An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

What's your favorite quote?

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by Survivor21, Nov 4, 2014.

1. Survivor21

Survivor21 Member

I really enjoy reading, and I've got a couple of quotes that I've pasted in my room to inspire me whenever I'm feeling low. Out of all them, my favorite one is:

"I will either find a way, or make one." - Hannibal

Please post your favorite quotes that inspire you.
  2. Dinofossil

Dinofossil Member

"Nothing's perfect, the world isn't perfect, but it's there for us, trying the best it can. That's what makes it so damn beautiful."
    -- Hiromu Arakawa

This is my favorite quote, as it reminds me that while I can't fix the world, I can help those close to me. They, in turn, will help the ones close to them. It's the least we can do for each other. In the end, maybe that's all that matters. Not winning, or bring number one, but helping.
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
  3. jdroc

jdroc Active Contributor

Watch the waves in the ocean. The higher the wave goes, the deeper is the wake that follows it. One moment you are the wave, another moment you are the hollow wake that follows. Enjoy both--dont get addicted to one. Dont say: I would always like to be on the peak. It is not possible. Simply see the fact: it is not possible. It has never happened and it will never happen. It is simply impossible--not in the nature of things. Then what to do? Enjoy the peak while it lasts and then enjoy the valley when it comes. What is wrong with the valley? What is wrong with being low? It is a relaxation. A peak is an excitement, and nobody can exist continuously in an excitement.
    Rosyrain likes this.
  4. springbreeze

springbreeze Active Contributor

I have a short but very wise one... :D

"Life is really simple but we insist on complicating it." -- Confucius

Another short one I love...

The most important thing is to enjoy your life - to be happy - it's all that matters." -- Audrey Hepburn
    Rosyrain likes this.
  5. jdroc

jdroc Active Contributor

I also like the poem Mandala said to himself everyday he was in jail for those 27 years.

Even though my head is bloody it remains unbowed.
  6. jdroc

jdroc Active Contributor

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.

John Wooden
  7. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

"Fire and tears enlighten my world
    This world dressed in fear
    Awe the emotions of wrath
    Behold the serpent's fear"

Well, this is actually just a bunch of lyrics from a Rotting Christ song called Lex Talionis, but they are pretty inspirational if you think so, and also describe my life. I find some of their lyrics (especially chorus lyrics) very deep and related to me somehow.
  8. megankl

megankl Active Contributor

My all time favorite quote would have to be "Don't cry because it is over, smile because it happened."

I really believe that everyone should live up to this quote. Don't be sad that something is over. Smile because it happened and that you got the privilege to experience that.
    Rosyrain likes this.
  9. shandrum

shandrum Member

Here is my quote of the day.

"Sometimes our fate resembles a fruit tree in winter. Who would think that those branches would turn green again and blossom, but we hope it, we know it." Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe

My day is filled with ups and downs. If today is a bad day--- or this week is a bad week---I know it's not forever and that I will come through it. Linda Picone
    Rosyrain likes this.
  10. Krrizal

Krrizal Member

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "

"A single feat of daring can alter the whole conception of what is possible."

"Fall seven times, stand up eight."
  11. tysonguyen

tysonguyen Member

If you spend too much time thinking about a thing, you'll never get it done. -Bruce Lee

I love Bruce Lee's work ethic and hard work he puts in every day to become better, faster and stronger. This is something I struggle every day and need to get past thinking about things. If you always stress about something, it is not going to get something done for you, but you must take actions upon them. Something we struggle on an everyday basis to get work done and this always influences me to finish tasks as soon as possible.
  12. shandrum

shandrum Member

My quote for today is the following- "Once we know our own weaknesses they cease to do us any harm." George Christopher Lichtenberg

Am I aware of my weaknesses? Maybe some of my closest friends will-------gently------help me identify them so I ca change, if I want to. Linda Picone
  13. Acube

Acube Member

"Bad association spoil useful Habits"
    "Their will be a new Heaven and a new Earth"
    "In the last days critical times hard to deal with will be here"
    "The whole world is lying in the power of the wicked one"
    "Throw all your anxieties on him because he cares for you"
    "The earth remains forever"
    "He will wipe out every tears from their eyes and death will be no more"
  14. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I enjoy reading all the quotes in this thread. :D
    A movie quote that I really like is from the movie Forrest Gump "Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you gonna get"
    Some other inspirational quotes that I like are " You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream" -C. S. Lewis and " Keep your eyes on the stars, and your feet on the ground." Theodore Roosevelt
  15. KC Sunshine

KC Sunshine Member

So, it doesn't have quite the same punch without having read the whole book first, but in the Conclusion to Walden, Henry Thoreau wrote: "I learned this, at least, by my experiment: that if one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours. He will put some things behind, will pass an invisible boundary; new, universal, and more liberal laws will begin to establish themselves around and within him; or the old laws be expanded, and interpreted in his favor in a more liberal sense, and he will live with the license of a higher order of beings. In proportion as he simplifies his life, the laws of the universe will appear less complex, and solitude will not be solitude, nor poverty poverty, nor weakness weakness. If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them."
  16. mkCampbell

mkCampbell Active Contributor

I'm going with a movie quote here, actually two. The first is from one of the City Slickers movies where they talk about finding "that one thing" it ends up the one thing that makes everyone happy really depends on each person "you have to figure that out for yourself." The other is "we're burning daylight." That's from a John Wayne movie, the Cowboys, I think.
  17. kevinkimers

kevinkimers Community Champion

"An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" - Benjamin Franklin

I believe that sums up all the answers to life. If you take measures to prevent it, you wont have to worry about solving it later which is even harder to do. The trick is, finding a way to prevent it or to predict it so that you can take measures to prevent it.
  18. shandrum

shandrum Member

I have a quote that I actually found that I wrote down in one of my notebooks a long time ago. I actually came across it a few days ago. "Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving." Albert Einstein.

I don't know why I wrote this quote down at the time, but I did...maybe, it had to do with the fact that Albert Einstein wrote it. However, whatever my reason at the time, it was important enough for me to write it. So, I wanted to share it with you.
  19. Acube

Acube Member

"When there is no skillful direction, the people fall, but there is success through many advisers"

"Anxieties in a man's heart weighs him down,but a good word cheers it up"

"Wealth quickly gained will dwindle, but the wealth of the one who gathers it little by little will increase"

"Expectation postponed makes the heart sick, but a desire realized is a tree of life"
  20. CieraLashae

CieraLashae Member

"I'm not where I want to be but thank God I'm not where I use to be." -Joyce Meyer