An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

When did you decide enough was enough?

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by Nonn, May 8, 2015.

1. Nonn

Nonn Member

For me, it was the loss of relationships that really made me question my abuse. I realized that we are social animals, and this is key to being healthy (at least in my experience, I can't speak for everyone else).
  2. AFKATafcar

AFKATafcar Community Champion

You're not alone in that being the turning point, the moment that you said enough was enough. For others, it's the point at which they can no longer control themselves, and others hit rock bottom in a financial sense before turning things around. I'd say it's slightly different for each person, though a loss of relationships is probably a fairly common reason.
  3. Charli

Charli Community Champion

My friend who was addicted had a turning point when he went to jail for a second time. The first time was already heartbreaking enough for both his family and friends but I guess it wasn't enough for him to wake up, so when the second time came around I'm glad it didn't become just a pattern and instead he got smart and got clean.
  4. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I think everybody will hit that stage in their life. Something will happen and you'll take a look at yourself and see that you'll need to change.

Knowing you have to change and actually doing it though can be two different things.
  5. 6up

6up Community Champion

When my projects came to a halt. I found out that I could not attend to simple duties. That affected my life which made me to think twice.
  6. oraclemay

oraclemay Community Champion

I was unhappy and empty and I wanted more out of life. I knew that I had a problem and that if I did not stop I would most likely die. There comes a time and an opportunity for change in all our lives. There comes a time where we can no longer blame our behavior on others and we have to take responsibility. That is when we make the change.
  7. MrsJones

MrsJones Community Listener Community Listener

I have to say being a non user that having had enough isn't really a fair choice when there is a commited relationship involved. You're either hanging in there til the end or leaving out the door. That's a reality check that hit me. Thankfully I can say that God gave me the strength to hang in there until my husband had enough.
  8. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

I would add to this another fact; sometimes substance abuse began the same way. People wanting to belong to a social group has to do what this group does, including drinking in excess, use recreational drugs, and so on.

Doing what others do may open the door to be accepted into the group and fulfill the need to socialize. Ironic is when society turns their back to people who have fallen in addictions.

To me enough was enough when I was near to death a day in which I exceeded my already excessive drinking behavior.

Call it God, call it a miracle, whatever it was, if I survived the moment had to be for a second chance to recover and live so here I am.
  9. trevermorgana

trevermorgana Active Contributor

Your body just sort of tells you when it is taking too much punishment. I just sort of jolted myself into clarity about certain things. It was an odd moment. Hard to explain.