An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

When you feel like you have hit rock bottom

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by tasha, Feb 4, 2016.

1. tasha

tasha Community Listener Community Listener

It is not easy to stay sober and when you have been in recovery and you need to continue on in life it might seem like the days are long and life is boring, lonely and nobody is there in your world but you must remember that being an addict is no life at all and if you are able to be bored and have any feelings now you are lucky because continued use is no happy ending.
    There are days where you feel the world is on your shoulders and nobody is there to talk to you, they are against you and you cant explain, this is a normal feeling and to uplift yourself when you are this down, do something charitable to take your mind off of your life and concentrate on someone else who is suffering. This will make them feel good and in turn will lift you too.
    Rock bottom after recovery is normal but once you have hit the bottom the only other way is up!!
    DN02 and Rainman like this.
  2. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

It will be helpful to find ways to make the recovery phase not boring. Like joining support groups or be a volunteer on various activities. Right that the only left way for someone who hit bottom is way up and every day of being sober is an achievement.
    Mayoress and Rainman like this.
  3. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

If you are religious I think going to church more often can be the answer because you have the promise of help when you ask for it.

For those who aren't religious I second using up your free time doing some volunteer work. It not only keeps you busy but what you'll be doing for you community will always leave you feeling good.
  4. Zyni

Zyni Community Champion

I like that idea, for several reasons. There is a big need for volunteers. Also, getting the focus off of yourself and putting others first can often be very healing. It can change your life. Well, it changed mine, anyway. As noted, it also keeps you busy, so less time to get distracted by boredom, temptation, or feeling sorry for one self.
  5. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

This is a really positive outlook on things. The only other place to go is up from the bottom. Helping others is really helping yourself because what goes around comes back around. I think you have the right idea about this. Thanks for sharing this post.
  6. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

When you have hit rock bottom, all you can do is climb up. Volunteering not only helps others but it can keep your mind on better things. Who says recovery has to be boring? I have seen people do things like keep pen pals. That will give you someone to talk to and share experiences.
  7. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Thanks for sharing this post to us here. Really motivational. :)

When you think you have hit the rock bottom, find ways to go back on top. You can do it. Never lose hope and don't ever give up on recovery. You can do it.
  8. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Yes, recovering addicts should never be discouraged once they hit rock bottom, because there is no way but up if you are already in too deep. They should keep going despite the setbacks that they face.
  9. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

I loved this idea! When you hit rock bottom, there is no other way but up! It is truly inspirational for addicts and alcoholics. It's the idea that once you think you're done, you've hit the lowest point of your life, don't lose hope! Because the truth is, since you're already at the bottom, there's no other way but for you to go up.

And isn't that encouraging? Do not give up! Even when you feel like you're done, and you cannot do this anymore, remember that there is still a way to go up. You might have hit rock bottom, but just like an elevator, you can still go up. It doesn't matter how many times you fall, the important thing is you try and get up.
  10. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

Helping others when you're feeling down is a great suggestion. It's something that I really do find works wonders for my overall mood and self esteem. Helping someone else makes me feel worthwhile, valued, productive, and useful - and in turn it helps someone else feel loved and valued as well!
  11. Nancy D.

Nancy D. Senior Contributor

I think having a prayer life and being spiritual can help many people who feel hopeless. Just having an ear to listen can sometimes help the pain go away. I think having a friend that understands and doesn't judge is the best way to help with depression in our loved ones. Helpful hearts not judgmental tongues.
  12. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

13. DN02

DN02 Member

Volunteering is a wonderful way to support the recovery process. After an intensive rehab programme, it’s easy many times to find oneself lost and without purpose. Moreover, for a long time, the reason for getting up each day had been to get drunk or high. So now, you need a new purpose. For this and many other reasons, doing some volunteer work and helping others is a great idea.
  14. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

That is what everybody needs to keep in mind when they hit an all-time low. You can get up and kick ass, you've done it so many times, what makes you think you lost this "power"? There are days when we feel sad and upset, and there are days when we feel stronger than ever. That's what life is, with its ups and downs. That's why it's called a "fun carrousel ride", right? If a carrousel track followed a straight line it would be boring.
  15. tasha

tasha Community Listener Community Listener

Oh yes life is definitely not living on a straight line and you need to be strong enough to help others but if you have fallen and risen then you will be able to help others because the strength that got you here now is what will keep you moving and one day in the near future you will have a life full of love and happiness but until that day help others
  16. Mayoress

Mayoress Active Contributor

I totally agree with what you have just said. It's very hard not to go through the boring phase during recovery. So, you need to find something to occupy your time and keep you busy.
  17. Okaviator

Okaviator Senior Contributor

Once drug addicts have hit rock bottom, it really is impossible to do anything but stay at rock bottom right or get better. Support groups are also a very good way to keep a positive mentality and help get someone's mind away from drugs.