An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

When was your first sip of alcohol?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by Jasmine2015, Aug 16, 2015.

1. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

I remember when I was a small child I was at some party my mom's friends were having and we were invited. I told my mom I was really thirsty so I drank from her cup. Then all of a sudden all the adults go nuts and some even laughed it off. I'm an adult now past 21 and I don't drink. But that memory is still stuck with me.
  2. MrAmazingMan1

MrAmazingMan1 Active Contributor

I remember also being at my mothers party and saw this glass of yellowish liquid on the counter in a wine glass. Me being a boy my first thought was lemonade, boy was I wrong and it tasted horrible!
  3. gr8hoops21

gr8hoops21 Member

My first drink of alcohol was when I was 18 years old and I left for college and within the first two weeks my teammates (I play D1 basketball) made me try it. I do not have anything against alcohol, I just think it needs to be used in moderation. I have friends who I am almost positive are alcoholics and when we drink together, I am sure to watch them carefully because I think it can be dangerous. I am not going to lie, when I took my first shot I hated it. I do not hate it as much anymore but I am still not a super fan.
  4. stridee

stridee Active Contributor

My first sip of alcohol was when I was a teenager. It was a very strange experience and I remember that I did not even like the taste of it. I believe that it was a bottle of Moscatto, so it definitely was not heavy or anything. Ever since then, I have not drunk that much alcohol because of how strange it tastes. I do not despise alcohol, but if it is a part of an addiction then it is a problem.
  5. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I was really young at the time. My grandparent were drinking a few beers in the house and I wondered what it taste like. My parents were senile so they weren't all there, so to speak. I drank a whole beer at 6 years old. I think I was drunk, I'm not sure. It was all downhill after that.
  6. Lizel

Lizel Community Champion

I took my first sip of alcohol when I was very young, about 7-8 years. My mother gave me some beer to try, and I remember saying that it's horrible. I never manage to enjoy drinking beer, this experience actually discouraged me to it.
  7. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I first tasted beer when I was around 8 years old. My father and his friends were drinking at our house that night, and when they weren't looking, I took a sip of the beer out of mere curiosity and I never liked it.
  8. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

My old man was an alcoholic when I was a kid. So there usually was a lot of alcohol at home. Any time he was drinking, at first he would be quite happy and urge anyone who was near him to take a sip of whatever it is he was drinking but the moment he got drank he'd be rather grouchy. It was during one of his boozing sessions that I first tasted alcohol. I was around 5 yrs old.
  9. chaynemayne

chaynemayne Member

My first sip of alcohol was at a high school party during my sophomore year of high school. A couple of my older friends were there and encouraged me to start drinking. I would say I started mainly out of curiosity. My first time I got sick but since then I've been a pretty responsible drinker. Drinking certainly has a place as long as it is done responsibly.
  10. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

My grandpa let me have a sip of his beer when I was little knowing that I thought it would taste gross and would no longer be curious about it. To this day I think beer tastes gross so grandpa must have had a good idea there.
  11. nwalker85

nwalker85 Member

A story my dad likes to tell frequently is my 2nd birthday. My parents were young, 19/20 when I was born, so my second birthday was a kegger. My dad was drinking whisky, and I wouldn't stop asking him for some. "Want dink daddy, want dink". No, he would say, you don't want any of this. But I kept asking. Eventually he caved, and said, alright, here. He gave me the tiniest bit of a shot. I drank it, shuddered really hard, looked at my dad and excitedly said "want dink daddy want dink!".
  12. gracer

gracer Community Champion

I couldn't remember at what age exactly but I was still on my teen years when I first tasted alcohol through my friends. I also didn't like the taste at first but when I've gotten used to it, it began to be a part of my life until I stopped almost 6 years ago.
  13. SarahWorksAtHome

SarahWorksAtHome Community Champion

I was 13.
    It was also the night I lost my virginity to rape.
    I was forced to drink a screwball/oj an vodka drink. I almost got alcohol poisoning.
    You might think that would have caused an aversion but everything just did a landslide after that night for me.
  14. henry

henry Community Champion

I remember the first sip of alcohol I ever took was a sip of beer I took from my dads glass when he wasn't looking. I remember it tasted awful I remember wondering what the hell he liked about it, and that soda or juice of any kind was a whole lot better than that. I wasn't curious about alcohol for a long time after that.
    Jasmine2015 likes this.
  15. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

It is similar to when kids sip coffee for the first time, no? But once they get older they may appreciate it then.
    henry likes this.
  16. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

At a dinner party my parents were holding one evening. If I remember correctly, I was still in my first year of high school and my folks thought that it was okay if I had a glass of red wine. I didn't really enjoy it and thought it tasted terrible, I was so accustomed to sodas back then. These days, I enjoy a glass of red wine with my food but it's seldom a daily ritual.
  17. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I've had a drink as a kid before. My experience was similar to yours. Once my uncle played a trick on me, and gave me some cherry coke that had Jack Daniels in it. I didn't get drunk or anything it was just a few sips. I did drink when I got older but it wasn't because of that, and I never liked that kind of liquor any way.
  18. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

We had a bar tendering class before during high school and so, we made some punch drinks and tasted those of course. I first sip a beer when I was in my 20's in a birthday party. I put a lot of ice in a mug of beer and no matter how much ice I put into it, it still tastes awful for me. :p
  19. eveliner

eveliner Senior Contributor

I remember having had my first sip of alcohol when I was 11. A bit late compared to the statistics, but I'm actually glad it happened this late. I was at a friend's anniversary and his curiosity struck him so much when he saw a bottle of beer in the fridge, so he opened it for all of us there and we took a bit each one. I felt so bad after... from a physical point of view.
  20. Zimbitt

Zimbitt Senior Contributor

It was New Years of my grade 11 year, me and 3 other buddies decided to get drunk for (2 of our first times) the night. One of us ended up projectile vomiting the other rolling around on the floor all night and I had a fun night jumping on pretty much all the beds and yelling a lot.