An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

When temptation meets opportunity

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by remnant, Mar 11, 2016.

1. remnant

remnant Community Champion

Most people quit alcohol in situations of deprivation, despair or after a major adversity. For example, a person suffers a significant financial setback after blowing away a windfall. Over time, adverse memories fade and they recover their former financial status quo. In other situations, they find themselves in settings where free beer is flowing. The rest is history.
  2. darkrebelchild

darkrebelchild Community Champion

I totally agree, while some quit not because they want to but because of some health problems, there is tendency of still being drawn to alcohol. Moderation is the best; if you must take, it must not be over the limit. I am familiar with people who would rather move with crowds that offer free drinks and then they lose themselves because of greed.
  3. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

My uncle who is suffering from acute depression is also an alcoholic. He does not drink every day, however, whenever he drinks he is uncontrollable. No body has been able to tell whether alcohol influenced his depression or depression influenced his alcoholism. Despite going to rehab, he had been unable to quit alcohol.
  4. Momma9

Momma9 Community Champion

Alcohol and depression go hand in hand. Alcohol is a depressant, so it will make depression worse when already present. When you are depressed, it is hard to pull yourself up out of it, especially when you are drinking. The drinking will temporarily make you feel better; but in the end you feel worse. It is a horrible cycle to be in!
  5. akiram13

akiram13 Community Champion

Being a women free flow of drinks is easy access. No matter the time place or day. I fed my addiction through other people I quit because I knew it wasn't a life that I wanted myself to be in or my kids to see.
  6. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I'd imagine most people who decide to quit will have a genuine reason behind it, and they won't just one day wake up and think I'm going to stop drinking.

That reason could be financial, health reasons or maybe even pressure from others around them that they need to stop.
  7. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

It does happen like that to some people, but not to all. I've met alcoholics who don't care even about eating, they use all their money on booze, yes even if they know they won't be able to eat for a while. I know a guy like that, he is a neighbor who lives in the other street.
  8. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

One reason why some alcoholics are unable to beat their addictions is because they'll always have a way to get alcohol even when they are broke. They've got friends who are quite eager to buy them a drink just so they can have some company or they expect they'll get some free drinks at a later date.

From my observations when someone has lost "everything" they no longer have anything left to fight for so if we are to help alcoholics we should do it before they lose everything because if they do it might be too late to help them.