An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

What's Your Favorite Recovery Song?

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by menace, Nov 9, 2014.

1. menace

menace Community Moderator

I have so many but tonight this one resonated with me in particular -- A very humbling tune called "At This Point in My Life" by Tracy Chapman. It's been one of my theme songs since I challenged myself to give up alcohol and cocaine five years ago this month. It brings me down to earth and reminds me that only "birds and angels get the wings to fly."

What's your favorite recovery tune?
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
    MrsJones and Joseph like this.
  2. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

That's a cool song. I've never really thought about a soundtrack to sobriety. Hmm let me see. If I had to chose just one, which one would it be?
    Joseph likes this.
  3. Krrizal

Krrizal Member

My radio station, z88.3, plays faith-based songs that empower me and get me through the day. Even if you are not a person of Christian faith, I highly recommend tuning in. All of their songs bring hope and encourage you.
    Joseph likes this.
  4. shandrum

shandrum Member

My favorite song that I love to hear when I am down is "In the Eye's of Angels" by Sarah Mclachlan. It's an older song, but it is full of meaning and has a healing warmth when you hear the lyrics. I am always reaffirmed that we all have a higher being watching over us in times of need when I hear this song.

Joseph likes this.
  5. valiantx

valiantx Community Champion

My recovery song is silence. Playing songs I had listen to when I do drugs, will only remind me of my drug memories - not a good thing to do in my opinion.
    Joseph likes this.
  6. megankl

megankl Active Contributor

My favourite recovery song would have to be fast cars - tracy chapman. I don't know what it was about this song and I still don't to this day but it really made me stop and think about life and what I want to get from it.
    Joseph likes this.
  7. geegee

geegee Active Contributor

I don't have one particular theme song. I know how powerful a song can be though. I was actually interested to look up a song mentioned by another member here. Lexi shared her "turning point" song in this thread: http://talk.drugabuse.com/threads/my-story.458/ The song she mentioned was "I'm coming home" by Skylar Grey. I looked up the lyrics and was really moved by the words in that song! I'm embedding the video here:
    Joseph likes this.
  8. Davienna

Davienna Community Champion

Redemption Song by the Legendary Bob Marley is my all time favourite. " Emancipated yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds".
    Joseph likes this.
  9. Mallard

Mallard Member

Not sure if this song is supposed to be about addiction, but I'm a big Linkin Park fan, and this came out when I was going through one of my many withdrawals and trying to forgive myself for hurting most everyone in my life. I couldn't listen to it without crying. I actually downloaded it on my phone and took it to an NA meeting and played it for everyone. I think we can all relate to the lyrics.

"What I've Done"

In this farewell
    There’s no blood
    There’s no alibi
    ‘Cause I’ve drawn regret
    From the truth
    Of a thousand lies

[Pre-Chorus:]
    So let mercy come
    And wash away
    What I’ve done

[Chorus:]
    I'll face myself
    To cross out what I’ve become
    Erase myself
    And let go of what I’ve done

Put to rest
    What you thought of me
    While I clean this slate
    With the hands of uncertainty

[Pre-Chorus]

[Chorus]

For what I’ve done
    I start again
    And whatever pain may come
    Today this ends
    I’m forgiving what I’ve done!

[Chorus]

What I’ve done
    Forgiving what I’ve done
    Joseph likes this.
  10. Davienna

Beautiful song and any song that gives you comfort/relief and or help you to cope relates in one way or another to addiction. Even if it is just indirectly.
    Joseph likes this.
  11. Davienna

Beautiful song and it relates to a lot of different situations. Love it to the max!
    Joseph likes this.
  12. Davienna

Made tears come to my eyes, one of the best recovery songs stated here. I love it and it really relates to a person recovering from addictions in so many ways. It is also uplifting and gives me a sense of peace and courage. First time I am hearing it too.
    Joseph likes this.
  13. CieraLashae

CieraLashae Member

My favorite recovery songs are "Break Every Chain" by Tasha Cobbs and "I Won't Go Back" by Williams McDowell. These two gospel songs are so inspirational and always seem to lift my hope.
    Joseph likes this.
  14. Davienna

I love gospel songs and will be listening to these two in short order.
    Joseph likes this.
  15. Joseph

Joseph DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

Feeling this Eminem tune today...

16. Victor Leigh

Victor Leigh Member

I have an old favourite. It's 'My Way'. I like the version sung by Frank Sinatra. When I feel a bit lost in my wandering through this lonely planet, when I feel that I should just give up trying to be different, when I feel that I should just follow the crowd, I listen to this song and it strengthens my resolve to continue on my journey through life. My way.
    Joseph likes this.
  17. Joseph

Joseph DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

Love this song! Great testament to the human spirit! Listened to this song many a time myself, and also prefer Sinatra's version. Thanks for sharing, Victor!
  18. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

This song is beautiful it's from a 1990 movie staring Charlie Sheen called Cadence. About a military style chain-gang. When I first heard the song on this movie I fell in love with it. It hits home with me, it expresses how I feel.
  19. 003

003 Community Champion

I listen to tons of classical music especially those of Chopin, his nocturnes are very effective in consoling me and making me back to life, making me inspired again. Beethoven music also don't fail to enliven me, that's why I really love classical music, and not that I love them I am also very thankful for them that I have known them. In fact, I couldn't imagine my life without them. When I have problem, I just listen to them until I become okay.
  20. e_rosenfeld

e_rosenfeld Member

Otherside by Macklemore is my go to song when I think about addiction and recovery. It is a tear jerker though, so be warned. This song helped me get through a lot of struggles I faced in life, not necessarily over coming drug addictions, but you get the point.