An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

When does the addiction take over?

Discussion in 'Methamphetamine / Meth' started by Tayla1993, Feb 1, 2016.

1. Tayla1993

Tayla1993 Member

A close friend of mine has been using meth on and off for a few years now. As far as i know he binges half the week and then basically sleeps the other half. He still has the same morals and seems like the same person apart from the obvious physical effects of sleeping all the time, low moods when he is coming down and he has lost a fair bit of weight. He assures me he is fine and he hasn't changed on the inside but i am terrified things can only get worse and he will lose himself to this drug. He says he will slow down but what is the reality of this if he is surrounding himself with people who are in similar positions? This guy is the best guy in the world can anyone give me ideas on how to help him, when he doesn't really think he needs help?
    Thank you.
  2. Mara

Mara Community Champion

No. He is not fine. He absolutely needs help for him to be able to stop using. Have you tried asking him to go on a rehab or to go counselling? Right now, he might look okay but if he doesn't stop, he will definitely spiral down that path. The long term effects of meth are irreversible. Talk to him, convince him that he needs to break the habit. He will just destroy his life if he continues using meth.
    Momma9 likes this.
  3. Momma9

Momma9 Community Champion

I agree with Mara! Meth is very bad physically and mentally on the user. It messes with their mind. They think they know things and are wise, but it is really the meth lying to them. It will destroy his health too. I hope he wakes up and cleans up his life.
    Mara likes this.
  4. yaitsjonny

yaitsjonny Member

You need to convince your friend to stop immediately. Meth tends to cloud your own rational thinking, so that when a person thinks everything is going well, everything may be falling apart around them. The high he gets from meth is just simply too much for him to quit using for good. Besides being a drain on his own physical and mental health, it also appears to be affecting his friends and family negatively as well. The addiction to meth can begin almost as soon as you use it for the first time.
  5. SashaS

SashaS Community Champion

He is obviously not fine, any addict will say they're fine, even when they themselves know they aren't fine. If he is using half the week then sleeping the rest, when is he working? When is he cleaning the house, paying taxes, cooking and doing normal life things? He probably does acknowledge this, but what he might be oblivious to is what his life will become. This is where you can come in and help him with that. Just let him know of the effects meth will have on his life and the lives of those around him that everyone on this thread mentioned and if you are concerned, take some sort of action such as sending him to a rehabilitation clinic.
  6. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

In my experience, Meth is highly addictive, and when it has a hold on you, it will be almost impossible to get off of it without some kind of second party help. I hear it all the time, users say that will stop or ween off, but that's not how it goes majority of the time. It is a serious addiction and the transformations are staggering.
  7. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Wow, I'm guessing he doesn't go to work? How can he even function? Can he? And if he actually no longer functions well in society, how come he doesn't see this as a problem? It's clear he has an issue, and if he can't see it, odds are nothing you say will make him see it. Sadly :( All you can do is just hope for the best, sadly this is how it is when you love an addict.
  8. Jack Wallace

Jack Wallace Senior Contributor

Tо bеgin with, yоu’ll nееd tо undеrstаnd thаt thеrе’s nо fixеd rесоvеry timеlinе thаt’s univеrsаl. Dеpеnding оn hоw lоng yоu usеd, hоw muсh, yоur sеx, yоur аgе, аnd оthеr hеаlth fасtоrs, yоu will еxpеriеnсе quitting аt а “pасе” uniquеly yоur оwn. Whеn it соmеs tо timing, аnd whаt yоu’ll еxpеriеnсе whеn, it’s аll vаriаblе.
  9. Okaviator

Okaviator Senior Contributor

Meth is a very addictive drug, it will only keep a person high if they increase does. Eventually your friend will kill himself because of an overdose. Please get him help!
  10. puneeth8994

puneeth8994 Active Contributor

Meth is a really really really addictive drug. No one can use it in moderation and say they're fine. the person needs help.