An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

When do you know you are addicted

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by lissetetiff, Jun 7, 2015.

1. lissetetiff

lissetetiff Member

Most of the time, we get drunk on the notion that we are having fun.
    In my opinion, it is okay to have fun with friends but when you find yourself in the club, drinking alone, then you have become addicted.
    What other ways can you tell that it is no longer 'just having fun'?
  2. kjonesm1

kjonesm1 Community Champion

I smoked weed everyday multiple times a day and never thought I was addicted. Even now that I am completely drug and mostly alcohol free, I look back and still don't see myself as an addict. I quit cold turkey on a whim and haven't really thought twice about it. I think addiction is a line crossed when a drug or habit interferes with your work, your health, your relationships and everyday life. An addiction is something very hard to let go and it consumes your waking hours and thoughts.
    Rosyrain likes this.
  3. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I think it can be when you see that you are spending more money on alcohol and not on the things that are needed like food, paying the bill and a person needs to learn that they have a problem when this happens. When relationships are affected than, they can be hard to fix and sometimes it can be ruined by the addiction a person has and also this can be a warning that your personal life is in trouble and needs to be sorted out. It can also happen, when a person just thinks about the addiction that is taking their time and energy which a person may not see and may learn the hard way when things are starting to not go right and need to try and sort out the issues before that stage.
  4. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I think that if you have to ask the question if your addicted, or if you have a problem, then you probably do. A lot of the time people will bury their head in the sand and try and not think about it, but the first step to fighting a habit is admitting there's a problem in the first place.
  5. henry

henry Community Champion

You know you're really addicted to something when you wake up in the morning and the first thing that pops in your head is doing whatever you're into. Some people get up in the morning and the first thing they do is light a joint or have a drink. That's when you realize you're really messed up.
  6. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

It's easy to tell when you are addicted to something. You have this desire to use a substance even when you know that it will harm you/your body but though you know it, you go ahead and use it anyway. Once you lose control over anything which you once thought you had control over then that's proof enough that you are an addict.
  7. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I think you become addicted when you need the alcohol. There is a difference between wanting a drink every now and then to relax and needing one. If you come home every night and have to get drunk or drink a little to deal with life, that is when you have a problem that must be dealt with.
  8. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

When you drink just because you crave alcohol, not because you feel like enjoying a glass of whiskey/whatever. I think that when that happens then you're probably in dire need of help before it gets even worse.
  9. kylekur22

kylekur22 Member

You know you are addicted when you feel like you need it to have fun, and when you are drinking alone or at home by yourself. That's when I knew I had a problem. I felt like I needed it in order to have fun or it would be a bad day. It was rough, and extremely depressing when I realized what I was doing to my mind and body.
  10. rainbowguard

rainbowguard Senior Contributor

I think the difference between people who want to have fun and people who are addicted to alcohol is what would happen if they stop drinking those alcoholic drinks. Addicts should display negative withdrawals effects and even cannot function normally if they stop drinking. An addiction is not just a mental thing but also a physical response. That is why I think people who drink moderately everyday because they cannot restrain themselves are more aaddicted that people drink alcohol occasionally even if they drink a lot during that time.
  11. 6up

6up Community Champion

When you cannot control yourself then you've become an addict. If you used to take alcohol in the evening and nowadays you taking it the morning, then there must be something wrong. If you persistent to taking alcohol without first eating then consider yourself being an addict. If you spend all the money you had on alcohol then that becomes the worst thing.
  12. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

I wouldn't call drinking alone being addicted. If someone drinks once a month, but does it by themselves, that's not even close to being addicted. Introverts and shy people should be able to drink too, you know.

If you get withdrawal symptoms when you don't use a certain drug, you're addicted. That goes for any drug, so the same would be true for alcohol.
  13. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

When you stop laughing and you start getting depressed and violent. That seems to be the most easiest way to spot a person who has a problem. When it no longer is fun, and it becomes a manifestation of your problems and issues, time to get some help.
  14. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I think the drinking alone part only applies if you are drinking a lot, or getting drunk by yourself. I sometimes have a glass of wine when I am alone to relax and get a small buzz and I do not consider myself an alcoholic.
  15. juulicob

juulicob Member

When you become dependent on alcohol. When you no longer have any sense of control over your alcohol intake. When you find that you're grabbing a glass of whiskey to accompany your breakfast... and your lunch... and your dinner... I understand obtaining that relaxed buzzed feeling ever so often, but once it becomes a mindless habit, I would say it's becoming dangerous.

Drinking can be so natural to someone - especially those with addictive personalities. You may not realize if you're overdoing it. I think it comes down to the withdrawal; if you can't handle living each day without alcohol in your system then that may be a sign.