An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

When Temptation Calls

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by gracer, May 20, 2015.

1. gracer

gracer Community Champion

Many of us have been into situations where we are tempted, whether in drug/substance or life in general. Sometimes life gives us different trials in varying intensities to test our ability to resist temptation. More often than not, we are more tempted when we are at the lowest points in our lives. That's where the call to use drugs or substances arises. It hits us right in the moment that we feel so helpless and alone.

Have you ever been into such a situation where you had to really fight your urge? Have you ever had the feeling that a war is going on inside you? Were you able to win over your urges or not? What did you do during that moment of confusion?
  2. kana_marie

kana_marie Community Champion

Up until I got clean 3 years ago I never fought it. I always just gave into it. Living that kind of life can cause all sorts of problems. That's how I ended up drunk and high. Now I borrow other people's strength. It's not about what I should or shouldn't do. That never worked for me at all. Now it's about what if my husband or my kids saw me? I stay clean that way.
    gracer likes this.
  3. d4rk3n

d4rk3n Active Contributor

Whenever someone tries to fight an addiction, he will face challenges no matter what. No one gets all the right things fitted in all the right places.

When I was fighting against my drinking problem, I had this really strong urge to drink once or twice. It was due to peer pressure. It really got to me, but I avoided it thinking of my parents. Got depressed for a couple of weeks but inside, I was proud of myself and I knew I did the right thing.
    gracer likes this.
  4. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I am not having any problem with dealing with my urges now, because I have finally managed to do self-control. When situations turn out to be really tempting, I would just command myself not to fall for it and say "no," and it always works for me.
    gracer likes this.
  5. gracer

@kana_marie, @d4rk3n It's really amazing how the the love for family makes a person strive for the positive things in life. You guys are so lucky to have found a strong foundation in them. Kudos to you! :)

@dyanmarie25 You seem to have a strong control over yourself which is a great characteristic for someone who faces urges or temptations. Yours is a perfect example of self-discipline. Keep it up girl! :)
    d4rk3n likes this.
  6. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Fighting cravings never is easy. I've been fighting an addiction for a little while now and sometimes the cravings to get a "fix" were so strong that I couldn't resist them. I realized though that the moment I gave in to "temptations" it'd be back to full-blown usage for a week or two and I'd start fighting the addiction from zero once again.

Having fallen a few times, I realized what made the cravings that strong, made a list and try to avoid what might trigger the urge to . . . use the drug. I think this will help me fight the cravings.
    gracer likes this.
  7. Lackluster

Lackluster Active Contributor

I'm not good with temptation myself. If anything, it's better to avoid situations that tempt you entirely, but when you can't you just have to grin and bear it.

There's a story about Attar, of Nishapur, who put together a group of scholars and wise men to create him a ring that would make him happy when he was sad, and sad when he was happy. After great deliberation, they presented him a ring inscribed with the words "This too shall pass."

It's just something I think about. I can't lie about it, I've relapsed a few times, done things I wish I hadn't. All I can do is say "This too shall pass" and try to do better for when the next time comes.
    Winterybella and gracer like this.
  8. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Thinking about and enumerating all the possible consequences help me come to my senses. There were times I made excuses just so I could repeat a certain questionable action, but looking back on those times, I've realized how cowardly I was. If it's something that makes you guilty, you should resolve to quit before it totally consumes you. If you can't muster enough motivation, it doesn't hurt to request for divine providence or the help of friends. We can't keep on fighting battles single-handedly.
  9. Lackluster

I can say first hand that logical thought processes aren't something most addicts have an abundance of. It's not that we don't know it's bad, that we shouldn't, that everything is going to go to hell again, but the call still hits us. It's hard to overcome it, or there just wouldn't be as many addicts out there.

It's when the repercussions outweigh the temporary joy enough.
  10. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I never got addicted to anything but there are times that I got curious and thinking of tasting. But I will think twice or more and convince myself that it will not do any good so why try. Better to stick to the goals and reach for the success.
    gracer likes this.
  11. Lackluster

This advice never does me any good sharing it, but I'm going to say if you have misgivings about doing it, listen to them. If you want to drink, fine - that's your prerogative, but learn to do it in a safe and responsible way. I spent a few years looking for the genie in a bottle of wine and never once found anything that did me any good.

But the hard stuff, avoid it. I have my opinions about drugs, some of them in-line with most t-totalers but a couple allowances - but seriously, don't. You'll be much happier that way.
  12. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Just last night a fought off the urge to drink because I got bored. Sure I had work to do on the computer but that was getting too redundant. Luckily I found something else to do to keep my mind occupied.
    gracer likes this.
  13. kana_marie

kana_marie Community Champion

I envy that kind of discipline. I've never had it, or if I did i never used it.
    jennaferjaywow likes this.
  14. imperivm1

imperivm1 Community Champion

I guess forcing yourself into visualizing what the consequences of what you're about to do will be works to some extent. It does not always comes to the rescue, though. You need to remember to think of the consequences and that's the hardest part. It's like the rational world gets separated from you by a large curtain you're unable to glimpse through. That's how we're stuck with making the bad decisions. That's how I've always pictured it.
    kana_marie and gracer like this.
  15. gracer

This is wonderful! "This too shall pass", it's just a short and simple phrase but it's very meaningful. It has different interpretations to different kinds of situations. In fighting urges it's nice to adopt this idea. Urges will eventually pass, just don't give into the moment of temptation and it will pass soon. :)
  16. Lackluster

@imperivm1, I agree. If you have the discipline to stop and visualize the effects, you've got the discipline to stop yourself and redirect your energies elsewhere. I do a lot of busy work myself, or play guitar. I'm even trying my hand at carving wooden guitar picks to have something to do.

Just find something a little less destructive to do that will take over your life. Just don't pick up guitar because one is never enough and you'll be just as broke as a smack addict because of all the pedals.
    gracer likes this.
  17. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Saying it's hard is just an excuse. The only person holding you back is yourself. Before, I was apt to justify my actions, you know, just like procrastinating. I never got things done with the kind of mentality I had back then. When I resolved to change, things started falling into place. When I really need support, I rely on family and friends to support me. You must have a strong set of principles to successfully fend off temptations. If you don't, then that's the time you honestly seek for and willingly accept other people's help.
  18. Lackluster

Of course it's an excuse. But 'excuse' doesn't mean 'thing I'm saying to make it not my fault,' it's something you say to explain your position or actions.

It is hard. Even the most successful former addicts can tell you they still feel weakness from time to time, and still crave their poison of choice. The difference is that the successful ones are the ones with willpower, like you. All I'm saying is that just because some of us don't have the willpower to succeed right away doesn't make us hopeless or lost causes. I feel like that sentiment gets applied, even if accidentally, more often than it should.
    kana_marie, Winterybella and gracer like this.
  19. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

No one said anything about being hopeless or lost causes. Surely, that's your own view. I have never touched on that subject. If you read my previous posts, I presented a method that worked for me and for a number of people along with a viable alternative should the person have no guts to resist temptation on their own.
  20. Lackluster

The general tone of what you said felt disparaging to me, and I was just trying to say that everyone copes and recovers differently. It's not fair to anyone to claim that it's nothing but an excuse. You have to reach the point where you can't make that excuse anymore before you can overcome it.
    trevermorgana likes this.