education because they are still too young, but once they have matured they will eventually realize that it's quite important. Kids lack the insight and maturity to make the right decisions at that time.
  4. LindaSuzanne

LindaSuzanne Active Contributor

I would make sure that I was in a more stable relationship before I had children because it would have been so good to have someone to help me through my son's addiction. I felt so alone with it and had no one to turn to, but his dad was long gone by the time he reached teenage years, Maybe a male influence would have had an impact. maybe turned him back on the right path. I'll never know now.
  5. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Right now nothing. I might change of mind later, specially if that bump in my gum turns out to be something else, something more sinister. Then if that is the case I might really wish to change having insisted more on a xray or something like that. Other than that, no, I'm at peace with my past and I wouldn't change any of the decisions I made, because if I did maybe I'd not be where I am now. I do like my life right now :)
  6. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

If I could take back the years where I abused alcohol I probably would. But in saying that I guess I learned a lot from it. I learned about myself and what I really wanted out of life and that was huge for me.
  7. Mayoress

Mayoress Active Contributor

There always comes that point in your life when you wish you can go back to change some things in the past, maybe loved someone better, or been kinder to someone, but the fact is, those things we did in the past defined who we are today, and we have a chance today, to work at being a better person we ever thought we could be.
  8. deewanna

deewanna Senior Contributor

My experiences have helped to shapen my life and my entire being. I honestly wouldn't change anything if given the chance to go back in time. I'm grateful for the opportunity to make my mistakes and for the strength and courage to correct those mistakes. Every time I go on that road, I always learn something.
  9. Proudmomma

Proudmomma Active Contributor

Honestly, as crazy as this sounds, I wouldn't change a damn thing. Yes,I did a lot of stupid things but if I wasn't on drugs I would've never have been out running the streets the night I met my fiance when he was walking home from work. He, who has never done a drug a day in his life, not only stuck by me in the last 3 years of my addiction, but he gave me 2 of the most precious gifts anyone could ask for. Our sons! My first son is the reason I got clean and he's the reason I stayed clean. Now I also have his little brother, my chunk a munk to help motivate me to continue to do great. Because i refuse to let my babies down. Without them I'd be nothing, I'd have nothing. I've been clean now for a little over 5 years, no relapses, nothing. Because i have my munchkin and my peanut to motivate me to do good and to set the best damn example I can for them.