An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

When did Marijuana scare you?

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by bourge_21, Dec 19, 2014.

1. bourge_21

bourge_21 Senior Contributor

I had a cousin who, way back 7 years ago, committed suicide due to marijuana overdose. By suicide, I meant 'literally', he hung himself by wrapping a string cord around the rim of a cabinet about 6 feet high. He was around 5'8". The next day, somebody found him dead.
  2. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I'm confused. I never heard of anyone overdosing on marijuana before and I'm not sure why you think it's related to why he hung himself. I don't think anyone would decide to hang themselves just from smoking marijuana, but I'm sorry to hear about your cousin.
  3. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I've never heard of anyone over dosing on Marujuana. I would think they would pass out first or get too lazy to do so. How was his mental state without the Marijuana in his system. There is information here that needs to be shown if we are to presume that Marijuana is the underlying cause.
  4. bourge_21

I apologize for the use of the word "overdose". However, funny as it might seem, he did die. He must be very depressed that time.
  5. Kamarsun1

Kamarsun1 Active Contributor

I don't get that one either, but I will say that the weed of today is not the same as it once was. A lot of this new stuff is made in a lab and it's no telling what is being mixed into the plant. It'a a lot of GMO weed out there and that is scary if you ask me.
  6. rga1999

rga1999 Member

The first time Marijuana scared me was when I tried it for the first time and had my heart rapidly beating out of my chest. I went into with the expectation that I would not feel the affects of smoking on my 1st try. I guess I shouldn't have listened to my friends. I guess you could say I was scared straight.
  7. bourge_21

I heard good things about marijuana though. One of my brainy friends tells me he uses marijuana whenever he studies or thinks of ideas that he naturally cannot think of when not under the influence of the weed. He says it stimulates his creative thinking.
  8. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

I don't think that it is physically possible to overdose on marijuana, however, it is a very dangerous substance because it can affect you psychologically. Your cousin was probably extremely depressed and the marijuana was a paramount figure in their sadness. I'm sorry for your loss.
  9. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

I got "scared" of marijuana when my neighbor killed his girlfriend more than thirty years ago. I was a very young child and I had heard that my neighbor was smoking something called 'herb" as it was referred to back then. Herb or dope were the familiar words. It was believed that when he smoked this stuff, he would sometimes get angry and out of control. Prior to this, I knew him as one of the quietest and coolest guys.

Whatever happened in that house that day I will never know for sure. All I can tell you is that from that time forward, I have always felt that marijuana can cause good people to do some bad things.

Often when I relate this story, many have said his actions had nothing to do with the marijuana. Thirty plus years later and I am still not convinced.

Marijuana doesn't "scare" me anymore but it still leaves me with many unanswered questions.
    bourge_21 likes this.
  10. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I also believe that marijuana can cause behavior challenge like making one become violent or hallucinate. It is also stated on some studies that addiction to marijuana can affect the mind and overall health. It is scary to sometimes hear a news that a marijuana addict raped or murdered and admitted that they done that because they are high.
  11. bourge_21

I have the same thoughts as yours. This marijuana thing, or issue, is a serious one. At the same time, it makes people confused as to whether it is really evil or good.
  12. bourge_21

Right. However, many people, especially adolescents still use marijuana. There is no stopping the curious young to experience its effects. It's really advisable that the family play a role on this.
  13. Winterybella

This is so true but the argument from most who use it is that far from making you violent, it acts as a sedative. Believe me when I tell you I have seen a completely different affect. I know a different story and I am speaking from personal experience outside of the case I mentioned earlier.

Marijuana messes with your mind and not always in a positive way as many purport. I found this article while reading on the subject.

http://ncpic.org.au/professionals/publications/factsheets/cannabis-and-aggression/
  14. Winterybella

I have heard this logic as well. As recent as last week two customers got to talking about weed and their use. Both spoke of being taken to a new level of thinking. One stated that things come to him that he would never otherwise experience and positively impact on his creative juices. Often they leave me speechless as there is nothing I can contribute to the conversation to affect their thinking.

People who don't listen or know all on a subject can also be a scary thing
  15. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I think that is very much true especially on those cities or countries that made marijuana legal. If in those countries where marijuana is illegal, there are still users including children/adolescents, more in places where it is legal.
  16. bourge_21

So has it been scientifically validated that marijuana go with elevations of thoughts? Or that possibly it utilizes a percentage of our brain's unused capacity? Maybe this issue is the reason why people who take the weed and are not able to control its effects become endangered.
  17. Rob93FL

Rob93FL Senior Contributor

Cannabis labs produce cannabis specifically for medical dispensaries. They aren't going to mix harmful things into the plant; they simply grow the plants in a way that produces the right cannabinoid ratios for specific illnesses. There is nothing scary about laboratory-grade cannabis. It is much safer than home-grown, black market cannabis.
  18. petesede

petesede Active Contributor

Agree with this. I just call it the lazy-effect. Pot makes you more passive and less likely to fight through adversity in your life. The pot doesn´t make you commit suicide, but the fact that you never put in effort to improve your life or fix problems can lead to depression.
  19. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I'm really sorry if you think I am out of order by saying this but there is no way that marijuana could have been directly responsible for your cousin's death. He was clearly severely depressed in the first place and smoking marijuana wouldn't have helped him to pull himself out of it. I am sorry for your loss though and I hope your cousin found peace.
  20. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

I am really sorry to hear about the loss of your cousin. I can imagine that the influence of marijuana might have made him feel less inhibited about what he was going to do. Please excuse me for this, but I can't imagine how a person can "overdose" on marijuana. Sometimes, when marijuana is laced with other substances such as opium or daytura, a person can go on a very strange journey of no return. But that's all a speculation in your cousin's case.
    All I want to say is that he may rest in peace.