An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

What's your opinion on electronic cigarettes?

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by Nergaahl, Nov 4, 2014.

1. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

I'm trying to quit smoking, so I decided to buy one. Truth is that I'm making good progress, but also many people / websites say that they are even more harmful than real cigarettes. I've experienced heart aches while smoking, even though I have heart problems, they didn't occur that much when I was smoking usual cigarettes. I think that could also be because of the accelerated heartbeat someone gets while smoking something.

What your opinion on this? Have electronic cigarettes worked for you?
  2. jade870

jade870 Active Contributor

I have tried to quit smoking as well, so I thought electric cigarettes might help. For me there was no change whatsoever, it did not help me. I had my heart set on trying to quit smoking I had done just about everything that I could think of. The electronic cigarettes didn't affect me in any way, so it wasn't long after that I it started back smoking my regular cigarettes. I don't really believe that I would recommend the electronic cigarettes for anyone, to me there a complete waste of money.
  3. MrsJones

MrsJones Community Listener Community Listener

Congratulations on your progress Negaahl.

I haven't tried the electronic cigarettes but I know a couple of people who have and they switched back. That in itself made me not want to even try them.

Another thing, I don't like the fact that they are a man-made product. Just another fad it seems to me and eventually it will fade away. I think I'd rather chew gum or plop a piece of candy in my mouth. That's worked for me before.
  4. Lori33

Lori33 Member

I have been a smoker for 15 years. I had tried everything with gum, patches, pills but nothing seemed to work. I have been using the e cigarette for 3 months and haven't picked up a cigarette since. I feel 100% better and can breath again!
    MrsJones likes this.
  5. Nergaahl

For me it's not a "fad", for me it was a need. A fad is for people that buy it just to be "cool", and smoke regular cigarettes at the same time (which I consider some pretentious, money wasting and irrational people). But thanks for the information, I think this means it was only an illusion that the e cigarette actually helps me and actually was just my willpower.
    MrsJones likes this.
  6. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I'm not a smoker so I cannot say if e cigarettes or vapor is a better or in other words a lesser evil. However, this is the analogy. There are different grades of marijuana. You use to smoke the high end potent strain. But now you are on the cheaper and weaker strain. That's how I look at it. It might be a cold turkey quitting, but at least some of you are feeling better. It is not a solution, but at least the people around you won't get second hand smoke.
  7. Sprezza

Sprezza Member

I don't like them. I don't think they will get you any closer to quit smoking and thus overcoming your addiction. After all they're nicotine delivery devices intended to be used like a cigarette.
  8. tasha

tasha Community Listener Community Listener

I tried those vapour things and they didn't work for me only because I didnt believe they would. I love smoking cigarettes and my mind was programmed to do just that. I eventually smoked both which made me feel sick but I continued to do it anyway.
    The electronic is the lesser of two evils like it has been said and the good news is that you have made an effort to want to quit, if it works for you then continue but if you are getting pains then perhaps it is best to just stop and only when you have a serious craving take it out.
  9. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I do not smoke but read some article about electronic smoking because I am thinking of recommending this to a friend. But after reading some about it, I do not think that it will be really helpful since nicotine is still there although can be regulated.
  10. Nergaahl

I do generally have serious cravings, as I've been smoking for almost 15 years. But I will try to reduce the amount of nicotine until it gets to 0 grams. This advice helps you know. Thanks.
  11. Juan

Juan Active Contributor

I haven't used electronic cigarettes, but I think it's not a good way to quit smoking. You could be reducing your nicotine intake, but you are not eliminating the habit of inhaling smoke. So, at any moment where you don't have you e-cig handy, you will end up smoking a cigarette anyway.

