An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

What's the real fascination with MARIJUANA?

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by Adrianna, Oct 25, 2015.

1. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Does anybody have any thoughts on what is the fascination with smoking marijuana? It is like a love affair with some people. It is almost as if they idolize it in a sense, a gift from up above or something.
  2. knitmehere

knitmehere Community Champion

I think it starts out at a young age with the peer pressure that it's "soooo cool" to smoke. Then, like with any substance, you get hooked on the way that it makes you feel. I never really got that into it, but my boyfriend is still a heavy smoker. It makes him happy, helps him to release all of the negative energy from the day, etc.
  3. henry

henry Community Champion

I think that anything that makes you experience pleasure is addictive, not only drugs or booze. Weed makes you feel good, so you do it. It also opens your mind. I remember being amazed of the things that came to my mind every time I smoked. So, it's not just because it makes you feel good, it's the mystical properties that, in my experience, it has.
  4. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

Most people who glorify marijuana are the ones who do it only to "improve" their image and look cool to their peers. I have met stoners before, and none of them even talked about weed. In fact, they told me about it a long time after we got to know each other. It seems like they have some kind of "culture" which they are proud of, and live in their own little happy world.
  5. Adrianna

Yeah this is true. Some artists get into different things to work on things. The things that come to ones mind when they smoke pot. This would be an interesting book to do a stream of thought while high on pot. Lol. "the things that crossed my mind."
  6. Adrianna

This is interesting. I never looked at it this way. I'm not so sure they are achieving what they want. Maybe it is cool in their eyes or whatever they are going for. Its kind of funny that people think that way. But I guess cigarettes were always something that people thought that you were cool if you smoked.
    Waiting to let other people know that you smoke pot makes sense. I mean it is not always accepted and some people judge the use of it. So they wait to know somebody first.
  7. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Weeell, it's just marijuana it's so easy to get, specially in the Netherlands. It's super easy to get it there, but it's also easy to get it in the rest of the world as well... Plus marijuana is also being used in the medical setting, so it's becoming less of a taboo in most countries. Marijuana abusers are no longer looked down, at least not in my country. So I guess this is one of the reasons people seem to like it very much.
  8. knitmehere

You're right, it's definitely really easy to get a hold of. I know there were kids who sold it out of the bathrooms at my high school. Plus, the reality is that it's not a drug that has tons of people overdosing or anything like that.
  9. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

I think weed lots of people find weed strangely attractive because there's a lot of misinformation about the drug. Catchphrases like "health benefits" are flung around too often. If using weed has health benefits then I'm certain lots of people will want to find out for themselves if this is true or not.
  10. knitmehere

@Rainman It may or may not have health benefits, but the stigma surrounding it from older generations makes it hard for some people to open up to the idea that it may have positive effects. Just because it might be good doesn't mean that everyone is going to suddenly change their minds and jump on the bandwagon. Some people can't be pushed so easily.
    stariie likes this.
  11. stariie

stariie Community Champion

I had a love affair with weed for many years simply because of the way it made me feel. I had (have) a tendency to be high-string, manic in a way, I suppose; for a while weed took that edge off. It made me feel a sedate-calmness, and a sexiness. I think it's the sexy-calm part that most people fall in love with. There were years of my life where the main objective of my day was to smoke weed. After many years, weed began to make me feel uneasy, so I had to stop.
  12. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

Pop culture may have played a role in elevating the status of marijuana. I remember when I was growing up, reggae music was fairly popular, even more than it is nowadays. Bob Marley was a legendary icon and many teenagers wanted to emulate him. Everyone knew that he was a marijuana user and that it was also a strong element of Rastafarian culture. I think it just snowballed from then on.
  13. Waterel

Waterel Active Contributor

I've been in that situation before because of my entourage and because the rap music made it "cool". Being addicted to a drug isn't ever a good place to be in. I guess that the big music stars and movies make marijuana a cool thing to do in the eyes of the youth.
  14. Adrianna

Tremmie: Its not looked down upon anymore and is becoming more legal. Hmmm yeah I guess that's what it is. I was talking to someone about it several weeks ago and years earlier this person would have gotten disgusted at the idea of someone smoking it; but her reaction was its almost legal. Because big pharma is saying it is for medical use so now its ok.
    I guess in the long run we'll see. Yes there are different parts of the world where it has been legal for quite some time.
  15. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

@Adrianna As I said, weed smokers who brag about it are usually teenagers who want to receive attention. And as everything they do that is out of the usual, reckless and against the law is seen as "brave" and "cool" to their peers. Most adults do not care about being popular anymore, because they grew up. Some of the the stoners I met were even ashamed of what they were, but did not want to stop either.
  16. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

It's an addiction, even though people will fight tooth and nail to deny that it is. It's almost like liquid courage, it's a type of courage. They feel like they can't function without it and if they don't have it they get very irritable. And people have played it off as so harmless and cool, since everyone else is doing it, we must! (That's the mentality).
  17. Rowe992

Rowe992 Senior Contributor

Well I think one of the reason is that marijuana was banned in many countries in the past and now that it is being legalized means that a lot of people are curious as to why it is so and they want to experience smoking it. There have been a lot of new weed smokers since the legalization started.
  18. amin021023

amin021023 Community Champion

It can be that way. Rolling joints can become the most enjoyable thing in a pot smoker's life...they might day dream about smoking weed and use it as a motivation to deal with problems.
  19. Adrianna

Huh, yeah that's true. Teenagers wanting to be popular and adults not caring about that. This is kind of like they don't get that bragging makes no sense yet too. You are right though. I think teenagers today have more pressure to be popular because of social media and the internet. Its stiff really. I didn't even care about stuff like that in high school. I still don't care about it as much as I care about people to identify with. Social media just makes it easier to socialize with people you identify with.
    There are still plenty of adults that brag about pot, that I've seen. Rambling on about smoking a doobie or check out my stash. Lol..its like ok, you're cool. I think it depends upon where you live and how intelligent the community is. I don't know, yeah some stoners feel ashamed that's true. I don't think weed is something to be proud or ashamed of really. I mean as long as they are responsible and all of this but it doesn't usually go hand in hand. They aren't multiplying brain cells they are destroying them.
    Brave or cool to their peers. Hmmm. Yeah that is what its like. Competitive I think falls into it. Like drink them under the table or something like this. As if drugs and alcohol are a sport or something. Ooo look what I can do. Lol Its just a social brainwashing cause there is really nothing cool about it.
  20. Adrianna

This is kind of funny but yes they probably do that. I do that with my raw vegan ice cream. I can remember doing that with alcohol. Sorry but raw foods puts you in a whole new realm. I'm not even going to explain you have to experience.