An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

When Did You Realize You Had a Problem?

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by blur92, Jan 18, 2015.

1. blur92

blur92 Senior Contributor

Acknowledging an addiction is the initial step to overcoming it. It is a necessary and pivotal point to the addict. When someone does not want to get better, denying they have a problem in favor of abusing their choice of substance, then recovery is slim. Addressing the problem is a major accomplishment and offers much hope. At what point of your life did you decide you want to get better? For me it was my freshmen year at college after switching majors. I was originally in school for graphic design. Now, I study psychology.
  2. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

I knew I had an a problem when I realized that addiction was affecting my life negatively. All that ever revolved around my mind was "when do I get my fix." I couldn't keep my mind on anything other than the addiction. Upon seeing what this would cost me unless I dropped the addiction, I had to make a choice — Overcome the addiction so I could regain control of my life.
    blur92 likes this.
  3. angelicagapit

angelicagapit Active Contributor

Sometimes I think I have a problem, but when I read symptoms of that certain problem, then I realize I've never had it in the first place. I guess I never had a strong case of a certain problem, I was just leading up to it.

Good thing I never exactly reached a point of dark depression in my life. I've been slightly depressed, but I haven't suffered depression. It's just sad to know that there are actually people in the world today that don't know they have a problem. To be oblivious of what's going on around you is actually one of the worst things.
    blur92 likes this.
  4. Tournique

Tournique Senior Contributor

When I was on the brink of depression. That's when I decided to turn my life around, so far so good. Let's just say no journey is easy and is even harder if you are lonely.
  5. oraclemay

oraclemay Community Champion

When I was quite young and single. I would go out and party and drink until I could not remember how I got home or who brought me! I knew I had a serious drinking problem because I could not take a drink without getting drunk.
  6. blur92

That's great these problems were caught in the beginning stages for some of you. You were able to get things on track before causing anymore damage to yourselves. Sometimes people don't care and think the way their heading isn't as bad as what others say. I was one of them.

Rainman, I'm happy you decided to make the decision to get better. That can be difficult to do. I wish you the best of luck!
  7. Twinsmommy31

Twinsmommy31 Active Contributor

I want to commend you all for realizing that you do have a problem and glad you all found the strength to admit it. I am not here for me. The addict in my family is my father. I knew there was a problem when I seen the open wine bottles in the car door. He has yet to acknowledge he has a problem. I seen these bottles at age 15 and I am now 34. I still see the open bottles.
    blur92 likes this.
  8. bluzkluz09

bluzkluz09 Active Contributor

I agree admitting you have a problem is the first step to recovery. It's easy to say you can stop at any time. The real test comes when you find yourself not being able to stop. When friends and family members say they think you have a problem and you try to convince them and yourself that everything is okay. It is very difficult to admit that there is something wrong. Without that first step you'll be far from recovery. We can't fix everything on our own we need at least one person to take the care to help us. Without support of at least one person we can easily relapse. I'm happy to find support here on this forum as well.
    blur92 likes this.
  9. blur92

I wish you and your father luck. I really hope he eventually acknowledges he has a problem and recovers one day.

I'm happy you find support here :) I'm glad to have found this forum. It seems like there are a lot of genuine, understanding individuals on here. Support is super important. Sometimes a huge part of the problem is the feeling of loneliness.