An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

When will i be able to sleep again??

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by True concern, Jun 6, 2018.

1. True concern

True concern Community Champion

So i don't know what else to do,im sober for over 4 month's now,i've ran 12.08miles in the past 36 hour's yet i've only slept maybe 2 hours in that time frame.For over 4 month's now i stay awake 40-44 hour's out of 48.I just can't sleep even though physically I'm exhausted mentally I'm wide awake and i won't lie though I'm awake after 36 hour's i can tell my mood changes and i need sleep but can't get any.Advice please on how to sleep all i can think of is run another 4 miles and it's nearly midnight.Just one good night sleep would be fantastic.Please advise
  2. Cametobelieve0202

Cametobelieve0202 Community Champion

My best advice is maybe take some melatonin or meditate but don’t give up. I don’t think I was able to sleep well again until around 6 months sober maybe 7. Now I can sleep wherever, whenever. If you would have talked to me 5 years ago I would have told you it was impossible for me to sleep without alcohol, and at the time I 100% believed that. Our bodies take time to adjust, and get used to our “new normal”.
    lonewolves and True concern like this.
  3. True concern

I don't know what melatonin is but i truly don't want to take anything anymore...This is just a waiting game i imagine.My eye's are starting to get heavy so i should be a sleep by Friday afternoon J/K..........I hope
  4. Cametobelieve0202

Cametobelieve0202 Community Champion

Melatonin is a hormone in your body that helps regulate sleep. It’s not a prescription or anything, you can get it in the vitamin aisle. Give it a google if your interested.

This is quoted from a website
    “Melatonin supplements are often recommended for sleep problems involving sleep cycles, such as jet lag or irregular night shift work. Melatonin supplements are also recommended for sleep disorders due to side effects from beta-blockers (blood pressure medication), from stopping benzodiazepine drugs or from quitting smoking. Melatonin may also be given for insomnia linked to attention deficit-hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) and autism in children.”
  5. True concern

Wholy **** all those apply to me except the autism...i think.I will have to give it a try thank you
  6. Dominica

Dominica Author, Writer, Recovery Advocate Community Listener

@True concern ah, i am sorry you cannot sleep. i cannot imagine...actually, i imagine i would be a royal bear, grouchy to the core... i get that way after one night of not sleeping well.... bless it!

you can try melatonin... works for some.

i have a friend who has trouble shutting her brain down enough to sleep.... she says what helps her is sleeping out in nature for few days to a week... allowing nature to kind of reset her circadian rhythm. not sure if this may help. nature is therapeutic...get on the ground...and allow the energy of the earth to maybe start resetting you. try sitting in silence or meditating even for 10 minutes a day while barefoot on the earth. :)

if you see a dr. they'll probably prescribe something and i know you don't want to take more meds... so maybe research alternative ways to relax your mind... gonna take time for it to reset.... also, maybe try NOT running in the evening... that revs you up! how about a hot bath instead.... calming music...

well, that's my two cents!
    True concern likes this.
  7. True concern

Not run in the evening huh...i will try that
  8. True concern

Almost 2 month's later still chasing sleep.It's hard as sh×t to stay sober but these 30+hour session's in between are driving me Fu×king nuts
  9. lonewolves

lonewolves Community Champion

10. Julzygirl

Julzygirl Active Contributor

Oh I feel your pain!!!!! Benadryl is the only thing that helps me sleep and it works about %50 of the time. Melatonin does work for some but not me. Getting your sleep back is tough for some of us. I've researched the subject in depth and what I have learned is that you have to find what works for you. When I can't sleep and the benadryl doesn't work, I watch nature documentaries on netflix on my phone with my ear buds. I turn down the brightness, close my eyes and just listen. If that doesn't work, I try to daydream in the dark and focus on good stuff I want to do in the future. I visualize and start planning. By distracting my own mind I get so lost in day dreaming that before I know it, I am waking up and have slept a bit. Gotta get your circadian rhythm back in synce. Really hard to do for some of us!!!! I like med free ways because if it's a controlled substance, I will abuse it!!! The messed up thing about me is that I've abused so much in the past that normal things don't help me anymore. Make your sleep space feel good for you. Like I try to make my space cool, dark, soft, smelling fresh and comfortable.
    deanokat, Dominica and True concern like this.
  11. Dominica

@Julzygirl great tips! i have heard some people say that benedryl can be addictive when using for sleep. like the body will keep wanting it... not sure if this is true.... just a head's up. my partner has had sleep issues for many years.... it's rough at times for sure when you're trying not to take addictive things... bless it!
    True concern and deanokat like this.
  12. Julzygirl

Yes it can be and so can nasal spray. Lol. Sometimes, you have to do what you have to do.
    Dominica likes this.
  13. Dominica

I hear you... I've had my share of allergy/sinus stuff!! :)
  14. Julzygirl

I once was addicted to peanuts. Yes peanuts!!! PEANUTS!!! Who does that? I do. Lol. That's what I mean about being an addict. It is the core behavior that needs to be dealt with. Lol. Peanuts! So most people would think that being addicted to peanuts is not an issue. In itself, it's not but if you look at all the drugs and alcohol I was addicted to, peanuts become scarey! Yea allergies suck!!!
    deanokat likes this.
  15. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

I love peanuts. Salted in the shell. Mmmmmmmm. :)
    Dominica and True concern like this.
  16. Julzygirl

Yup. They did me in. Lol.
    Dominica and deanokat like this.
  17. Jai50

Jai50 Senior Contributor

Yes melatonin is very helpful for sleep.
    There is another one called valerian root if you combine the two melatonin and valerian root it helps relax and put a person to sleep these are the bases to make Ambien so it is effective for people with sleep disorders that don't want to take a narcotic.
    deanokat, Dominica and True concern like this.