New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

When will i be able to sleep again??

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by True concern, Jun 6, 2018.

1. True concern

True concern Community Champion

So i don't know what else to do,im sober for over 4 month's now,i've ran 12.08miles in the past 36 hour's yet i've only slept maybe 2 hours in that time frame.For over 4 month's now i stay awake 40-44 hour's out of 48.I just can't sleep even though physically I'm exhausted mentally I'm wide awake and i won't lie though I'm awake after 36 hour's i can tell my mood changes and i need sleep but can't get any.Advice please on how to sleep all i can think of is run another 4 miles and it's nearly midnight.Just one good night sleep would be fantastic.Please advise
  2. CMMW

CMMW Senior Contributor

My best advice is maybe take some melatonin or meditate but don’t give up. I don’t think I was able to sleep well again until around 6 months sober maybe 7. Now I can sleep wherever, whenever. If you would have talked to me 5 years ago I would have told you it was impossible for me to sleep without alcohol, and at the time I 100% believed that. Our bodies take time to adjust, and get used to our “new normal”.
    True concern likes this.
  3. True concern

I don't know what melatonin is but i truly don't want to take anything anymore...This is just a waiting game i imagine.My eye's are starting to get heavy so i should be a sleep by Friday afternoon J/K..........I hope
  4. CMMW

CMMW Senior Contributor

Melatonin is a hormone in your body that helps regulate sleep. It’s not a prescription or anything, you can get it in the vitamin aisle. Give it a google if your interested.

This is quoted from a website
    “Melatonin supplements are often recommended for sleep problems involving sleep cycles, such as jet lag or irregular night shift work. Melatonin supplements are also recommended for sleep disorders due to side effects from beta-blockers (blood pressure medication), from stopping benzodiazepine drugs or from quitting smoking. Melatonin may also be given for insomnia linked to attention deficit-hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) and autism in children.”
  5. True concern

Wholy **** all those apply to me except the autism...i think.I will have to give it a try thank you
  6. Dominica

Dominica Author, Writer, Recovery Advocate Community Listener

@True concern ah, i am sorry you cannot sleep. i cannot imagine...actually, i imagine i would be a royal bear, grouchy to the core... i get that way after one night of not sleeping well.... bless it!

you can try melatonin... works for some.

i have a friend who has trouble shutting her brain down enough to sleep.... she says what helps her is sleeping out in nature for few days to a week... allowing nature to kind of reset her circadian rhythm. not sure if this may help. nature is therapeutic...get on the ground...and allow the energy of the earth to maybe start resetting you. try sitting in silence or meditating even for 10 minutes a day while barefoot on the earth. :)

if you see a dr. they'll probably prescribe something and i know you don't want to take more meds... so maybe research alternative ways to relax your mind... gonna take time for it to reset.... also, maybe try NOT running in the evening... that revs you up! how about a hot bath instead.... calming music...

well, that's my two cents!
    True concern likes this.
  7. True concern

Not run in the evening huh...i will try that