An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

When Is It Too Late?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by Rainman, Nov 5, 2015.

1. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Do you think there's a line which when crossed someone never will be able to beat their addictions even if they tried?

I don't think such a line exists. My grandfather [who's been dead for years now] used to drink a lot and he never thought he'd stop drinking. But that's until his wife was diagnosed with a terminal illness and he had to by her side most of the time. He couldn't drink and take care of her anymore. He had to choose between her and his liquor. He chose her.

That proves that as long anyone has a good enough incentive to fight an addiction they too can beat their addictions.

The secret? Find something that really matters to you. Something you can't afford to lose and use it as your weapon . . .
    JonnyMacdonald and crc3thebest like this.
  2. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I also don't think it's ever too late to change, but that will only happen if you really want it to.

My grandfather was a big drinker and smoker all his life. He served in the 2nd world war and stayed in the military till retirement age, and all through that he was drinking and smoking, in them days it was the done thing and nobody knew any better.

He first went to his doctor when he was 83, and his doctor said (completely unrelated for what he went for),you should think about stopping the alcohol and cigarettes as well.

I have no doubt that if he wanted to be could have stopped, but he replied..."I'm 83 years old, worked for and served this country all my life, smoke and drank all the way through it with no health related issues for 50 years. I enjoy it, at 83 it's my only two things I still do that I can call my own, so I'm not going to spend the last year's I've got on this earth suffering because I want a drink and a cigarette and not be allowed to have one"...And I see his point.

On a side note, he lived till he was 97 and was enjoying a beer and a cigarette right up until the day he died. It wasn't too late for him to quit either habit, he simply didn't want to.
    Jasmine2015 and Rainman like this.
  3. L_B

L_B Community Champion

As long as you are living then it is never to late to change your life. You have to believe that you can and never give up hope that there are better days ahead. I think anybody can change with the right medical help and the support of their family and friends no matter how long they have been an addict.
  4. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

Of course it's never too late to change. If you actually want to, for yourself, then it's perfectly possible however long you've been using. It's just finding that one reason to quit and when life seems hopeless as it is, that reason is often difficult to find.
    JonnyMacdonald likes this.
  5. Tallyho

Tallyho Active Contributor

I definitely agree with what the others have said. Cliche as it might sound, it really is never too late to make a choice to be good to yourself. It can be incredibly difficult the later that choice comes, but it's always available, no matter what.
  6. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

It's never too late to change your life, as dire as your situation may be. It really comes down to making that important choice, something that too many addicts are terrified to make. Deep inside, they are not really confident that they can truly recover, that's why they don't pursue it further. But if they don't at least try, they will never know.
  7. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

Yes it's never too late! He probably figured since he was old, he didn't need to quit. I agree he didn't want to. But he could have at any age!
  8. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

May your grandfather rest in peace.

Basically, it's too late when you're already dead. If not, then you can do something to change it at any given moment, if you want to. It's all about willpower and believing in yourself. If you really desire to achieve something, then you will, if you work at it a little. People should start to realize that thoughts have a huge power which can make your life better and easier.
  9. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I also try to be positive about everything, and yes, nothing is too late for someone who really wants to change for the better. I believe there's no such thing as a hopeless case. If you will just set your whole heart and mind onto something, anything is possible for you.
  10. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

It's never too late to quit, I think it's actually easier to quit if you've been addicted for a longer time. You start to reflect on what is going wrong with you and how you can improve yourself as a person, inadvertently going over you addictions and starting to focus on getting rid of them.
  11. PLP Rob

PLP Rob Active Contributor

@Rainman what an amazing story. And so true. An addict cannot be forced by an outside influence to stop drinking. He or She must decide for himself/herself to stop. Sounds like your grandfather ran up against an inner force—his wife's mortality, well being—that catalysed the change for him. Good on him. He not only conquered the addiction, but found a better self, a self that cared more for someone else than himself and his addiction. What a beautiful story.
    Rainman likes this.
  12. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I absolutely think you can do it at any age. I'm sure it's harder as the years go on and an addiction has been a part of someone's life for a longer timeframe, but people also build their resolve to deal with things over time too. If the right conditions are in place to get on the road to recovery I believe it's something that anyone can accomplish.
  13. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

It's too late to change when you're dead. The dead can't do anything but you most certainly can when you're alive. Sometimes it's a matter of mind set. Rather than saying can you quit change it to how are going to go about this cbange? If others are convinced you can get over your addiction then you need to convince yourself and have as much faith and belief.
  14. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

I don't believe it's ever too late unless of course you die like Jasmine2015. As long as there is life, there is hope. Still I think it's important to use our time wisely as tomorrow is never promised.
  15. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Just like the saying, as long as you are alive, there will be hope. So anyone can still have chances in changing for the better or getting rid of the addiction. Right that finding the motivation like what or who matters to you the most can help a lot.
  16. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

It's never too late to stop, on the other hand there might come point were you have such severe scleroses of the liver that it could be life threatening. The most important thing is to stop before this point, if you do your liver will recover completely.
  17. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I believe this works well for so many reasons. Many harmful addictions cause people not to keep there priorities straight. When it comes to how it effects your health and relationships your left with no choice but to decide what's more important. I think once you realize that nothing is more important than what really matters in life, you will get the motivation you need to kick an addiction. Thumbs up on this one.
  18. crc3thebest

crc3thebest Community Champion

Great understanding of the power we have internally.
  19. henry

henry Community Champion

As long as there's a new day, there's hope for change. The trick is to really, really want that change. People usually keep putting things up for another day, like, "Ok, I promise I'll stop drinking starting next week." They will never quit with that type of attitude.
  20. crc3thebest

crc3thebest Community Champion

Thank you all for your support.