An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

What you find so good in Alcohol?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by whitenoise, May 20, 2015.

1. whitenoise

whitenoise Senior Contributor

I tasted it several times but I never got into much. It smells and tastes so bad I can't imagine people are addicted to it. I have several friends which are basically addicted to it and went in rehab few times too and guess what? They making fun of me because I don't drink beers and such... I mean what's good about it?
  2. rightct

rightct Community Champion

Trust me, when people are in that withdrawal phase, they wish they thought just like you and quit once and for all, but it's not that easy.
    Well, I must say that if you drink alcohol out of pleasure you may expect failure since most of my friends don't find anything special in it, either, but I find it to be a way of socializing with people, but most of people end up consuming more than necessary and, well, you know from there on...
    I guess that would be it.
  3. IrishHeather

IrishHeather Active Contributor

I know a lot of people that are addicted to alcohol and other drugs that don't necessarily like the way they smell, taste, or even their appearance... yet they still continue to consume the substance in question. I believe it is the after effect that keeps them coming back (the high they get from consumption). I think it is the self medicating power of these substances that people fighting addiction struggle with.

Some people "use" to forget, some "use" to make social situations easier, some "use" just for the euphoric feeling they get, and the reasons can go on and on. All in all, to answer your question, I believe people that are addicted to alcohol consume it for the effect it has on them rather than just its taste.
    henry likes this.
  4. Rowe992

Rowe992 Senior Contributor

Well to be honest not all alcoholic drink taste bad. Some of them really have a nice flavor but I don't consume them like that I use them to bake or make drink mixes that are not high in alcohol to cause drunkenness. Some are however not so tasteful like beers.
  5. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I don't really like drinking that much either and it has always made me feel a little left out as well especially since I live in a country that values it so much as a social bonding tool. I choose to just ignore it all though since I know that using it as a barometer of anything is senseless and I have a lot of other things I know I should be concerning myself with and surely will offer a much better value in terms of enjoyment. I think a lot of people get into it just because it is part of the culture, while others find it genuinely pleasing. As someone who has a lot of experience with it, despite disliking it a little bit, however, I can say that it's just something that's easy to get used to. Once you start drinking it regularly then it doesn't taste as bad anymore and if you do it long enough you may even start to crave it, and maybe that's where the addiction starts.
  6. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

It's not so much on the taste of alcohol as the effects it brings to the drinker that makes it a sought-after substance. Save for lime vodka, red wine and fruit wines, I personally don't like the taste of alcoholic beverages. When you're with friends, though, you sometimes forget the taste. The thing is, people who know why they drink know when to stop. However, drinkers who want to forget a dark past or cope with a difficult situation almost always end up losing to alcohol. If you're surrounded by the right people and adopt the right outlook in life, alcohol alone won't be enough to get you addicted.
  7. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

Agreed, the taste is the less important factor compared to the effects. Aside from the softer stuff like Bacardi Silver Raz (which could get too sickly sweet after a while, so it was hard to drink too much of it) I myself never thought I could get past the taste of some things, especially hard liquor, but I definitely got accustomed to it. The alcohol loosened me up… sometimes too much, but it was what I thought I wanted at the time. Just made me feel more comfortable interacting with others, which I eventually realized was a sign that I needed to find new people to hang around with.
  8. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

While a lot of people like the taste, myself included, that's not what makes people addicted to it, obviously.

Alcohol is a relaxant, it makes you feel more confident and you are more outgoing. I think they're some of the reasons people can get addicted.

Like any substance, it's not necessarily how or why you take it that's the problem, it's the feeling you get while your on it, and how it makes you feel after that are the main issues.
  9. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I have also tasted some alcoholic drinks such as beer, hard drinks and wine. But I also do not get hooked on those and I do not the taste and smell. I also had the same question to those who really like it. I am just thinking that maybe alcoholic drinks taste great for them.
  10. henry

henry Community Champion

I agree with most of the posts. Taste really has nothing to do with it, it's the effect it has on you that makes it addictive. That's why I'll never get the people who drink light or non-alcoholic beer, when a glass of orange juice tastes so much better. I personally drink to get wasted, not just to mingle with the crowd. If I only got half a bottle of whiskey, I don't touch it. Why? Because I know it's not enough to get me drunk. I wait until I buy a new bottle, then I use the other half bottle as a back-up, just in case I want to party longer.
  11. kylerlittle

kylerlittle Community Champion

I wouldn't say "Alcohol" in general is good, but I'll take it metaphorically. I love wine and it's something that I really enjoy. I enjoy the taste in my mouth and moving it around in my mouth to both sides. I love the taste of it but I have balance where I don't drink more than a glass. I love that it has a cleansing unique taste to it compared to all other types of "drinks".
  12. whitenoise

whitenoise Senior Contributor

I thought that for an addicted one of the requires that make him start to drink is the fact that he likes what he's doing. In this topic then the addicted likes the alcohol taste. Obviously it's not that the only main reason that make this addictive but I meant that to start, and addicted must like it.
  13. grandmaof4

grandmaof4 Member

In general some alcohol tastes good, and some just gives you a kick. It's kind of like eating hot stuff. Some people enjoy it, like hot chicken wings, and some people don't. All in all people drink for all kinds of reasons whether it be for taste, to fit in with a certain group, the addiction, or just not having to deal with reality.
  14. grandmaof4

grandmaof4 Member

The withdrawal from alcohol can be deadly if you are a heavy drinker. I have a friend who was advised by there doctor to not quit unless they were under medical supervision in treatment because they could have severe withdrawal symptoms. They have been a heavy drinker for many years.

It's really not that easy to quit. Research suggests that quitting drinking for someone is like quitting heroin once addicted.
  15. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

I always thought the same as you, it tastes awful. I never liked the taste of alcohol, but the effect it had on me. It was like medicine for me, that made me forget my problems for a short while. But my excesses always hit me with a vengeance the next day. And after two years of heavy drinking, I started developing alarming symptoms such as pain around the area of my liver, panic attacks and much more.
    I started drinking because it's a long tradition in my family. I couldn't escape it until I was 21. That's when I gave up alcohol for good. It's been many years since then.
  16. kylerlittle

I wouldn't say addictions are always liking what you're doing. It might be because you feel like you need it or it's pleasurable, but then a river of regret and guilt comes upon you once you realize what you've done. There's a conflict within the human nature.
  17. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Alcohol comes in different flavors not only from beer. You just haven't been around much to taste the difference. But that's a good thing. Maybe you'll stay that way forever.
  18. kylerlittle

You're right. I think I've tasted a lot of Alcohol out there and I have noticed that alcohol is the burning strong taste, which is how you would differentiate a normal beverage than bear.
  19. Nonn

Nonn Member

The main reason I find alcohol so attractive is how it slows down my thoughts. I've always been the hyper type, so alcohol is such an easy fix. Shame we don't have kava bars!
  20. mwin43587

mwin43587 Active Contributor

I honestly have not tasted it yet. My friends say, it is not the alcohol that they want, but the bonding with friends.