An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

When you can't run anymore; then what???

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by Dominica, Jul 30, 2018.

1. Dominica

Dominica Author, Writer, Recovery Advocate Community Listener

@True concern ok, so you and i are not allowed to run at least for now... and like you, i like competition.

but as we age... what are some alternatives to running where we can still be comptetitve with ourselves and others? i don't mean we have to be crazy competitive!!! (no compulsions or addictive exercising)

throwing some out there...feel free to do the same.

swimming (not really for me)
    biking , mountain biking in the woods can be fun... easier on the knees
    yoga
    pole yoga (lol had to throw that out there!)
    hiking (heard of "rucking" lately)
    boxing
    senior olympics (i have 2.5 more years to compete in this!!! 50 y/o)

want to add any?
    lonewolves and True concern like this.
  2. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

Kayaking
    True concern likes this.
  3. True concern

True concern Community Champion

You know it's hard for me to think of any because honestly Im to damn poor to do most thing's, I literally get one tank of gas a month because I can't afford more,no bike,I don't really know. Part of the reason- most of the reason Im having this knee surgery is because I lucked out and got a surgeon who specializes in sports injuries and surgeries for athletes and he told me he can give me the ability to run again, like the way I want to run.He said if I truly want to run hard then I better prepare to rehab hard and if I did I could be as good as new in about a year from the surgery.I don't know what I will do when I can't run anymore its truly something I can't imagine losing,however I know in reality I will one day lose the ability and maybe by then I will get a bike.:confused:
    Lostboy8731 likes this.
  4. Dominica

oh yes, kayaking is great!! yay!
    Lostboy8731 and deanokat like this.
  5. Dominica

well, i am glad you'll be able to run again..in time! yay! many ways to exercise are free. ;) for now, do whatever you're allowed to do by the dr.