An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

What's your opinion on electronic cigarettes?

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by Nergaahl, Nov 4, 2014.

1. mkCampbell

mkCampbell Active Contributor

That's exactly what my wife says. Read my comment below. It's a ton cheaper - she was surprised to see the extra $$$ in her bank account. She's lowered her nicotine a couple of times, smells better, and has started exercising more. A bottle lasts her about a week, give or take a day or two. Compare that to a pack or more of $5 plus smokes! Vaping is way cheaper and as a spouse I'm cheering her on!
  2. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I don't know the science behind them so I can't speak on that, but I am more in favor of the large vaporizers than electronic cigarettes because they are a bit more powerful. Electronic cigarettes are a bit too weak and from my experience it just makes you want to go back to regular cigarettes but since vaporizers are a lot more powerful they are a bit more equal to regular cigarettes as a substitute.
  3. mkCampbell

That is a great point. There is a difference between an Ecig and a Vaporizer. Ecigs are bought at stores, gas stations, etc and are disposable. Vaporizers are from Vap stores where you can choose your flavor and nicotine levels. The Vapor unit is still there.
  4. Charli

Charli Community Champion

Thanks for confirming. I only know of this stuff from hearing about it from my friends so I'm not really that well versed in it, but I have heard that e cigarettes just don't cut it enough and after a while most of the ones who try it revert back to regular cigarettes. The tragic thing is that most of them could possibly have been able to find a worthy substitute had they been able to dig further but I'm guessing vaporizers just aren't as popular.
  5. mkCampbell

Yep, that's the difference for sure between the two. My neighbor bought the cig store kind and they were expensive and disposable. They didn;t seem to last long as well. My wife's vaporizer has a few pieces, can be customized and worked on, is a mid-grade kind - yes they come in cheap to expensive. But, when her Vap broke she took it in and they fixed it. The place is like a cool cigar store without tobacco and very upscale. They seem to market to a different market and are HUGE on customer service. As for popularity, there are vapor stores popping up all over the place in our area. Competition must be huge as is demand from people trying to quit. Here's a link to a store we stopped by when traveling through Tennessee on the way to a football game. You can see the inside etc - I am not an employee or owner of this store just passing on a cool link. http://vintagevapors.com/
  6. megankl

megankl Active Contributor

From my personal experience the electronic cigarette didn't really work for me. Nothing did. I just had to one day quit cold turkey and I am proud to say that today I am 2 years smoke free! I hope it works for you, and that any decision you make is the best one! Just even thinking about quitting is the key to a healthier happier you!!
  7. Sonjapunk

Sonjapunk Member

Nothing is safe so it's easy for corrupt authorities to discredit and call for prohibition of products that are safer or more effective than the ones their sponsors profit from. It's in the financial interests of some lobbyists and industries to close the nicotine market and prohibit recreational use of nicotine although it's against the public interest and causes public health disasters.
    There have been zero recorded serious health problems from vaping in over three years of widespread use. Nicotine itself is toxic and a stimulant, unless you overdose it''s physiological action is similar to caffeine.
  8. primalclaws1974

primalclaws1974 Senior Contributor

Interesting you brought this up. I saw my brother-in-law smoking again after a year of using vapors. He said it was not strong enough. My mom smoked 35 years, but vapor has kept her in check for three years now. I think e-cigarettes are like any "lighter" cigarette. It's going to take willpower.
  9. kevinkimers

kevinkimers Community Champion

A friend of mine had the same problem. He quit for two weeks using an e-cig and then he showed up with a cig in his hand. I guess they don't work for everyone
  10. Nate5

Nate5 Active Contributor

I think it's all dependent on the person who is using them. Some people react well to going cold turkey, some react to nicotine patches. If the person is smoking less and is less dependent on nicotine because of vaping, then go ahead. It shows to be a safer and healthier alternative to smoking an actual cigarette. The fact of the matter is how long will the person vape for until they can completely be off the need to smoke.
  11. ImMrCuriosity

ImMrCuriosity Member

I think it is a good decision and a good way to stop smoking. You won't be smoking all that harmful products that a cigarette has. You will smoke the nicotine, that is what your body needs in a way. However, as soon as you think you can stop with the e-cigarette, stop it. And put in the game your willpower. You will get it, I know it! Keep strong and don't give up.
  12. allen

allen Member

I don't know if you are aware but when i was living in Spain there was a big story about how some e-cigarettes were linked to lung cancer this was in 2013-14 so i would avoid, and use will power instead. I've quit this time 7 yrs which is a record, having done a 5 yr and a 3 yr before. Quitting is never easy but living without is.
  13. kita

kita Member

I've tried electric cigarettes, but they did not work for me. It just doesn't taste the same as a real cigarette and never satisfies the craving for nicotine. Besides, if they are just as harmful as the real thing, then what's the power point?
  14. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I tried electronic cigarettes before and it burned my throat so bad that I ended up going back to my normal cigarettes. The bad thing about trying to quit with electronic cigarettes is that you don't get rid of the physiological urge to quit because you are still smoking in a sense.