An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

When Temptation Calls

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by gracer, May 20, 2015.

1. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Eh, I sound disparaging? Whatever. You certainly have self issues. Deal with it on your own. Don't take it out on me. By the way, your interpretation is fictional - a product of your overactive imagination. You're blowing my comments out of proportion. This is not the proper forum to argue about petty stuff. Have a great day.
  2. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Yeah, thank you. One should really have self-discipline to be able to resist temptations.
  3. dyanmarie25

Oh, I am sorry to hear about that. Maybe not now, but in time, you will be able to control your urges. It is all in the mind sometimes. :)
  4. kana_marie

kana_marie Community Champion

I'm 38 years old. I have never had it before, and I doubt I ever will. The key is to figure out the best way to make giving in feel impossible. Ive mentioned it before, but i borrow strength from the people I care about. I picture my husband and my kids there with me. I won't do anything I wouldn't want them to witness. It works for me... at least it has for this long
    dyanmarie25 and gracer like this.
  5. Lackluster

Lackluster Active Contributor

Now I feel like you're projecting onto me - I can understand and respect our differences in ethics or morals, but now you're portraying me as something I'm not. I'm not going to tread this path farther, because I feel like we have similar goals and have simply got off on the wrong foot. I apologize if I've come off untoward to you, and have a good day yourself.
    Winterybella likes this.
  6. unique

unique Member

Temptation surrounds us whether it deals with drugs or illegal behavior but I must say you have to fight it from within by finding your motivation or reason to not be tempted but of course it is easy said than done but with me I chose my child as a motivation because it has a lot of past reflection to keep myself in a positive light. But I feel like you have to find within yourself what keeps you not looking back and not be tempted to do so. So never give up and never give in.
    gracer likes this.
  7. It's not that i LIKE the thought but i feel the same struggles...
  8. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

When temptation calls, you should either "hang up" or "ignore" the call. In a real sense we all know this is much easier said than done. I've never been tempted to use drugs or alcohol, but invariably, there have been others areas of my life where I have possibly had other kinds of addictions to which I might have yielded.

I think I have matured since those days and I have a better handle on my life when it comes to certain temptations. This days I try to apply the principle "think of the end before you begin" and in recent years it has been working. Besides that I have been blessed with four and a half dogs so they keep me focused on them.
    gracer likes this.
  9. kana_marie

I'm trying to picture four and a half dogs, lol. What I'm picturing is probably not the same thing as what you meant.

Temptation is what it is, regardless of what you're tempted to do. Saying "no"to anything you want is hard. Boyfriends who are tempted to cheat all the time, and give into that temptation, are risking just as much as a drug addict. Temptation doesn't pick and choose who or what. Everybody is forced to deal with it, and everybody is going to have to learn how to control it.
    gracer likes this.
  10. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

Kana_marie, I wondered who would notice my half of a dog and I wonder if you are even close to getting it right. It's just this dog who has been coming by for weeks and making our lives a living hell but I am starting to love him and don't know what to do with him.

I have four girls, one I recently adopted and none of them are fixed. The uninvited guest is a male so I am in quite a quandary trying to think what to do with him. I have gone trying to find his home a few times, so I have to conclude at least half of him belongs to me since I have been feeding him and putting him up in a safe area some nights.

He might be my latest temptation. I am tempted to have him fixed and keep him as my own but I know I probably should not take on another dog as my four keep me very busy. Yielding to this temptation might lead to family problems as I am sure my husband has had enough of me taking in dogs.
    gracer likes this.
  11. JohnBeaulieu

JohnBeaulieu Community Champion

It is hard and that is not an excuse. That is just the truth of the matter. Admitting this isn't a weakness or lack of willpower. It can be a necessary step for many to be able to overcome cravings. If you can't admit to it being difficult how can you seek any help? Saying it's hard as a reason to seek support instead of an excuse to give in is a good thing.
    kana_marie and gracer like this.
  12. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I have never been addicted to anything, but I do have trials of my own. What I am "fighting against" is more like in regards to my moral standards, like stooping on the level of my enemies. I'm torn between taking the high road or the low road.
    Last edited: May 24, 2015
  13. dyanmarie25

As long as it works well for you, then you should probably stick to it. I am glad you are considering your family as your source of strength. Good for you.
    kana_marie likes this.
  14. kana_marie

I know how tempting the low road can look. The high road may look like the Sahara desert, with dusty old bones here and there, and no sign of life... Then the low road will be 65 degrees, with plenty of trees and mowed grass, butterflies, and humming birds...
    It can be really hard to take that high road sometimes. And the fact is it isn't any easier than choosing to not pop that pill or drink that beer. Its about being a better person regardless of what vice you may be fighting.
    gracer and CallipygianGamine like this.
  15. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

Agreed completely, and I love the way you put it because I’m dealing with something similar. Or was. I might be coming out the other end of it now, finally. It’s been difficult and that low road has been oh so tempting at times, just because it would be so easy.
    kana_marie and gracer like this.
  16. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Of course I did. I remember when I decided to quit drinking, I remember the first weeks I gave into the temptation and ended up drinknig. I didn't need any kind of excuse for doing that, I just gave in and did it. Same with drugs, but with alcohol was worse because I saw it every time we went grocery shopping and it was easy to grab a can of something.

I'm so glad I'm no longer in that stage anymore, it was so hard! At times I thought I'd not make it, but here I am now.
    gracer likes this.
  17. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I agree, but in my case, since I'm all for justice, then I think that if you were wronged, then it's ok to correct the injustice by doing a vigilante act. Although that would reduce me to their level. When it comes to addictions though, it's high road all the way. You're just harming yourself by going the low road.
    gracer likes this.
  18. Lackluster

Lackluster Active Contributor

That's the absolute worst. You're trying to get a pack of bologna and you have to pass miles of beer and wine to get to it. It's all you can do not to grab a pack, sometimes, especially on the days where you can't catch a break and nothing you do can bring you out of that slump.

No, the real worst is when you stop at a gas station to fill up and you have to look at displays crammed full of it and some places even have this cave looking room just crammed full and it's taking everything you've got not to go in and block the door with cases and drink yourself into a stupor.

That might just be me, I get vivid daydreams when something like that happens.
    gracer likes this.
  19. kana_marie

Lmao no, that's not what I was picturing at all. I like your explanation better than my imagination.

I understand your temptation. If I were in your position, well I have a house full of dogs if that tells you anything.
    Winterybella likes this.
  20. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I think this is a problem everyone faces almost everyday, but you are right in saying that it's probably much more of an intense experience when it comes to addicts and recovering addicts. I believe almost everyone has a certain type of irrational obsession so I'm sure many would understand that it's something that pops up almost every minute of everyday which is why it's important to employ a lot of creative tactics to keep yourself distracted and disciplined while feeling fulfilled enough.
    gracer likes this.