An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

What would you tell a friend to stop them from taking something addictive?

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by Thestoryteller1, May 10, 2015.

1. Thestoryteller1

Thestoryteller1 Active Contributor

I know pretty well, from personal, or close-friend experience, the bad effects of addiction. However, I had a friend who was war-veteran with chronic pain(that's about all I knew at the time) and he got used to taking daily a lot of stuff at once- he mixed alcohol, painkillers (what was that name, percocet?), and drugs (still not sure on the exact ones he took). I didn't see how bad it was at first, but with time it was obvious. So I tried to explain to him that what he does is bad for him, and I kind of lost my words. My argument ended up quite badly. Not that a good argument would have necessarily changed everything, but I would like to be prepared better if anything like this ever happens again to anyone I know. Suggestions?
  2. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

The thing is, he probably knew, deep down, that it was bad for him but he probably wasn't ready to admit it to himself, let alone anyone else. The desire to change can only ever come from within for it to succeed.
    Danyell likes this.
  3. Thestoryteller1

Thestoryteller1 Active Contributor

Perhaps. But there are times when you're close to ready for a change, but you can't get yourself to do it. And then someone tells you something, and that is the last thing you need to get yourself over to the change...And I would like to say things as best as I can to give the person that push if they are ready. Although this may be my need to think that I can sway things one way or the other. It hard feeling that there's not much you can do :/.
  4. imperivm1

imperivm1 Community Champion

I'd tell them to think first about the ones who care for them. How this is going to affect them. I understand that poisoning one's body is a choice which is made by the one to whom it belongs. But the aftermath can indirectly hurt other people as well. Refusal to acknowledge the dangers after being told this can only be considered egoistical. Then again, aren't we all egotists?
  5. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

A lot of people if they have their mind set on something, then they won't listen to other peoples advice, even if they know that person is right.

If a person takes something that they know is going to do them harm, all you can do is try and stop them but if that fails, just make sure your there to support that person if they need you.
  6. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I would try my best to convince him/her that the drugs he/she is taking are bad for him/her. I would reason out and give facts as to the side effects of those drugs. If that person still doesn't listen to me, it's not my problem anymore. At least, I have tried.
  7. Danyell

Danyell Community Champion

As a heroin addict myself, "frothy emotional appeal seldom suffices". (Straight from the big book of AA) In my experience, this is always the case. Dont get me wrong, I do care what my loved ones are saying to me and about how bad it is, but that just makes me try to change FOR THEM. Which never works. Yeah, I might be clean for a month but then I just go straight back to using. Unfortunately I am still in my active addiction because I truely do not want to change for myself yet... But I do know that support is the biggest thing. I know it might be hard, but try not to stray away from him and cut him off as a friend. That is what an addict needs, someone they can talk to with no judgement just love.
    pineywood likes this.
  8. pineywood

pineywood Community Champion

I think, in this particular situation, your friends addiction was/is way to complicated to fix with words of advice. Although, I do understand your words stemmed from caring. In the future, I think @Danyell gave some good words of advice, it is important to be supportive, yet understand no-one can successfully quit, unless it is for themselves.
    Danyell likes this.
  9. Charli

Charli Community Champion

If he has chronic pain then it would be a lot more difficult to get him off of the meds since surely he will choose not having pain over almost anything. In my opinion the best way to treat this would be to find another way of relieving him from his pain and maybe give him some mental training on how to better cope with it. Otherwise anyone would have trouble justifying why he should stop since probably no one is in as much physical pain as he is.
  10. oraclemay

oraclemay Community Champion

You can share about your experiences and feelings, but you can never stop someone once they have mad up their mind. People have to be ready to change or they will not and no-one can change that. They have to realise that they need more, need better and actually want it. They have to realise that they have a problem and need help.