An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

When to stop seeing a friend?

Discussion in 'Helping an Addicted Friend' started by caparica007, Oct 8, 2014.

1. notodrugs

notodrugs Community Listener Community Listener

You're the strong guy now in the relationship. Strong in the sense that you're not into drinking. If you think you will be tempted to follow his drinking habit, then you have to end the friendship because both of you will just sink each other down. But if you know how to resist him and can in fact, help him stop it before it's too late, then do what you can do. It may be easier said than done but you have to be really determined and resolved at not having a go at it again.

Good luck to you!
  2. thomas carty

thomas carty Member

I don't think that the best thing to do is to leave a friend that is like this. What you would have to do is see if you can come up with ways that you can get them away from the drinking environment because they will just continue and then it will just get worst.
  3. aquariancore

aquariancore Member

When to stop. I found the stopping point can either be when the person is rejecting help and support or just going though the motions but refusing to strive to sobriety. They have to be the who wants the change in their life situations.
  4. s2chenrn

s2chenrn Member

I had made a new friend last Christmas and we had so much in common that we became friends instantly. We were so inseparable everyone thought that we would end up together. We hung out for almost every week and talk constantly on the phone. However, during the past few weeks, the friend that I was referring to gradually disappeared. Apparently, my ex-friend ditched me to be with another friend. So, I realized that this was a no-brainer and I should stop being his friend.
  5. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Why would you stop seeing a friend who's in trouble? If you're the friend you claim you are, you won't leave the other person in that dark prison. Instead, you should convince your friend to go to rehab if it's impossible to single-handedly fight off the drinking habit. In the name of friendship, you should undertake the responsibility of leading your friend towards the right path. If you're together during drinking sessions, prevent any contact with alcohol. Tell your friends' family about the situation so they can share your responsibility as well.
  6. CpXi7z1

CpXi7z1 Member

Friendship is a strong bond, and severing that bond hurts, but if his drinking destroys the quality of your friendship, it's in your best interest to limit your interactions or cut ties. If you can stick with the commitment, tell your friend when he's ready to quit drinking and live a sober life, you will be there to offer your support and friendship. Holding on to friendships that deter you from living your life and reaching your goals cripples you. I know.
  7. Strykstar

Strykstar Active Contributor

If you are willing to break off the friendship due to his addiction, I think you should make it perfectly clear that that is the reason for the break.
    Not only will you make it cl3ear that you don't wish to see him again, it will hopefully make him reconsider his choices and maybe seek help.