An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

When It's More Than Just Experimenting . . .

Discussion in 'Helping an Addicted Child' started by Rainman, Aug 12, 2015.

1. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

A young teen was out with a friend when a man approached them. They saw each other for a little while and they became "friends." Then the man started coaxing the kids to taste what he had. They did. Each time they met, he'd give them a taste of the drugs he used and it wasn't long before the kids were hooked. And THEN he started selling them the drugs. That's what he'd been after.

These things happen all the time. You could call it peer pressure at times but those pressuring their friends to try drugs hope that they'll earn for themselves free drugs once they've got new customers for the drug dealer(s).

Once you suspect that your kid has started using drugs don't dismiss it as a phase. It's but the first steps that will lead to addiction. Help them before they go further down that dark road.
    light likes this.
  2. singingintherain

singingintherain Community Champion

That sounds like excellent advice to me. Drug addiction is a devious beast that can start innocently enough in what many view as youthful experimentation. The reality is that those first steps can lead down a one-way street. It's not an easy subject to tackle with children but it is such an important one.

From my own experience I never felt 'peer pressure' as such, really all of the decisions I made were my own doing. The real challenge as a young person was to recognize the consequences of my actions. As an adolescent it is common to feel bullet-proof. I sincerely believed that bad things only happened to other people. As we grow we start to understand that is certainly not the case. Parental advice is instrumental in resetting children on the correct path.
    Rainman likes this.
  3. light

light Active Contributor

This is a situation that is going to repeat endlessly if parents don’t follow @Rainman’s advice. It’s called peer pressure and is a threat for every teen, specially nowadays. Understanding and preventing it, is the best parents can do. But once they suspect that their kid is using drugs, they should try to secretly verify their suspicion and then carefully take action. If parents interrupt the first steps of their children’s drug addiction, they are heroes that have given birth again to their kid!
    Rainman likes this.
  4. lalabee21

lalabee21 Active Contributor

I think that all teenagers are at risk of falling in a trap like this, but it’s our duty as parents to be there guiding them. I try to keep my daughter’s mind occupied in healthy activities. Since she was just a little girl I always signed her up in ballet, piano lessons and things like that. She’s not into ballet or piano anymore, but she plays tennis every other day. She goes out with her friends to the movies and does other things that are appropriate to her age, but I’m always there.

If we give them attention it will be harder for these unscrupulous people to hook them.