An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

What's the most important question they need to ask themselves?

Discussion in 'Helping an Addicted Loved One' started by JoanMcWench, Apr 23, 2015.

1. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWench Community Champion

I was having a conversation with someone I know through a friend that everyone can see has an addiction to cocaine. It's pretty apparent to even myself as a casual observer but my friend recruited me to try & have a discussion with her friend. In this discussion most of what she had to say revolved around people not being aware of the things she does & that her use does not negatively affect her life. It brought me to wonder this:

What's the most important question an addict needs to ask? 'Have you gotten into financial difficulties as a result of your use?' 'Do you use to escape?' 'Do you find yourself turning to lower companions and an inferior environment when using?'
  2. chanelskii

chanelskii Member

I think the two most important question that they should be asking themselves is "Why?" and "Is it worth it?"

There is always a reason, an underlying reason, why a person starts using something. Maybe because of peers, of problems, of stress, of curiosity, of fun. They should ask themselves the main reason, the big thing, as to why they are using it. When they find the answer, then comes the next question.

Is being addicted worth it? Is it worth losing your hard-earned money, your dignity, your sanity, your humanity, your family for a short-period of freedom? They should ask themselves this to know their priorities, and what matters to them the most. They should realize that achieving temporary bliss from using the substances is nothing compared to a lifetime of relief by answering and solving the answer to the "Why" question.
  3. MrsJones

MrsJones Community Listener Community Listener

An important question to me would be to take a good long look at yourself in a mirror and ask 'Am I doing okay? and answer honestly 'No.'
  4. Stella

Stella Member

The most important question for an addict to ask themselves is "Why do I feel the need to depend on drugs? What part of my life is bothering me to the point where I have to let it all out with drugs?" I think that's the most powerful question there is. Being aware of why you do something in any situation in life is ideal for a person. It helps them know more about themselves, and it gives them a starting point for healing. It worked for me! I'm 2 years clean now!
  5. cmleasure

cmleasure Active Contributor

"Why am I doing this?" I think this is the most important question as it attempts to get down to the root of the issue. The answer could be very surface level from - "because I want to" to some answer about a deep rooted emotional issue that is causing them to be in a place to do this to themselves. Addicts need to be honest with themselves.
  6. Johnsnow123

Johnsnow123 Active Contributor

@cmleasure @chanelskii I agree, the biggest question is Why? and How will it help me in the future?. Why? Is pretty much the reason as to why you are doing these harmful substances. It helps people realize that is there really a reason why I'm doing this? then it leads to the question,
    "How will it help me in the future?"
    This question is a huge eye opener and helps people realize the effect the harmful substances will have on him/her in the future. Once they figure it out, they probably will most likely take it to mind. For example, "Oh should I really smoke this cigarette? I heard that it could lead to harmful diseases such as Cancer. A Happy Future? Or a Bad Future?"
  7. Taki

Taki Member

When I was suffering from addiction I totally hung around lower quality people than I would have normally. And generally speaking, I only hung out with other users. When I think back to some of the places where I would pass out after a night of smoking the green it makes my skin crawl. Its a wonder I didn't catch something during those years.
  8. gracer

gracer Community Champion

I think the most important questions addicted people should ask themselves are: 'Am I going to be like this forever? Am I going to die like this?'

Those were the questions I asked myself before and they helped me think twice about my life. I didn't want to be drunk and miserable forever so I had to pull myself together and push myself up from my misery. Now I'm totally sober and happy with my life and I would never want to go back to my old self again.
  9. DCMY

DCMY Member

What am I doing and how is it affecting the ones I love (love me)?
  10. LinB

LinB Senior Contributor

Those are good questions to ask. It's also good to reflect on childhood days when it was all innocence and on fun. There was a time in our lives when drugs were not in the picture. Things ran much smoother and there were less troubles.