An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

When Too Much Becomes Addiction

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by gracer, Mar 8, 2016.

1. gracer

gracer Community Champion

Addiction to drugs or substances always begins with a simple "try" or taste. Most of the people I personally know who have become addicted were not exposed to their addictions at first and were only introduced to them at certain moments of their lives. Then there it begins to increase from "just a try" to "one more" then to "more,more,more."

My point here I guess is to not try at all even if you think it's just a harmless result of curiosity. Addiction doesn't come in a flash but in stages of introduction, wanting more, and then wanting too much.
  2. akiram13

akiram13 Community Champion

This brings back memories. I had my first taste of marijuana through my brother forcing me to try it when he picked me up from school because I got caught smoking cigarettes. I still don't know why he made me try MJ but I have never wanted nor have I picked up the habit. But I have been addicted to smoking which I think or consider started from second hand smoke and my drinking started from curiosity and the horrible rebellion stage.
    gracer likes this.
  3. remnant

remnant Community Champion

The best way to bulletproof against addiction is not to start the journey in the first place. It is a classic case of the best defence being no offence. It is an enforced habit and the bodies' physiology will alert you that you are ingesting a poison for example, by coughing.
    gracer likes this.
  4. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I think people with addictive personalities, can get hooked on something real fast. Once you realize that you want more and more that's when you know your on your way to being hooked. It seems like you have to go backwards and do less and less to reverse the cycle. Somethings should just be avoided overall.
    gracer likes this.
  5. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

It's definitely better to not try at all, than end up being addicted to it. There's that possibility that anyone can get addicted to drugs or alcohol even with just one taste. And most especially with drugs, it's hard to control an addiction with it. I can understand some people with a high level of control and can definitely control their drinking behaviour.

But for people who has a history of parents with addictions or for those with mental conditions, I would dare say that it's better to avoid alcohol and drugs. There's that possibility that you might be addicted to it than people whose parents are not addicted to such drugs and alcohol. And for those with mental conditions, they might not be stable enough to control their intake.
    gracer likes this.
  6. gracer

gracer Community Champion

I can relate well with the way you started your smoking and drinking habit because that's pretty much how I started too. I was constantly exposed to second-hand smoke from my friends who were all mostly smokers. Then, I found consolation from my problems by drinking alcohol. Those were the things I have learned to overcome and would never want to go back to ever again.
    akiram13 likes this.
  7. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

At some point you cross the line between casual use and addiction, and this line is different for each person. Nothing is ever good if you have to have it to function or live on. Alcohol is one of those things that is easy to get addicted to because it is available everywhere.
  8. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

That's why it's better to avoid using anything while you can. Many teens and young adults overestimate themselves and give drugs a try out of curiosity. Just when you think that you won't be addicted because you're mentally and physically strong, you end up getting hooked until you regret taking it in the first place.
  9. djdrug

djdrug Community Champion

I have to agree, you shouldn't try something like that in the first place. But, I think there is a lot more that goes into something becoming an "addiction". I have tried a few things but I never became addicted to those things because I am simply a control freak. I can never put my mind in a situation where it is not in control. That's why, today my worst addiction is caffeine, mainly because it makes me a little sharper. Anything that messes with my mind is simply not going to stay with me for long.
  10. explorerx7

explorerx7 Senior Contributor

People have tried on numerous occasions to get me to overindulge in alcohol, they had never seen me drunk and they would love to see me that way for their own entertainment. I drink but never to the point of being punch drunk, because I start feeling a bit woozy I am done. I see no point in being drunk and disorderly. They will try to use the age old trick of telling me that I am weak, but I let them know that I am stronger than they are because I won't let myself be influenced by peer pressure.
  11. akiram13

akiram13 Community Champion

No matter how far we may have fallen in the past we can always pull ourselves back up and keep climbing higher and away from that past. Those flaws only taught us how to be better and how to be stronger. I hope you can keep strong and don't go back. We have so much more we can accomplish. :)
    deanokat and gracer like this.
  12. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

Sounds much like the way it started for me, and for quite a long time I lied to myself saying that it wasn't problematic or that I could stop at any time - but that wasn't the case. Took me a while to admit that to myself though. I think so often things like binge drinking in particular are condoned as "just having a bit of fun" or "being social" but it's a lot more problematic than that.
    gracer likes this.
  13. serenity

serenity Community Champion

That is so true, if the person has an addictive personality then it is very likely that they will want to take more drugs with each passing day to the point that they will be addicted to it. So better to not try drugs at all, right? As for me, I don't have an addictive personality, so I didn't get addicted to weed and cigarettes when I tried them.
    gracer likes this.
  14. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

That is right. Although there are some who seem to become addicted more easily compared to others, better to avoid trying in the first place. Prevention is always better than cure as been said many times. :)
    gracer likes this.
  15. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

I completely agree with you, sometimes we think that we know ourselves to well in order to know how are we going to react or control certain things that just aren't that easy, such as addictions and instincts, for example.
    The curiosity killed the cat.
  16. Okaviator

Okaviator Senior Contributor

Most of my drug addiction has resulted from being in the wrong group of friends. Even though I told myself I would never try drugs. Just the fact that they were a bad influence made me try drugs.
  17. djolem

djolem Senior Contributor

This is correct and it is particularly correct when it comes to heavy drugs like heroin and alcohol in any shape. Addiction also strike the weak people and people in serious problems. I haven't been addicted to neither alcohol nor drugs but i do smoke marijuana and I did have alcohol situation last year for the first time in my life. It lasted for several months and something happened to me that opened my eyes. Somebody happened actually. DID could have been used for weed too.