An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

What's the real fascination with MARIJUANA?

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by Adrianna, Oct 25, 2015.

1. eveliner

eveliner Senior Contributor

Every age has its trends. I'm sure that when you were young - or younger - as well, you had on-going trends which you were peer pressured upon. Now if they were as "ethical" as this one, it doesn't matter. I was personally lured into the cigarette vice, that's what the "coolness" represented back in my time.
  2. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

It's like any addictive substance. People can't admit that they are hooked so they will idolize it. Ask an alcoholic if he likes to drink, the answer is always the same. Pot is no different, like any addiction once you relive the pang it brings a sense of relief and it feels as if you are on top of the world. The reality is you are just relieving the addiction.
  3. djolem

djolem Senior Contributor

Those who idealize anything are just stupid. For me it is a way to relax. Nothing else really. I feel better but it is not something I would die for. It is not like my own personal God. I never understood this. I believe it is because of the movies. They see those idiotic movies with potheads and their relationship with weed and they want to copy that. You will never see a rastaman from Eritrea or Ethiopia acting like that. No Jamaican person will have a relationship with marijuana. They like to smoke it and they do. It is normal thing for them. No need to overreact.
  4. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

@Adrianna I didn't care about being popular in high school either. But maybe that's because we were another generation, at least in my case social media was not yet that popular. I was kind of a shut-in and did not even go to school as much as my classmates did. I was an outcast. I did not want anyone to know about my addictions and how weak I actually was.
  5. Scooby Snack

Scooby Snack Community Champion

I think the fascination is that it's cheap, pretty easily available, and depending on the strain you use it can make you feel amazing. At the same time there are nowhere near as many health risks associated with using marijuana as there are with, say, heroin, cocaine, tobacco/nicotine, or alcohol. I have to say that in kicking my own habit it's been hard to let the feeling of the high go. The fact that it's also natural, especially in our era of environmentally-friendly/organic/green (no pun intended!) focus, it makes the drug very attractive.

On top of that, it does have some genuinely beneficial uses--I stopped smoking, but I do have medicated gummies on-hand to help with my insomnia. I've also heard of others dealing with appetite issues taking cannabis to help stimulate their appetite. So in moderation, and under the right circumstances, it can be a great tool.
  6. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Weed makes people feel good, that's why they smoke it, and that's also the reason why they glorify it. I did smoke weed before, but I didn't really get addicted to it, but I did love the way it made me high.
  7. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I know some people who use it and one uses it for back pain and it seems to work and the painkiller pills were not doing anything for him so he started using it and feels better which can be easy for someone to get addicted to, and it may feel like a friend at times which may seem like it is there for them when they are going through a hard time. Marijuana may feel like a relaxation drug for some people and the effects can be different for each person and sometimes it can make a person to eat more food then need which they would not consume normally and this can cause them to feel unwell the next day and have seen this happen to some people. In New Zealand where I am from marijuana has been approved for medical use and this will help people who suffer from seizures and also back pain which can be hard to heal using drugs which are in the form of pills and do more harm than good in some cases.
  8. KingEeyore

KingEeyore Member

I love the stuff personally. But, I use it when I'm doing something I want to enhance. That's what cannabis does for me at least. It enhances what I doing when I'm under the influence. Whether it's eating, having sex or working out. I get more into and enjoy all those things.

I'm a director of operations of a large distributor. I have 2 kids, sexy wife and I teach and train mixed martial arts regularly. I smoke weed almost every day. I'm never paranoid when I smoke (because their is nothing to be paranoid about.) I think so many people don't know how to use it correctly and it's not for everybody. I enjoy the heck out of it. The biggest thing it's done is help out my marriage. Hilarious, I know...but true. My wife and I open up and chat about our feelings much more when when smoke. It's important to take breaks and I always do ever few months. But other than that, I usually smoke 5 or 6 days a week at night. :)
  9. bleblanc10

bleblanc10 Senior Contributor

It is just something that relaxes you and everybody enjoys being relaxed.
  10. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

"Environmentally-friendly/organic/green" this is it right there. Its a plant and its green so it must be good. Lol It is kind of just fitting in with everything today. Next it will be in a locked glass cabinet at Wholefoods market for sale.
  11. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Right that maybe on places where marijuana is legal, they see it as something cool to try and nothing is wrong with it. Also maybe just like other addictions, they see their substance as their savior or source of joy or something they can live without.
  12. rEEzytheKiD

rEEzytheKiD Active Contributor

When I was younger I did indeed think it was a cool thing to do but as I got older I saw it for what I believe it is. One of the most negative things that surrounds marijuana is that it is illegal but not too many people will be able to tell you why. I'm not saying no one should have a negative opinion of it if it affected them in a negative way, but if you put it's uses up against the legal substances we allow then it's a win for pot.
  13. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

fascination with marijuana is artificial fascination. people are attracted towards marijuana not because it is safe or gives you high, but because media feeds that it is safe and celebrities feed that you can be cool. Looks at the singers, most of them are using marijuana.
  14. Diana S.

Diana S. Member

Smoking marijuana for me it's a ritual, rolling joints after a good meal, watching Narcos for example and smoking in my bed. It makes me feel really happy and relaxed, I honestly think pot it's being underestimated. For me it's not a drug in a bad way, it's a good drug because I can stop smoking it anytime and I won't feel as nervous as a tobacco user or as an alcohol user (I'm telling you from experience because I stopped smoking a few times). I really think this world is messed up, you won't ever see tobacco being a possible cure for cancer.
  15. Nancy D.

Nancy D. Senior Contributor

It is good for most sicknesses. Helps with relaxation and it is a plant...when unaltered it can do wonders for the immune system. The abuse of this plant is what gives it a bad name. I think the medicinal use of it is very effective.
  16. mscooke

mscooke Member

Not sure, actually! I just know that I like it & and how it makes me feel! I'm totally beyond the p eer pressure days. Although, when I was a teenager I tried a few times. One time I got SUPER high (thank God nobody noticed or they wouldn't killed me, lol), ended up sleeping it off and never did it again until I was an adult, about 9 years later. Been doing it ever since (23 years). I used to drink but, couldn't get with the way you feel the next day! Weed doesn't do that you just want up sober, not sober with a headache or nausea.
  17. Nancy D.

Nancy D. Senior Contributor

I think it is how it makes you feel and the medical benefits are amazing. I believe this is what it is supposed to be used for. I don't know if there is a fascination other than it should be legal for medicinal purposes...and many people not being clear on why it was illegal in the first place.
  18. Mara

Mara Community Champion

Based on what my friends are saying about marijuana, I'd say that they indeed think that it's one of the best things that was created on this planet. My musician and painter friends tell me that they are more creative when they smoke weed. And that it makes them feel good as well.
  19. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

This is true, peer pressure has a lot to do with it. If someone tells you that you are having a good time then you think that you are having a good time. It's only when you are by yourself and crashed that you realize that it's not what it's all cracked up to be.
  20. 6up

6up Community Champion

If you can listen to some songs that talk about marijuana then you will just wonder. There is this reggae song that the singer sings about " the highest grade straight into my head". Those are the songs that the youth nowadays listen to. Can we blame them or we are supposed to blame our societies. Most talk about how they get high after smoking marijuana without talking about its negative side. I think that we still need to do more to convince those who smoke it.