An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

When did heroin get popular?

Discussion in 'Heroin' started by Nancy D., Apr 12, 2016.

1. Nancy D.

Nancy D. Senior Contributor

I have noticed within my community that there a-lot of people who are getting addicted to heroin. I never even realized that heroin was that popular. These days I suspected that it was all about prescription drugs and mixing drugs to make other drugs. I can honestly say I did not know that this was still a popular drug. Does anyone have any thoughts on this subject. Also by the way I also know of a family member who was recently caught selling this substance.
  2. LoveEcho

LoveEcho Community Champion

Well... Heroin never quit being popular. Heroin was once use as an over-the-counter medical treatment and is actually still prescribed, although you're never going to why a prescription for heroin... It'll be diamorphine, but, that's heroin... It's the exact same thing.

Heroin is still and will always be popular as a pain killer and as a way to get really, really high.
  3. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

Heroin is popular because so many people are getting hooked on RX pain meds. When they can no longer get the pills legally, they try to buy them illegally and find that the cost is outrageous. So they turn to a cheaper alternative with a similar high: Heroin.
    Mara likes this.
  4. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Heroin seems to be a drug that waxes and wanes in popularity. There seems to be times when you don't hear much about it and then it makes a big impact and kills a number of people in various communities and it is back on everybody's radar. It seems to be an epidemic in certain parts of the country, and other areas don't seem to have as much of a problem with it. They may have more problems with meth or prescription drug abuse.
  5. sillylucy

sillylucy Community Champion

that is what I thought! I herd from a friend who is working in a recovery center and he said that a lot of college aged students in his rehab program are now addicted to heroin and it is on the rise. They first all start with Vicodin and then they move onto heroin when they can't get their prescription filled anymore.
  6. puneeth8994

puneeth8994 Active Contributor

When was heroin not popular, it was always a popular choice, just that the other drugs masked it's usage briefly.
  7. Mara

Mara Community Champion

It has always been popular. I've been hearing about heroin since I was a kid. And now that I'm an adult, it would seem that it's still in circulation. Even if there are reports of deaths because of heroin, people still use it and get hooked on it.