An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

When did Marijuana scare you?

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by bourge_21, Dec 19, 2014.

1. juliaintheclouds

juliaintheclouds Active Contributor

I'm very sorry to hear about your cousin, that's horrible. Though it is impossible to overdose on pot some people can become psychotic from it. It is quite rare but it does happen occasionally. Normally the person has some pre-existing mental illness for this to happen.
  2. Rob93FL

Rob93FL Senior Contributor

I have never once heard of people lacing marijuana with datura. I see no reason why people would even do that.
  3. juliaintheclouds

juliaintheclouds Active Contributor

I've heard of marijuana being laced with PCP and other things but I've never even heard of datura. It sounds vaguely familiar but I thought it was a fruit?
  4. Rob93FL

Rob93FL Senior Contributor

While the datura plant does create fruits, they, as well as most other parts of the plant, contain delirients that can cause intense and realistic hallucinations. The delirient effects are caused by scopolamine, atropine, and hyoscyamine.
  5. Rub

Rub Member

It is important to find out if he smoked marijuana just to take courage for hanging himself? I don't think he would be alive if he didn't smoke weed. It doesn't influence on one's behaviour so much.
  6. morgoodie

morgoodie Senior Contributor

I am sorry that you lost your cousin in this manner and it must have been really hard on you and your family. I am sure that your cousin must have been in a very bad place mentally to do this to himself. He must have been suffering more than anyone will ever know. Marijuana could have contributed to his depression and feelings that caused him to want to take his own life. For people who are inclined to depression, marijuana can be a major factor in making it worse for them.
  7. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Marijuana can push certain vulnerable people into a deep depression, but it all depends on the person's mental health state prior to start consuming it. Marijuana can be harmless to some, but to others not at all. I'm glad marijuana never did a thing to me. I never gt high from it, it was always just meh.
  8. Scooby Snack

Scooby Snack Community Champion

I had a pretty scary anxiety attack last summer when I smoked. It hit me out of nowhere, and I passed out briefly and got taken to the hospital. I'd never experienced those type of effects before, even though I had been smoking pretty regularly for quite some time. I was pretty shaken from the experience.
  9. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Committing suicide after smoking marijuana isn't that uncommon. Back in 2003 one of my neighbors adult child who still lived with the parents from time to time smoked marijuana and each time he did, he always tried to commit suicide. There's this one day he jumped off a building. That's the day I learned to "fear" marijuana.

You guys could also read this:

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/teens-who-...even-times-more-likely-commit-suicide-1464983
    Teenagers who start smoking cannabis daily before the age of 17 are seven times more likely to commit suicide, a study has found.

The findings showed a link between a considerable use of cannabis and a high risk of suicide as well as poor educational outcomes.
  10. Jose

Jose Active Contributor

The only time marijuana really scared me was when I first smoked, not even a week had past and I realized I was completely hooked. Not a minute would pass without me thinking of marijuana, It was comparable to being in love with the girl of my dreams, absolutely mind blowing.
    I love marijuana but try to stay away from it as much as posible. I just wish I had never tried it in first place. Ever since then I've had a hard time setting my mind to living in this society, pursuing a University career and wealthiness, knowing I don't need anything but the woman I love and Maryjane. Im not an addict thought but sometimes scares me the fact that I might wanna be one.
  11. ejorman1010

ejorman1010 Senior Contributor

Marijuana only scared me because of all the propaganda. There weren't a lot of pot users where I lived, so I never really understood its effects except for what adults told me. They would tell me it will ruin your life and all that stuff.
  12. rz3300@

rz3300@ Senior Contributor

Well I cannot that marijuana has ever scared me, but I have seen some cases where it has had some very negative effects on people's lives and it has always made me shy away from having it be a major part of my life. I have smoked then and again throughout my life, but I think that overuse really leads to laziness and a lack of motivation, which are two things that I cannot afford to lose.
  13. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

Marijuana never scared me, neither did potheads. When I was young I heard a story of two (young) girls and a boy passing out after their first use, but I wasn't "frightened" by it. I am not afraid of drugs in general, I just rather not consume them.
  14. ZXD22

ZXD22 Senior Contributor

Omg that is scary! I wouldn't bear to see anyone hanged in real life, it would just be a very ominous and traumatizing scene for me. Marijuana scares me as I remember seeing a skirmish over some in a small neighborhood. As we were driving away, we heard some gunshots and that was the scariest moment of my life.