An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

What would you tell your past self

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by GenevB, May 15, 2015.

1. GenevB

GenevB Community Champion

Hello everyone! I want to raise this problem, because I always thought, what would I tell myself, my past self, the one who hasn't got addicted yet, in order for him/her to not get addicted. If I could talk to that person that I used to be before starting smoking cigarettes, I would tell him that he has a lot of great things ahead of him and cigarettes will only slow him down, both financially and emotionally, I would tell him that he should try one, he should know how good it feels for the first times and then tell him how much of a trap this is and how much misery is ahead of him if he continue to do this. What would you tell?
  2. d4rk3n

d4rk3n Active Contributor

I will tell my past self to stay off bad company. This basically ruined me, and if I could change anything, I would certainly change this. I would also ask him to not be mean, and listen to what others have to offer. After all, a person can't always be right.
  3. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I think for most ex addicts, this is a question that they'll often ask themselves. It's a way if trying to come to terms with how they got addicted in the first place.

Personally it would have helped my situation if I hadn't hung around with the people I did. While it's never entirely other people's fault, they certainly had a major influence over me when I was growing up.
  4. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I would tell my past self to just be a little bit brave. Work hard, have fun, and honor God.
  5. JohnBeaulieu

JohnBeaulieu Community Champion

You only have one liver and one heart. It takes less time to destroy both than you think. The pain you have now is nothing compared to whats to come.
  6. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I would tell my past self that not all adults know what's best for me just because of the mere fact they are older. When I was younger I believed everything the previous generations have been saying such as what are bad and good, but now that I am an adult myself I can see that such an oversimplification of everything being categorized as such just isn't right nor does it even really work.
  7. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

I would definitely tell my younger self not to let what other people thought of her, whether positive or negative, dictate her life so much. I really needed a lesson in validating myself, and not feeling this intense need to impress others. I still struggle with this, but I’ve gotten somewhat better about it.
  8. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

I would tell my past self to be strong, to not let himself get influenced by the people near him and to think about both financial and emotional status when considering decisions.
    I'd also tell my younger self to be a little more brave and to try out new things since you can never get time back.
  9. GenevB

GenevB Community Champion

I totally agree with you mate, that's how I'm feeling right now. When I was younger everyone stated they had the absolute truth and acted like they knew everything about life. Now that I'm myself an adult (considered by the law in my country) I see that there are a lot of variations, for the instance, the truth is always subjective, there's no absolute truth related to one single person. I've made a few decisions on my life based on what people told me was good, some of them bad some of them good. Now I realize that I should've always go with my guts, after all it's my own life and I'll be the one who gets the kicks if I make any mess.