An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

When a person goes through withdrawal.

Discussion in 'Withdrawal Symptoms' started by Nancy D., Feb 13, 2016.

1. Nancy D.

Nancy D. Senior Contributor

I personally have had friends who have suffered from their terrible crack/cocaine addiction. It seems like they wanted to get clean..but it is just the withdrawal symptoms are unbearable. This is what holds up the detox process most of the time. Has anyone ever witnessed someone going through withdrawal form a drug addiction?
  2. darkrebelchild

darkrebelchild Community Champion

Withdrawal form for people addicted to drugs is almost impossible especially when done alone. Loneliness plays a major role in the lives of addicts. When they are surrounded by positive thinking people constantly who help them take their mind off their addiction, it gradually wears off. Staying alone and desiring to withdraw is almost impossible.
  3. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

I drove my son to rehab while he was in the midst of withdrawing from heroin. It was horrible. He was lying in the backseat of my car crying, sweating, aching, screaming. It was like I was watching a movie. I don't ever want to see anything like that again.
  4. fgtb34r

fgtb34r Member

I have dealt with a friend withdrawing from opiates. What an ordeal, but he fought through and beat it. He had the shakes, sweats, and no appetite for days. Once his body had fought through this stage, he was able to straighten himself out, and has not relapsed. I hope to never go through something like deanokat described, especially if it were with my own child.
  5. djdrug

djdrug Community Champion

Withdrawal symptoms are really terrible. I know someone who just went crazy (sort of) everytime he tried to quit. I guess that is why he never could quit until the very end. I think the best way to not have withdrawal symptoms is to reduce consumption slowly instead of doing it suddenly one day and then suffering and relapsing.
  6. guitarmom1279

guitarmom1279 Member

Has anyone ever went through withdrawls from lack of caffeine? I have been told I have an addiction to Mountain Dew Voltage and I decided to prove them wrong. Since then I have developed tremors,terrible headaches,and even moodiness. So I am woundering if these symptoms are withdrawls.
  7. gmckee1985

gmckee1985 Senior Contributor

Yes, guitarmom you are certainly going through withdrawals. At least that's what it sounds like to me. I've also had problems with addiction to caffeine. It something that I feel as though I need to function at my best. I try to regulate myself and kind of watch how many sodas, and how much coffee I drink. But if I can a day or two without it, I just don't feel like myself. Obviously drug addicts have it much worse, but it's still a form of addiction, in my opinion.
  8. akiram13

akiram13 Community Champion

I had to see my little brother go into what I think was a ceasar. He just dropped to the ground and started shaking violently. At the time it was night and we were a few steps from home. I had never been so scared in my life. He talks to voices we cant hear and sometimes yells or screams
  9. melody

melody Active Contributor

I have seen people detox from alcohol, cocaine/crack and heroin. They all had different symptoms, but were all terrible. There is no worse feeling than watching someone lose their bodies and minds, and that is what it seemed like. I think that is when you have to be really compassionate with a person. At this point, they are really suffering, and they want nothing more than to get their fix. They need loving people to help them get through it.
  10. remnant

remnant Community Champion

I have observed cigarette smokers in the throes of withdrawal symptoms. One of my colleagues at a former work station would become a nervous wreck. I have seen others shivering yet it is hot. Even mild drugs like caffeine can have severe withdrawal symptoms especially among old people and housewives who tend to consume tea frequently. This mostly affects people in areas where tea and coffee are traditional beverages. Some people can't concentrate at work and are generally irritable until they satisfy the craving.
  11. Jack Wallace

Jack Wallace Senior Contributor

Diffеrеnt drugs аnd substаnсеs will hаvе diffеrеnt withdrаwаl symptоms аnd timеlinеs, dеpеnding оn hоw thеy intеrасt with thе brаin аnd bоdily funсtiоns. Drugs аrе аbsоrbеd аnd rеmаin асtivе in thе bоdy fоr diffеring аmоunts оf timе. This is оftеn rеfеrrеd tо аs thе drug’s “hаlf-lifе,”whiсh rеlаtеs tо thе diffеrеnt withdrаwаl timеlinеs fоr еасh substаnсе.
  12. Lostboy8731

Lostboy8731 Community Champion

Almost being the key operative. I'm currently in day two of withdrawal after relapse. Its hell but it can be down. Got lots of liquids beside bed. And staying wrapped up in blankets
  13. deanokat

Drink lots of water. And pamper yourself as you go through this hell. Radical self-care is okay!
  14. Lostboy8731

Lostboy8731 Community Champion

Thank you @deanokat I'm fighting tooth and nail. Going through the come down I guess you'd say was nothing compared to the withdrawal I'm battling now. Pain aches cold sweats, constantly gagging just trying to breathe. Throwing up. It's hell. But I'm getting it done. There's no opening in treatment here for a while so I'm on a one man battle with against my drug addicted self on this one. It's tough and I won't lie being this dope sick I've thought about going to the dealer but ive stayed strong with the help of all of you and it's helping me stay inside and fight through. So I'm doing just that. Fighting 1 day at a time.
    Dominica and deanokat like this.
  15. deanokat

@Lostboy8731... I'm sorry to hear that the battle is so hard. But I know you can fight through it. And I know you can come out feeling better on the other side. One day at a time. One hour at a time. Even one minute at a time if that's what helps you stay on the right path.

Positive, healing juju coming your way, by the truckload. You. Can. Do. This.