An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

When to join a group?

Discussion in 'Other Recovery Support Groups' started by sunflogun, Apr 21, 2015.

1. sunflogun

sunflogun Community Champion

I feel that when we want to change our ways we seek for help, but at the same time something inside us might not want to seek a group, call it pride or something other. What inside us change that make us look for a group? Simply the desperate need for help? Hitting rock bottom?
  2. lgdg090596

lgdg090596 Senior Contributor

The desperate need for help, definitely.
  3. sunflogun

If our desperation actually leads to reaching out I think it's a good thing, better than just sinking more and more into the addiction. Either cases, groups are very much necessary, an open door is a necessity for those recovering.
  4. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I think it is about getting to that point that you know you can't beat the addiction without help. I do think for a long time people do try to tell themselves their addiction isn't a big deal, that they could stop at any time...in many cases quite delusional about the fact that they even have an addiction whatsoever. So yes -- I feel like it's that desperation once something finally snaps, and a person realizes they can't go on living the way they are.
  5. freefrog

freefrog Member

I quit drinking for 4 months after being denied life insurance.However,When I started drinking again,I could not stop!I went on a one month binge or as I say I burned Atlanta[A reference to General Sherman's march to the sea during the Civil War] My life was saved by AA and the horror I witnessed there!
  6. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

The moment when you feel like you're losing the fight and you can't keep it up anymore. I think that a lot of people join support groups when they hit rock bottom and feel like they are about to collapse.
    I joined one when I was feeling like I couldn't control my addiction anymore.
  7. amin021023

amin021023 Community Champion

When you realize you've done so much damage to yourself that you're not even capable to help yourself so you go to groups to seek help from other people.
  8. kylerlittle

kylerlittle Community Champion

I think it's important to join a group when you feel like you are desperate for help and it's out of hand. It could really lift a lot of burden off of you, because people around you and community can choose to help you and comfort you through your hardship and affliction.
  9. sunflogun

Joining a group is actually one of the best things we can do, because we can share our experiences with people that actually understand them and that helps a lot and can help us to think better.
  10. 6up

6up Community Champion

We need groups even when we don't have problems so that later incase we need help, they will be their for us. We do not only need groups during addiction or when stressed up.
  11. sunflogun

I think you are right 6up, we usually join a group because we need the support, but once we get clean the will to give back with keep us in the group, helping others is a great feeling.
  12. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

Seeking for help can be disappointing when you hit rock bottom, this is why I think joining a group should occur before you reach the dark bottom of your addictions well.

Sometimes refrain from joining is not pride, but denial in the belief one does not need any help, but I think it's all about admitting we are in trouble and find help as a lucid choice with our wellness in mind for doing this.
  13. sunflogun

That would be ideal Digital, but the main problem is that people don't reach out for help until they hit bottom or at least the majority of them. Only we see the misery we are in is when we seek help.
    MyDigitalpoint likes this.
  14. yascaydeki

yascaydeki Member

My dad was an alcoholic and, though I'm pretty sure I was never around him when he did, he abused drugs. It may not be exactly what you were looking for, but I keep feeling like I should join some sort of group for family members of addicts. It seems like it could help. I don't want to go to a group just to have Jesus shoved down my throat though, which seems to be the process of a lot of them. I could go to church if I wanted to find God. Talking is really what I want, from a psychiatrist or group or whatever. I don't need help for substance abuse myself, but it's kind of hard dealing with your loved ones when they go through that.
  15. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

Sad but absolutely true, and even saddest when we realize how in hard times, almost anyone turn their backs to us, particularly those persons you thought were the one you could count on through thick and thin.
    sunflogun likes this.
  16. sunflogun

Those are the times when we see our real friends or the absence of them true. The only ones who don't turn their back on us is family, so that is why it's so important to count with a group too.
    MyDigitalpoint likes this.
  17. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I first tried to join a group when I realized I needed extra support :) I went to AA meetings when I was trying to stop binge drinking... because I was feeling so lonely! I felt much better after the first meeting, because that group was conformed by truly exceptional people :) Really wonderful! I have assisted to other groups since then (binge eaters, NA, etc) but none as wonderful as that group :)
  18. rz3300@

rz3300@ Senior Contributor

I knew it was time to join a group a couple weeks into the whole recovery when I just needed someone to talk to. It took me a while to fully realize that my old friends were really out of the picture in terms of deeper discussions so I needed to be around people like me.

It worked, too. It is nice going in fresh and really opening up to new people and starting there. It is like you can build from a shared experience. It just makes it easier to have open communication, and I think that that is never a bad thing.