An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

When Is It Too Late?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by Rainman, Nov 5, 2015.

1. Thejamal

Thejamal Active Contributor

I think you hit it right on the head here. It's never to late for somebody to change if they can find just one thing in life they want to keep fighting for. It might take awhile for some people to find what exactly that one thing is, but I'd like to believe that it exists for everyone. For your grandpa, it was his wife being diagnosed with an illness and wanting to be strong for her.
    Rainman likes this.
  2. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Yes this is true. Find your why. If you find your why you will find the way. Your kids, your spouse, your dog, your mom, your whatever it is that makes you want to do better. Something good can come out of something bad. Shame it has to be that way sometimes. Some people don't realize how much another person means to you until something is wrong. This is when they need you the most.
  3. Nate5

Nate5 Active Contributor

It is never too late to change. I believe that all humans want to become a healthy being in every way possible: mentally, physically, and emotionally. Everyone has problems, but people unfortunately turn to alcohol for a solution, not realizing it's a very short-term and unhealthy cure. They want to get better, and they need all the help they can get from you.
  4. movingforward1

movingforward1 Active Contributor

I could never advocate the idea that there is a point where a person cannot recover from their addiction. I know, as a past addict and having family members that were addicts, that there can sometimes seem like there is a "point of no return". However, I have known alcoholics in AA that quit when they were in their 50s or 60s, and stayed clean for the rest of their lives. My grandmother was in her 70s when she quit smoking cigarettes cold turkey-- she went from a pack a day to nothing, and never picked up another tobacco product for over ten years until her death.

There is always hope. There is always a chance. No matter how mentally or physically addicted you might be, your life does not have to be like this forever.
  5. djolem

djolem Senior Contributor

I am a crazy optimist disguised with the 'I don't care' mask on my face. The truth is i really believe that never is too late. Not only for quitting drugs but also for life, love, friendship, etc.. Even when the world is pressing you so hard you cannot hold any more you have to realize it is just so simple. It is life and we were meant to make mistakes. If i had been thinking about stuff i did wrong my head would literally explode by the time i reached 22. Everything is just a part of a big game we call life. There are some things you cannot undo but basically it is all up to your decisions. The first step is to believe you can do it. The rest is much easier.
  6. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

When my bio dad had an accident totally related to the alcohol... a lot people thought he'd die, but he didn't. He actually survived it, despite the poor prognosis and guess what? He stopped drinking right away without almost making no effort, if there is one thing I admire of that man (not much to admire, really) is the fact he has such a strong will.
  7. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

Never Ever.
    You can always reclaim the life God has waiting for you!
    I think most of us here agree you can always turn a new leaf no matter what.