An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

When cigarettes taste horrible

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by Rosyrain, Sep 29, 2015.

1. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

This is when you know you have quit for good. I tried one the other day and was repulsed by the smell and taste of it, yup, I quit for good!
  2. singingintherain

singingintherain Community Champion

That's excellent! In many ways it is good to have that "I know for sure" feeling!

Do you find you still get any cravings at all? How long ago did you quit?
  3. SLTE

SLTE Community Champion

That's an excellent sign, and not one every ex-smoker is likely to get. My dad used to smoke in his thirties, but he gave it up after a few years. He'll still light up a cigarette or a cigar every once and a while, though - I'm talking, like, maybe once every two years - and he still seems to enjoy the thing. No sign of repulsion. I don't think he'll become addicted or anything, but it's still worrisome that his body hasn't decided the nicotine is a bad thing after all this time.
  4. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

When a friend of mine beat his smoking addiction, he told that at times when he was around cigarette smoke, it made him nauseous and it usually forced him to find a smoke-free "zone." It's unlikely that someone who cigarette smoke affects thusly will ever smoke again.
  5. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I hear you! I haven't smoked for years now and the mere smell of cigarettes make me nauseous. I definitely think it means that I'm well past the addiction and that makes me so happy!
  6. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

It is so nice to know that you did not liked it anymore. I cannot stand the smell of it and never tried to start smoking it. Better to remain clean and never try it.
  7. GenevB

GenevB Community Champion

Well, a cigarette tasting horrible might be a sign that you just ate a lot of fruits, drank some milk or smoked too many. You can't simply say "I quit for good" and do it. You'll find it true in the next period, it's true you tasted the real taste of cigarettes, which is horrible, but also is pepper, coffee and hot chili, guess what, people still love them.
  8. Rosyrain

I still get cravings every once in a while, especially when I am stressed out. I get a little anxiety going and just have to calm myself down with some deep breathing. I quit last December.
  9. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Nice one! Congrats for successfully quitting! Cigarettes don't really taste good at all anyway, but a lot of people still consume them, just like alcohol. I think it's an acquired taste.
  10. Rosyrain

They really taste bad when you haven't smoked one in a long time and that helps the cravings to stop for me. I know that a lot of people will pick up the habit again if they smoke one, but I gagged and it was not a pleasant experience. Good luck to any of you who are trying to quit.
  11. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

I've also experienced this. My friends gave me lots of odd looks because of it, as I used to love cigarette taste/smell. But despite of them considering me another person, I felt joyful, because I changed into something better. It's nice to feel free again.
  12. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

Congratulations, I'm really pleased for you! I consider myself quit for good too although I have to say, I wouldn't dare try one again.

About three weeks in to quitting, I started to notice that other smokers absolutely STANK! Then it hit me that I had spent the last 20-odd years walking round smelling just like that...
  13. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

Congratulations! That's pretty good going. Smoking is one of the most difficult addictions to overcome. I also found the same - once I'd gone without for so long, when I did try smoking again it was disgusting! I don't know about you but I also started noticing the smell on other people a lot more and I found the smell repulsive too, even though it was on other people. It's not too nice for non-smokers to deal with when heavy smokers are hanging around them stinking of smoke. I never used to be able to appreciate that.
  14. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

Good to hear! I haven't touched cigarettes in a while but I'm sure I would hate the taste (frankly, I hated it when I was addicted as well). Good riddance!
  15. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

I don't think cigarettes have ever tasted good, one can tell from the smell. Most folks that try out cigarettes do so when they are young as they cave in to peer pressure. They put up with the bad taste just to appear "cool" in front of their friends. I'm glad that you quickly realized that smoking is not for you. You've just save yourself a ton of money from purchasing cigarettes on a daily basis and the negative effects to your health.
  16. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

The main reason people smoke is because of the addiction to nicotine rather than because they actually like the taste. If they weren't addicted then I doubt that anybody would smoke to be honest.

They've never been the most pleasant tasting things.
  17. amin021023

amin021023 Community Champion

Cigarettes sometimes taste horrible I don't know why but it happens from time to time to me, maybe it's because I changed my brand and am not used to the taste of it.
  18. moreno58

moreno58 Active Contributor

Well I think that is great that you were able to quit smoking. I am trying to quit too. I don't smoke as much as use too, but I still smoke. I am hoping to eventually quit all together too.
  19. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Congratulations! I wish the same for everyone - that they reach a point in their lives where a substance that got them hooked once could no longer affect them like before. When you've broken the habit, you leave it for good.
  20. sbatz72

sbatz72 Active Contributor

Knowing I am an addict and the rules and regulations that come with being an addict, I know I could never face the taste of a cigarette again. I would not attempt this, of course, until one of those moments when I would need one, because my addiction has said so. Other than that I really do not think about it too much.