An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

When a recreational marijuana smoker becomes an addict?

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by Jose, Mar 26, 2016.

1. Jose

Jose Active Contributor

Some people smoke marijuana in a recreational way, only on weekends, maybe just a couple times withing a month; but some others become part of that reduced percentage of hardcore marijuana addicts. When did your recreational smoking got out of control?
  2. rz3300@

rz3300@ Senior Contributor

It seems to be a fine line between someone who could be considered addicted and someone who needs it medically to someone who uses it recreationally, and what exactly that means is subjective at best. I guess it just depends on the person and their lifestyle choices, and that really is when there is a need for some serious self evaluation.
  3. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I guess addiction happens in this case when the psychological need to smoke grows bigger, and the person starts believing they are addicted to smoking marijuana, to the point to believing they need it in order to function or do certain things.
  4. ZXD22

ZXD22 Senior Contributor

It is surely possible and many marijuana smokers do end up being addicted to the smoke, the taste, maybe even the smell of the product. I remember smoking twice with my friends and by the second time, I was just turned off by the experience. I guess I was one of the lucky ones...
  5. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

When you start experiencing cannabis withdrawal then you most certainly are an addict. Some marijuana withdrawal symptoms:

Irritability, anxiety, insomnia, feeling bored, reduced appetite.

Most marijuana addicts once they realize that they could be experiencing this because they haven't taken marijuana will often smoke some weed to avoid dealing with the withdrawal symptoms. That's weed addiction.
  6. remnant

remnant Community Champion

The boundary between addiction to a drug and using it for recreational purposes is fuzzy. It starts with the person developing a reliance on the drug in a rather insidious manner. One soon finds that they can't function normally and usually develop blues when one is not on a high. This is the tipping stage.
  7. TryHard

TryHard Member

In my opinion in becomes an addiction one you start making life decisions around it. Or to be more specific, when you stop doing thing to go get high instead.

There are people who can smoke frequently and still be productive. I know some personally. But not everyone can do that, and it makes a HUGE difference once you know you limits.
  8. Jack Wallace

Jack Wallace Senior Contributor

Thе drug (mаrijuаnа) mаsks thе prоblеm fоr а timе (whilе thе usеr is high). Whеn thе “high” fаdеs, thе prоblеm, unwаntеd соnditiоn оr situаtiоn rеturns mоrе intеnsеly thаn bеfоrе. Thе usеr mаy thеn turn tо strоngеr drugs sinсе mаrijuаnа nо lоngеr “wоrks.”
  9. bellahpereira

bellahpereira Member

I think the recreational smokers that get out of control are the ones that have the most they want to escape from. I'm not justifying their abuse but I know some people that really do need to take a hit every day to help deal with their anxiety or depression. The problem becomes being dependent on it - but I think most people can easily take a break if they had to but they've fallen into the comfort zone that marijuana provides them. I think it only really becomes a problem when you spend all day getting high and not handling your responsibilities.
  10. DPowerz

DPowerz Member

My Ex would actually hit a bowl while she was at work. She was a Nurse and at least one of the other nurses hit it with her. I could never smoke and function at work, I went to work one time high and I was buggin out the entire time thinking someone would notice. I think it ceases to be recreational when it slides into other situations that it doesn't really belong in. When You need it to feel good and to function. It kinda creeps on you, oozing into the areas of your life until it covers everything. I think that's where abuse rears it's head.
  11. bellahpereira

bellahpereira Member

Definitely agree with you. When you're smoking so much that it starts to be something that you do in a place where it doesn't belong, you've crossed a line that's hard to get back from. My friend smokes up at work too but he's a manager at a McDonald's so it's not quite as serious as a high nurse - but it's still completely unprofessional as he's handling people's food. I never understood how these people are able to function while being high at work - no judgement, but I'm really curious as to how they can do it. I couldn't even go to class high in fear of someone noticing or getting a giggle fit or zoning out completely. I think being high when you are handling important responsibilities is definitely the point where the person would need help. Just my two cents :)
  12. FenWoFon

FenWoFon Active Contributor

When he starts to spend significant amounts of cash on the weed and/or sells his stuff just for the dope money. When he starts to leave what he loves or his responsabilities just to get something to smoke or have a time off to smoke something. That's when you become an addict.