An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

What You Say and Think of Becomes You

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by Lizzy19ph, Aug 20, 2015.

1. Lizzy19ph

Lizzy19ph Member

Ever heard of the "Law of Attraction"? What we always speak of and what we always think of ultimately will manifest in our lives. We are our words and thoughts. So, if we are always on the pessimistic side, the negative vibes or energy will then attract not so good things in our lives. I used to be a negative person before but when I finally chose to become positive, my life had a complete turn-around.

In the road to recovery, we must help the patients or our loved ones to have enough faith in themselves and instill hope in their minds. Anyone can heal himself because the mind is so powerful, it can conceive good things which would be beneficial to our mental health and even manifest in our physical well-being.

We must choose the right words before they come out of our mouths and we must be careful also of what we think of.
    Hopeful32 likes this.
  2. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I also believe in the law of attraction. If you are thinking negatively, chances are you will attract negativity in your life. However, if you always look at the bright side of things, there's a probability that you will be lucky and fortunate. And yeah, it's just about having the right mindset. Don't let bad things and awful experiences make you a bad or a gloomy person. Be positive all the time. :)
  3. juulicob

juulicob Member

I agree. Surround yourself with nothing but goodness! The positive energy of others will indeed become contagious. It is certainly difficult to obtain the strength that will lift your spirits; but once you feel the hope and realization that everything will be okay, then you will start to believe it. The more you believe it, the better and better life will seem.
  4. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I agree with this so much - I know some people who have a really negative mindset, and they still wonder why everything in their lives seems to go against them. I try to keep a gratitude journal, personally, since I find when I am mindful of all the good things in my life it makes it easy to focus on the positive.

Life isn't always sunshine and rainbows, but I do think there's a positive in almost every circumstance in life if you're prepared to look at it that way.
  5. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Positivity is something that we all need in our lives but sometimes it's not always that easy to have a positive outlook.

Especially when going through recovery, even if we do have people and things in ourife that are positive and helpful, often we don't see them and they will be clouded over by the addiction. It's important to try and keep hold of what's important because eventually the clouds will clear and we'll be able to enjoy life again.
  6. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

The power of suggestion can change someone's life either positive or negatively.

If someone under hypnosis can do anything the hypnotist asks them to do, then the same could apply to our thoughts. What we imagine . . . the world we create in our minds can get to be a reality. When helping a recovering addict or someone who hasn't made the decision to fight their addictions constant affirmations that they "will make it" can be really helpful [to them].
  7. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

This is the lesser part of the law. It's actually more of how you feel. The thought is the supporting factor. It's the feel good vibration that draws the good things. I was just thinking about this today. I try to practice it every day. It's just keeping your vibration up and happy. Thinking the good thoughts. The positive thoughts are something like ten times over more powerful than the negative ones.
  8. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I am aware of the power of affirmation and I sincerely think that the law of attraction is real. That's why we should always be mindful of our thoughts, because like in the computer world, GIGO means "garbage in, garbage out" so we should not think garbage and only concentrate on the positive and helpful thoughts.
  9. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

This is absolutely right! Positive thought brings positive results and negative thoughts brings negative results to the things that we are going to do in our lives. That is why whatever we think and act will surely affects our way of life. That is why it is best to always think positive to see a clear vision of our life.
  10. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

To some extent though, I think people have to be wary of just wishful thinking, and while being positive in your life can only be a good thing, we also have to work to achieve what we want aswell.

Positive thoughts can only get you so far in your life, it's your positive actions that makes the difference aswell.
  11. irishrose

irishrose Community Champion

I have found that your words of advice are totally true, even when used on a daily basis. If I am feeling down, unproductive, and set in my old bad-habit ways, all it takes is an attitude adjustment to get me re-energized and to have a positive outlook on life. Counting your blessings and thinking about the positive things going on around you can really help to improve your day. Prioritize what means the most to you in life and focus on those things or those people. Everything else will fall in line.
  12. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

If you hang out with good people good thoughts will evolve in your mind and you will start doing good. If you handout with bad people, bad things will evolve in your mind and you will start doing bad things. This is the law of attraction, goodness attract goodness and badness attract badness.
  13. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

I used to be a very negative person as well. Whenever there's a problem, I tend to think that I can't get through it or even solve it. Whenever someone bullies me or makes fun of me, I tend to shy away and it hurts my self-esteem. Whenever people hurt me, I tend to think that it's because I'm not worth loving or caring for. And all these things has lead me to doing more negative things. Negative thoughts, negative acts and negative people, all these add up and make the life of a person or even an addict worse.

So as much as we can, we should share positive energy to all people around us. Be that person who smiles when everybody else is frowning. Be that person who sees the goodness in people, when everybody around you judges people. Be that person who can be positive despite the difficulties in life.

So this way, being positive and sharing positivity, you're not only helping yourself, you're also helping others. You're motivating people to see beyond the problem. And in that sense, you're spreading good vibes to all people around you, which doesn't happen a lot these days.
  14. bhu

bhu Active Contributor

Great topic, and I love the responses! I totally believe in the Law of Attraction. Somehow when I wasn't looking, positive people began to gather around me. When they shared their friendship and techniques of making good stuff happen, they literally rubbed off on me. I try what they share and look up more on the web, and it really works. Simple stuff, like help someone else, writing down your goals and putting them where you'll see them often, buying a calendar and writing a short gratitude list in each day's box and using that to smile your way through gray days and tough times, and again, surrounding yourself with positive people. It all works, so give it a try and see for yourself.