An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

When Temptation Calls

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by gracer, May 20, 2015.

1. Christian

Christian DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

As a recovering addict I can relate to having urges. Not necessarily to use drugs, but to just not feel what I'm feeling at that particular moment. I've reached also just reached a point that no matter what I'm going through or how bad I'm feeling the use of drugs will only cause more harm and bring nothing than more suffering or uncomfortability. This realization has prompted me to seek other methods and "coping mechanisms" that are healthier and produce different and better results. I'm involved in AA which helps a great deal, dealing with other like minded individuals helps me put things in proper perspective and stay grateful for what I have and where I'm at which is essential for keeping a healthy mindset. I keep busy and am always trying to improve myself. I keep moving forward because if I'm not I'm regressing.
    gracer likes this.
  2. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Oh yes!!!!! It´s everywhere!!! I think this is why there are so many alcoholoics out there, I mean, being honest, if it wasn't because last time I got drunk I ended up feeling so bad a few hours later... odds are I'd still be drinking from time to time. I got what could be described as the worst hangover in my life just 3 hours after drinking.

That day I knew my body was sending me a message... my liver couldn't stand it anymore I guess, plus I no longer had a gallbladder, so that helped me dislike alcohol. I no longer feel tempted to buy those tequila with grapefruit soda cans when I see them. It kinda revolts my stomach. Alcohol is so easy to get, so easy...
    gracer likes this.
  3. Lackluster

Lackluster Active Contributor

I wish it had been that easy for me to stop. Waking up feeling like you've been hit by a Mack truck is bad enough, but then the need to drink piled on top is awful. You've got a choice, then - drink some more to make the now tolerable and the later awful, or lay off to live in misery for the next few hours.

It's a really easy decision to make, I must say. The easy decisions are always the most destructive ones though.
    gracer and amin021023 like this.
  4. amin021023

amin021023 Community Champion

I really dislike those situations...I couldn't think of anything worse than everything falling apart in your life and you can't help it when the cravings come, it's easy to relapse at those times which would make the situation even worse...
    I've been in those situations and I can say it's so hard to visualize anything but visualizing yourself using drugs...therefore I'd say all you could do is to make some preparation for those times and prevent relapse, a lot of things can be done for that purpose, for example informing a friend in advance for emergency calls, removing what may cause you stress and making sure not to hang out again with people who may cause you to relapse...
    gracer likes this.
  5. JohnBeaulieu

JohnBeaulieu Community Champion

I hate that alcohol is everywhere we go to buy food or beverages. It's always prominently displayed. It's a distraction for people that don't have an alcohol problem let alone those that do.
    gracer likes this.
  6. Lackluster

Lackluster Active Contributor

If nothing else, it's a test of resolve. Every time I head that direction and come back with a Pepsi instead of a Budweiser, I feel pretty accomplished with myself. I haven't always had that restraint, but it gets better with time.
    gracer likes this.
  7. Bonzer

Bonzer Community Champion

Temptation is all too common among humans. Different people react differently when feeling low. A person does not need to hit drugs when feeling low. If you have been a former addict or in sobriety, a drug might appeal to you readily. You should develop a strategy to deal with such situations. Try and program your mind to take off such situations and keeping yourself busy in things you like will keep you in good stead.
    gracer likes this.
  8. JohnBeaulieu

That is a good point. I do feel pretty good about the fact that I leave without a beer. It bolsters my confidence a bit.
  9. trevermorgana

trevermorgana Active Contributor

Saw the title and the first thing I thought was: When temptation calls turn a deaf ear. Anyways moments like that have come rather frequently in my life but I simply stand by what I believe and I turn away from it no matter how much it eats me alive.
    gracer likes this.
  10. superbobby

superbobby Active Contributor

I feel you man. I get tempted when I am down and would somehow convince myself that drugs can make me feel better when in reality it makes everything much worse.
    gracer likes this.
  11. BethBrown

BethBrown Member

Self control has always been my greatest vice. The best way to stop temptation for me is to avoid it, but obviously that doesn't always work. As soon as temptation strikes, I act. Sometimes I'll wait a second to consider the ramifications of my actions, but I then give up and do it anyway. I need to control myself, but I haven't figured out how as of yet.
    gracer likes this.
  12. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

It's a civil war. A silent civil war. It's over drugs and food. People are being slowly destroyed by toxic drugs and chemicals in food. The war is not inside of people. It's on the outside. The bombs or bullets are when you indulge in the wrong things that you think are ok. We don't need toxic drugs. We certainly don't need food laced with chemicals. Less than 2% of something doesn't have to be listed on a food label. Some are in an oblivion to the fact that they are under attack and unknowingly consuming things that are harming them.
    I remember the first time someone said to me; "How could that be? Why? Nobody is going to do that. Its ok. I don't believe that."
    Ok. Go back to sleep and continue to allow yourself to be poisoned slowly with your toxic drugs and your junk food. The stuff that causes lab rats to have convulsions, paralysis, and enlarges the liver.
  13. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

In my experience and observation the most difficult part in quitting any kind of addiction is related to temptation calling. If you cannot control temptation, you are unable to control your cravings. If you cannot stop your cravings, you will continue to use substances.
    gracer likes this.
  14. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I think the tempting situations hit me a lot harder at the start. It would feel like every weekend someone was always having a party, BBQ or get together where alcohol was present. And I think for me that was hard, just the social acceptability of drinking and it being here there and everywhere. As time went on though, and the further along I got with my sobriety, the more strength I gained from that. I also learned more about things that were triggers for me, which helped as well.
    gracer likes this.
  15. JohnBeaulieu

You are over generalizing a complex situation and to make matters worse what little reasoning you have displayed is reductive. Chemicals are not automatically toxic or harmful just by virtue of being chemicals. Water is a chemical, should we ban it from all foods? At any rate, just because you can't pronounce something or just plain don't understand it isn't a reason to cry toxic.
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
  16. gracer

gracer Community Champion

The situation is also the same where I used to live. There's always a party almost everyday at some place or inside the community and wherever there's a party, alcohol and cigarettes are always part of them. I'm just thankful that I no longer feel the need to join in those parties so I'm also able to avoid the temptations that come along with them. :)
    kassie1234 likes this.
  17. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

Thankfully these days for me, my close network of family and friends know about my past and the fact that I'm a recovered alcoholic and they're really respectful of that. Honestly we don't really ever have get togethers when there is alcohol present nowadays - because it's just not something they feel like they need either, to have a good time! There's plenty of ways to have fun without needing to drink, and I'm glad that I've been able to show my friends that too :)
    gracer likes this.
  18. gracer

gracer Community Champion

That is so true! :) I guess part of becoming a more responsible adult now is the maturity in mind and action that comes with it. I too don't feel the need to drink alcohol anymore because I think I'm already over and done with it and it's no longer something I look for when I want to have a good time. Like you said, there are many other ways to enjoy without having to include alcohol with it.