I believe the best way is removing the whole habit, not substituting it for a less harmful replica. It's like trying to quit drinking beer by drinking light beer, and then non-alcoholic.
  12. tasha

tasha Community Listener Community Listener

Another way to do it is to convert your mind. People quit and it is a fear of losing that comforter so instead of buying a pack of 20 get a pack of 10 and change your mindset to 10. Once you are into the habit of 10 then change it to 5. Again after you have done this drop to 3, by the time you are down to 3 you won't care about smoking snymore and the cravings will ease off and withdrawal will be easier too.
  13. DAE89

DAE89 Member

I switched from cigarettes to a handheld vaporizer just over a week ago and its been great. I have had zero cigarette cravings so far. I don't smell like stale smoke anymore, my taste and smell has improved, and I don't wake up coughing or phlemgy anymore. I'm a very orally fixated person, so the vape helped me kick cigarettes because its something I can hold in my hand and put in my mouth and actually smoke, something that gum or patches lacks. I actually like the act of smoking, I just wanted to quit cigarettes for the health reasons. With vapes, you can buy liquid with differing amounts of nicotine: I started with 18mg/mL, and over the coming months I'm going to taper down to liquid with a nicotine content of 0mg/mL. I'm much happier now that I switched to a vape, and would highly recommend it to someone who wants to quit cigarettes and who've failed with the gum or a patch.
  14. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

I have heard mixed opinions about these, so I'm not really sure whether they help or not or if they are less harmful than the real thing. Obviously, the fact that they still provide nicotine leaves me with the impression that they must be just as addictive as the real thing anyway. I have considered using them but I imagine they are probably also more expensive than the real thing (just like nicotine gum and suchlike is).
  15. DAE89

DAE89 Member

The upfront cost is more expensive; a starter kit runs about $35 to $55, then the e-liquid is about $11 or $12 for a 15mL bottle. However, a bottle will last much longer than a pack of smokes, so you save money in the long run (especially if you were a heavy smoker). Also, they make e-liquid with varying nicotine contents, anywhere from 0mg/mL to 18mg/mL.
    Sparkster likes this.
  16. Nergaahl

Actually, they are cheaper. A liquid bottle is cheaper than a pack of cigarettes, and you don't have to buy it as often. That's why I like "vaping", it's also cheaper ha ha. And I know the thing still has nicotine, but doesn't have so many toxic substances as a cigarette has. And you can lower the nicotine level to 0, and then you can "vape" just because it's relaxing.
    Sparkster likes this.
  17. Ronsa

Ronsa Active Contributor

Most of my friends who were addicted to smoking believed electronic cigarettes did help them get rid of their smoking habits. The electronic cigarettes provided some kind of psychological comfort. However, I have not heard of them complaining about the heart problems. It might be a better idea to consult a doctor for your heart problems instead.
  18. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

Hmm interesting. Ok, so what is the difference between these e-cigarettes and sheesha? My son has started smoking sheesha recently instead of tobacco and sheesha is supposedly also less toxic with 0mg tar/nicotine. The only thing is it can only be smoked through a bong/pipe because it's so sticky, although it is vapourized. Like e-cigs it comes in all sorts of different flavours. Is there any real difference?
  19. dpaige707

dpaige707 Member

An electronic cigarette is a great place to start on the road to non-addiction. I can speak firsthand on the benefits of using an electronic cigarette because it helped me quit cigarettes a year ago. Along with my 2 roommates, I purchased 1 to help us quit cigarettes because one them was going to have a baby. After 3 or 4 months I quit all tobacco products and after a while I really didn't need the e-cigarette. I would invest $40-$60 in a good e-cigarette and half the time it would be lost and I wasn't about to go and buy a pack of cigarettes. I'll admit sometimes the equipment is annoying but it's worth it if it adds years onto your life.
  20. mkCampbell

mkCampbell Active Contributor

My wife smoked a pack a day for years. She has since switched to a vapor cig. The place she goes to custom fills here "Flavor" that mimicks the taste of the ones she used to smoke. She has had 2-3 real smokes in the last... well I guess a year! Plus she smells better and recently she noticed it.

She was with a group of smokers and left the meeting mad because she smelled like smoke. When she got some winter clothes from the attic she commented that they smelled like smoke from last year. She has also allowed the vapor guy to reduce the amount of nicotine in the vapor cig about every 2-3 months.

The best part - the extra couple of hundred dollars in her bank account every month! The vapor cig cost her about 35 bucks, her refills are about $9 a week or so.