An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

When did you start?

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by LaraLara, Jul 1, 2015.

1. LaraLara

LaraLara Member

I smoked my first joint when I was 12 years old, a young girl in my boyfriends shed/outdoor bedroom. It was some really strong stuff that gave me the driest mouth ever. From that day I smoked weed until I was 22, when I stopped due to having hypersensitivity, depression, suicidal tendencies, extreme anxiety etc.

I used to smoke to feel cool, then I would smoke just to feel normal.

What's your story, who gave you your first joint, did your parents let you smoke, what country were you in etc?
    My mum had no choice but to let me smoke, and s**t I learned my lesson, but I do wish she'd had some support to beat some sense into me.
  2. vincelucker

vincelucker Member

Started when i was 14 due to peer pressure. Yeah it made me feel cool, but then the depression started and i had to stop smoking and thank God i had some friends who helped me out of it. Bad company will make you do silly things.
  3. CrowdedHighways

CrowdedHighways Active Contributor

I was actually relatively old(at least compared to the replies in this thread), I was 17 when I started, so I did not develop as much of an addiction as I probably would have if I had started earlier. However, I did not like the person I became when I was using marijuana, so I quit before a drug test for a important job.
  4. henry

henry Community Champion

I also started young. I can't remember the exact age, but I do know I was a kid. I never got addicted to weed. I loved smoking it, but I never went bonkers just because I couldn't get any. That doesn't mean it's not addictive, though. I had friends that couldn't spend a single day without smoking.
  5. AAngelo

AAngelo Senior Contributor

I started at 17 in a University here in the Philippines. I was hanging out with a few of my friends. I was more of a drinker so I was not really into the pot culture in the college. One day, one of them just gave me a lighter and a pipe made from a rolled up piece of foil from a cigarette pack. I just thought "sure, why not?" and took a hit. Sure enough, the foil caught a flame because I wasn't holding it right. Luckily, nobody in the area really cared if we smoked because it was a normal thing.
  6. rightct

rightct Community Champion

Oh, wow! 12 years old is definitely way too low than the statistics. Most get into this drug when they reach high school, but 12 years old... pfft.

As to what concerns me, I'm currently not smoking it anymore. Though that feeling strucks me at times, I can get past it without too much hassle. I know it's for my own good to not touch that thing anymore.
  7. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I smoked my first joint when I was 13 years old. I didn't like it that much at first, but later I started liking it more. I had no asthma symptoms back then, they started back when I was 23 or 24, so smoking weed was no longer an option. Not like I smoked often, but this was something I liked to do with my friends.
  8. ZXD22

ZXD22 Senior Contributor

I started back when I was 16 only twice though. I didn't really like the feeling or the smell of it so I stopped.
  9. cotyb

cotyb Member

I started when I was 13. My cousin gave my friend and I some. It was only about a half a joint. We smoked at like 4pm and was in the clouds untile almost 2am. To most the other people my age smoking ciggs and weed made you cool. That was the start of a 17yr addiction that I sincerely regret. If not for smoking weed almost every day all day or as much as possible I'm sure I'd be a totally different person with a totally different life right now
  10. SunnyArc

SunnyArc Member

I started smoking when I was 15 a few months before my 16th birthday and continued to smoke until just after I turned 20 after realizing what it was doing to me which was making me feel very lazy and feeling terrible in general. I don't smoke at all anymore as I find it too easy to keep on going and then waste all of my money and feel bad again
  11. Shimus

Shimus Community Champion

I think I was a late bloomer. Until the senior grade in school (12th) (maybe 17 or 18 years old?) I was in Stand Tall in D.A.R.E (the anti drug programs in my school) - when I realized I was graduating with little to no issue, I started taking my senior year lightly and I finally tried it. Some times, I'd get so baked back then I'd forget or playact I was sick to stop from going in to school so I could laze around and smoke more. It was such a money drain that I felt like I was working my minimum wage no thanks job just so I could turn around and get blazed half the time, so I could enjoy school more and focus less on the jobs I'd be in.
  12. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I also started smoking marijuana from quite a young age, I think I was probably about 12 or 13 when I had my first joint. I wasn't a regular smoker, just every now and again, usually at the weekend.

When I was about 16 is when I started smoking it on a regular, daily basis and that continued till I was in my late twenty's, that's when I decided that I was wasting too much time and money.
  13. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I was about 15 years old and my friends and I were hanging out at the beach. My cousin had started smoking pot and I didn't know he brought some down to the beach with us. He came around the beach table and was using a can to smoke it. I was kind of apprehensive at first, but I tried it. We all did. In a matter of minutes we all were stoned and laughing hysterically. Then came the munchies.
  14. 6up

6up Community Champion

I smoked marijuana for the first time when I was 10 years old. I got the left over joint on the table and smoked it. I remember to have slept immediately after smoking. I was uncomfortable that I felt to cry! I felt like my bed was moving round and round for sometime! I never ate supper on that day, I slept while hungry.
  15. Emerson_B

Emerson_B Active Contributor

I first smoked pot when I was 13. I had two joints given to me by a friend and was not even thinking about using them. When I was left alone in the house, I got curious so I lit em up. At first I thought, whats the big deal, it has no effect on me. After 20 minutes though the munchies hit me and I ate almost a whole loaf of bread and a liter of soda.
  16. Zimbitt

Zimbitt Senior Contributor

It was at this random beach party when I was about 16 or 17, I'm friends with a **** ton of native's and they were all huddled around smoking from some random pipe. I was basically the only one not taking a hit and I was pretty freaking wasted that night so they just pressured me into doing it (I had been planning on trying it for awhile however) so I think I took like a hit or two. I don't really know if it did anything since I was so drunk but I did end up getting my first kiss that night so that was nice!
  17. Shimus

Heh, interesting experience Zim.

It's obvious that I was a the odd man out, being such a high-aged user (17-18) for the first time. But had I smoked it in my teenage years, I fear I would have been in even a bigger hole then I currently am. I loved it when I smoked it, so I could only imagine back around 10-15 if I smoked it. I'd be after it my entire childhood. Instead, I secluded myself inside and addicted myself to videogames (another LEGIT addiction regardless of what people say - it's dangerous just like crack or heroin, has the ability to ruin lives all the same). I could have easily seen this becoming a dual-addiction.
  18. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I smoked my first joint with my older brother when I was 13. I enjoyed it and still occasionally use weed to this day. It was never a problem for me at all. I had issues with other substances instead.
    Shimus likes this.
  19. Shimus

This is my problem (I went into Pills, myself - clean five years now!), and I'm sure a bunch of different people had it/have it/struggle with it daily.

But I still don't believe in gateway drugs; that's just your personality reaching out for a bigger and better high. People in these situations always get the glare because of this "Gateway Drug" terminology. If you were going to use, you were going to use. It wasn't due to something else. Or the fact you even tried from a young age.

Weed itself never was a bad habit for me until I was 25ish. I spent all my minimum wage paychecks paying for it, enjoying it, and sharing it - so the other people would front the bills and food costs. I realize it was stupid; childish; I should have saved. But I didn't. And I landed in a bad hole where I was basically just working to pay my habit.
  20. btalivny

btalivny Active Contributor

I started when I was 15. We were in LA and my friend gave me a joint and asked if i wanted a hit. I said yes and that was the moment i knew that i needed to continue smoking on a recreational basis. After doing research and finding that it was not nearly as bad as the media portrayed it, i began smoking more regularly.