An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

What would you tell your younger self?

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by Dominica, Jul 25, 2019.

1. Dominica

Dominica Author, Writer, Recovery Advocate Community Listener

Just curious. What would you tell your younger self if you could? Either as a child, teen, or young adult?
  2. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

Adulting is hard.
  3. True concern

True concern Community Champion

Reach out for help before you waste half your life on the family path of self destruction and substance abuse, recognize the gift you have of intelligence and compassion and use it to change the world, don't give your heart away to a woman so young(first love at 15)Buy alot of condoms and search around for awhile, don't be so hard on yourself all the time and NEVER DO DRUG'S FOR ANY REASON
  4. True concern

Man just reading your response is so humbling and I think it's because your response is so simple and it truly says everything
  5. cheffy

cheffy Community Champion

I agree adulting is very hard. I was really scared when we had our first kid and wondering if I would be a good father. Well, the kids turned out to be super, and I tell them often that they are the ones that made it easy for me to be a good father and a successful father. So I guess I would tell me to always keep the family together and always keep the family happy.

Do you think this would be any different if the person you're telling this to is a close friend rather than you?
  6. True concern

I do not think it would be any different
  7. Joshstillclean

Joshstillclean Community Champion

I would have different messages for different friends for sure.

But if I could tell myself something, I'm not sure how to do it to where I would believe what I was seeing.
    I'm thinking too hard about this...id go back to the age of 17. I'd tell myself to go to AA asap. Like that very day. And then I would tell myself what events were about to take place and to make it work with my sons mom. That's what I actually daydream about sometimes.
    However. Id still be an arrogant prick. So maybe just leave well enough alone. That's a really hard one. What would you do @Dominica
  8. cheffy

Yeah, I think the hardest part would be getting myself to listen :)
  9. Onceaddicted77

Onceaddicted77 Moderator Community Listener

Hi younger self I have some advice.
    Listen to your elders they have experience that only comes with age. Dont drink alchohol or do drugs, stay in school so you can learn your real passion in life. Dont over look for love itll find you. Help people and dont be selfish when you do find love, take time to go see and visit your loved ones before they are gone. Take time to enjoy life and remember bad days will pass because good days are right behind it.
  10. Dominica

Dominica Author, Writer, Recovery Advocate Community Listener

all great advice everyone! i enjoyed reading these!! not sure we would listen if we could really do this... although i think if my 80 year old self showed up to me to share with me right not....I'D LISTEN INTENTLY...take lots of notes, and follow through ;)

i'd tell myself as a teen to find a good therapist...and start working through past trauma and such...and i'd get a spiritual mentor too... i'd also tell myself to move out of the usa... to a country that was much different. simpler. more grounded spiritually. i'd also say don't drink!!! and, i'd advise myself to not settle down at such a young age. be single longer... :)

i'm sure i'd say more...
  11. SavannaGrimes

SavannaGrimes Active Contributor

I would tell myself to study harder and think harder about my goals. Do not listen to anyone and study what you really love.. Dance. And don't waste your time on boys in your early 20s. Go explore ,travel more.
    And most important practize patience and be patient with your grandparents. And do not ever forget to be kind.
    Not doing all these things below made me to drink and get high to forget what a loser I grew up to be.
    I am fine now. I am working towards better future.
  12. Joshstillclean

That's a great message.
    Dominica likes this.
  13. True concern

You are not a loser period!
    Joshstillclean likes this.
  14. cheffy

Self... SELF!... You'll find your cell phone between the cushions on the couch!
  15. Joshstillclean

The police really do take you to jail.
    And you will find out you don't like it.
    cheffy and True concern like this.
  16. True concern

Tell the Dr to go fuc* himself when he says "Take this Ritalin even though it's meth"I would also say "They are going to label you bi-polar but that's thanks to being hi on Ritalin from the time you were 6 years old "Then I would slap the shi* out of me and say "Seriously don't touch that fuc*in Ritalin "
    cheffy and Joshstillclean like this.
  17. Joshstillclean

I took a quarter of a tablet today. I hated the way I felt. But oh i was awake. Then I went from awake to almost asleep while standing in the shower.
    I can't imagine this everyday.
    I'm so sorry that happened to you.