New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

What's your favorite support group meeting for recovery? AA? NA? SMART Recovery?

Discussion in 'Other Recovery Support Groups' started by Dominica, Apr 27, 2018.

1. Dominica

Dominica Author, Writer, Recovery Advocate Community Listener

Just want to hear about your preferred support group for recovery... Please, no bashing any groups. :)
    True concern likes this.
  2. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

I love Al-Anon. When our son was struggling with his addiction, Al-Anon pretty much saved me and my wife. So much comfort in being around others who know exactly what you're experiencing. And it's so helpful to know that you're not alone.
    True concern likes this.
  3. True concern

True concern Community Champion

I don't know maybe because its 1:50a.m.its humorous but i will admit the sternness i hear when i read...Please,no bashing any other groups.puts a smile on my face and makes me laugh inside
  4. True concern

True concern Community Champion

In all honesty im not sure if this makes sense or not but me personally used various methods of support.The detox that literally nearly took mylife was not support but was actually a arrogance and honestly the more i share my story and recall the only way i can use word's i know to describe it is Hell on earth minus the flames with a belief so strong in the lord that even if their were flames he would've shielded me from them.But the direct answer to support honestly comes from two places here on earth.1st.One of the most destructive individuals in my family who to this day im the only one within the family who will speak to him because he was/could be one of thee most violent individuals you have ever met spending more than 20 year's of his life in pelican bay prison where he had to learn how to survive and spent 10 year's of that 20 in the SHU secure housing unit for stabbing other prisoner's to death.In the 80's it wasn't looked at as murder but a way of life in maximum security prison.And 2nd here on this forum as i troll a few of you because you help me by reading insight you have supplied for other's that i don't always agree with but i understand the importance of different opinions and the few i follow i do so because it's pure real from the heart advice and direction you supply as well as encouragement.i don't really have an outside source other than the one individual who through God was able to actually get me to see what my worth really is.Not something one would expect from a violent ex con but that is the absolute truth
    Dominica likes this.